close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Switching to Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by USMC2111, Mar 25, 2010.

1. USMC2111

USMC2111

I had a Glock 20 a few years back, and I was unimpressed with glock since then until just a couple of days ago. The G20 was a 10mm, so the grip was fairly large. I'm 5'8, I dont have huge hands and the G20 was uncomfortable to me. And I wasn't accurate with it whatsoever, which is the main reason I got rid of it. I sold it and got an Springfield XD and was happy.

I am currently in the process of trying to get on at the Sheriff's department, and they require you to have a Glock of your choice in .40S&W, that will fit in a level 3 holster. They will not pay for it, they will however, lend you the money and dock a percentage of your pay until its paid off. I researched different glocks and decided that a G22 gen 4 would best fit this forced Glock duty weapon.

So, deciding that I am in a better money situation now than I will be when if get hired on at the sheriff's office, I went to my gun shop to pick one up. They were out of G22 Gen 4's, but had them in G17's, and they had a G23 RTF2 with straight serrations. First thing I noticed about the G17 gen 4, was it fit my hand WAY better than the G20 did. But I can't use that on the department. So I picked up the G23 RTF2, and wow! It stuck to my hand like glue! I bought it, took it to the range, and I must say that I am now a glock fan! My only complaint is the trigger doesnt feel that great to me. But I guess a 3.5# connector will fix that, so I hear from this website.

This 23 shoots better than my XDM, tighter groups, weighs less than my XD9mm subcompact, and the looks are growing on me! I liked it so much I went back to the gun shop and put a G27 with glock night sights on lay-a-way. I'm selling my XDM and giving my wife the XDsubcompact and the G27 will be my new concealed carry weapon. Now if they can just get another G22 gen 4 with night sights installed, I'll be set, regardless of whether I make it on the department or not. I'm glad I was FORCED into this decision! I know some will ask for pictures, so here ya go.

Attached Files:

2. J. Parker

J. Parker

Welcome to GlockTalk. Kick back and enjoy. I'm not an insane GlockHead but I always have one or two laying around. I like H&K's and Sig's but Glock's are a faithfull constant.

3. glockguerilla

glockguerilla

Congrats! The 23 keeps coming back as a favorite of mine... go-to piece. I actually shoot it more accurately than G19.

4. Flipz

Flipz

Congrats and WELCOME!

5. guns54

guns54 toni

welcome to GT.

6. JVO

JVO

Im glad to see you game to your senses and made a great decision.

:welcome:

7. WHEC724

WHEC724

On the advice of a friend, the first time that I ever picked up a Glock, I chose a target spot on the wall, closed my eyes, and raised the pistol to where I thought the target was. When I opened my eyes, the sights were dead on.

That was three Glocks ago for me. I collect many, but I carry Glock.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  8. das9mm26

das9mm26

USMC.....
    Congrats on the 23!!!
    As you've already found out...they "grow on you"!!:supergrin:
    Re: the 3.5 lb connector.....probably want to check with your Dept.
    (Hey...we're all rootin' for ya!) before making ANY mods to a weapon you'll be using ON-DUTY....Many local and state LE agencies REQUIRE your duty weapon to be "stock"....there's often some latitude when it comes to grips, sights and other "cosmetics"....but for triggers/sears/barrels, etc., the rule-of-thumb is (usually) "NO modifications" (insurance/liability issues....)
    Good Luck! Even if the Sheriff's job fizzles....you'll still have a really nice .40 that you'll be proud of!!

9. Scouse

Scouse

The trigger!!!!! NO NO! Leave it stock, the latest model Glocks have clean breaks on those 2k triggers.

Dept; re modifying triggers a no-no, and not required.

10. Girevik61

Girevik61

Semper Fi Devil Dog !!

11. telecster

telecster

I would like info on the 3.5 connector and the dept also..I love my new G-23 RTF2..Also you might want to check out the G-20sf..I have med size hands and it fits great.Try the 25 cent trigger job..Easy and it works.

12. Buki192327

Buki192327

Congrats on the G23. I love mine. I also love my G27. :supergrin:

Good luck on the job.

13. cmcinc

cmcinc

Congrats and welcome to GT.

14. USMC2111

USMC2111

Thanks for all the support! I will check with the dept first before making any changes. But after writing that first post, I got to thinking that I may need to put a few hundered rounds through the pistol before everything breaks in, including the trigger, giving it smoother pull. So I will do that first, and see what happens.

Semper Fi

15. Scott30

Scott30

Give the parts a $.25 trigger polish then go shoot the couple of hundred rounds. You will be amazed at the difference.

16. devildog24

devildog24

have 20,23,29. like all of them. cc the 23 the most probably because of the weight. SEMPER FI:wavey:

17. 17z

17z

Congrats on the G23. But,,,,,,,,, keep it stock just incase you are involved in a shooting if you ever have to discharge your weapon. I am not a cop but I have read in some of the writings of Massad Ayoob about police officers that did some changes to their service weapons and some officers almost went to prison. So, becarefull on what you do to your service weapon if you ever have to use it and like it was said before ask your commanderor supervisor if it is allowed. IF NOT,LEAVE IT STOCK. 17z

18. DRGNSLR

DRGNSLR

USMC2111:

Welcome to the forum from another newby.

I personally LOVE my G23 for many of the same reasons. I'm 5'8" and have somewhat smallish hands. I really like how the G23 "handles", points & shoots.

Had a sweet Baretta 92SB that shot very well and I never had a single FTE/FTE in over 8K rounds. But . . the grip was just too large. Switched to the G23 and have never looked back. I like Glocks so much that I added a G19 & G22 to the coral.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  19. glockguerilla

glockguerilla

+1 in some cases this concern is noteworthy for civilians too. Depends
    on the make up of grand jury & DA.

20. mesteve2

mesteve2

Go to a Glock leo dealer. that gun 398.20 + tax.

Get a level 3 Blackhawk holster. LA Police Gear.com.