Swords....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Rabbi, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

I dont know much about swords. I dont really want to weed through the signal to noise ratio on a sword forum or google as I am not looking to become an expert or spend the time it takes to "know better." Glock Talk will get to the heart of the matter fairly quick....

What I am looking for is some links to places that sell or make "real" swords. Not recreations/display but swords of various kinds that are of a quality that is similar (or better) to what would have been made for actual battle. Functional pieces if you will.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  2. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Cold Steel makes some good swords. Check out the videos of them in use on the Cold Steel site.

3. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

go over to bladeforums dot com . im a member there and buy alot of custom knives there, most makers will make what you want , ive have seen 2 sowrds posted in last 2 weeks . i will try to find the pics and price

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/KK_Koala/Picture208257.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/KK_Koala/nagamaki001.jpg

a bunch have popped there in last 2 months , the ones pictured range from $250 to 400 .

because of copyright stuff i had to post link .

like i said ive had no problems with makers there doing requests . they are in the fixed blade section

just tell a maker what you want and presto . plus its not off the shelf blades . customs

4. AnimalK

AnimalK Kilted Muppet

5. Phantom465

Phantom465

What kind of sword are you looking for? Japanese? Civil War era? Or a knight in shining armor type sword?

One thing you can do is Google renaissance swords. There are some craftsmen who make swords that are used in choreographed fights at renaissance festivals. Some swords are just a costume piece, and some are the real thing. There are various levels of quality. Usually the more money, the better quality.

I have a daggar from Starfire Swords
    http://www.starfireswords.com/info/home.php

Their products do not have an edge. They are made for staged combat. But they can take a beating, as long as the swords are equally matched. (don't try to swing a rapier and great sword together)

6. Not a Doctor

Not a Doctor

7. Not a Doctor

Not a Doctor

Doh! Forgot this one. Great customer service and great products.

8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

9. scratchy wilson

scratchy wilson Silver Member

10. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

11. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

Mine are from Toledo, Spain. They're real. I don't know where to get them, because they were a gift.

12. metrogruntual

metrogruntual o__O

i'm not sure at what point a long knife becomes a sword

but if you aren't against the idea of shorter blades

i'd stick within the kali/escrima/arnis realm for edged weaponry

13. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

They are famous for their swords and cutlery,Toledo, Spain.

http://www.toledosword.com/medieval_sword.html

14. bithabus

bithabus

Most of the above are not "real" swords. Today there are few makers who care about the engineering specs because very few collectors use their swords as anything but wallhangers.

For actual performance, nothing beats Angel Sword. www.angelswordstore.com

S-7 steel blades, patented cyro processes, and a lifetime guarantee against any kind of failure.

All one of a kind, and made in Driftwood Texas. PM me if you want and I'll arrange a tour.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  15. BEER

BEER bad example

no no no, no, and no. did i mention no? and just in case anybody missed it, no.

museum replicas is an overpriced version of bud k, atlanta cutlery, and flea market dregs. i've personally owned 2 of their blades and they were both over priced trash. i've heard from 3 close friends that they've ordered from them before and also received sub par weapons. museum replica blades are meant to be hung on the wall and displayed, right next to the framed receipt showing how much you paid so people will see it and think "well it was expensive so it must be good."

if you want a "real" sword you're gonna have to pay for one, and if you're willing to pay then the first place i'd suggest would be angel sword armory. they make everything from full on fantasy style blades to true japanese style weapons made in the traditional manner.

if you check them out understand that they've got like 3-4 tiered lines with the highest being the actual angel sword line and the lowest being the buccaneer line i believe. so if you see one of their pieces priced at like 10k keep looking because there are much much cheaper swords available from them.

16. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

17. Rick C

Rick C affiant

18. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

19. lanternlad

lanternlad Mythmatician

Museum Replicas has their swords made for them by Windlass Steelcrafts in India. Windlass doesn't have the best reputation for making good stuff.

Myself, I like Cas Iberia/Cas Hanwei. A Cas Iberia is a Spanish company that recently merged with Paul Chen's Hanwei company from China. Paul Chen is a noted Samurai sword maker that uses traditional Japanese techniques to make his swords.

http://www.casiberia.com/

20. bithabus

bithabus

Paul Chen is not a swordmaker, he is a Chinese business man. Hanwei, Bugei, Cold Steel, Last Legend etc all make their swords in factories in the same town in China.