Switching Glocks in the middle of a match?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by gary newport, Jul 5, 2007.

1. gary newport

gary newport

This is a purely hypothetical question. Suppose someone shooting A-C wanted to use a full-size Glock in the Five and M, but wanted to shoot the Plates with a compact model (which would also be legal in A-C). The entry form asks for the Glock model to be used in a division, but I don't recall anything in the GSSF rules which would mandate that only the model on the entry form be used in a division.

Would this be legal? If so, has anybody done it?

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I seem to recall this question came up 2 or 3 years ago and believe the answer was "no". Just to be safe though the question should be directed to GSSF for a correct answer. Sorry I can't be more help than this. Maybe someone else remembers.

3. gary newport

gary newport

Actually, I don't have much interest in doing it. As I recall reading, at the GSSF "Masters Invitational" a couple of years back, the Masters were shooting the three GAP Glock Models on three stages and most chose to go with the G37 on the Five, the G38 on the M and the G39 on the plates. That, and something I read about Dale Rhea preferring to use different ammo for different stages (147 on steel) caused me to think about it.

Speaking of different ammo, what would be the ruling on using different Glocks of the same model in different stages? In my experience, 9mm 115 and 147 grain bullets don't shoot to the same POI. Suppose a shooter had two G17s, each sighted in for a different load? (Yeah, I know. Why not just use the same load?)

Again, this is all hypothetical--but inquiring minds want to know!

4. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

As long as it's a legal Glock I wonder why it would matter? It's sort of like skirting around the rules for the ultimate trigger job, it may make you happy and confident but would you actually shoot better? Interesting, I thought about it once several years ago but couldn't really see where it would help me unless I had a gun go down that couldn't be fixed at the match.

5. ede

ede

i had wondered about it when i used a match dot on my UL gun. i felt it was better on paper but the cmore better on steel and at the time i had a piar of g34s, one with each sight. i ended up giving up on the match dot and using the cmore for everything.

6. JonInWA

JonInWA

Gary, while the rules don't specifically prohibit what your discussing, they seem to do so implicitly, in that you have to declare what specific Glock you'll be competing with in a given Division. In IDPA terms, it would arguably be a "Failure To Do Right."

Best, Jon

7. gary newport

gary newport

Perhaps the declaration is merely to confirm that the Glock model is legal for that division. What's your take on my follow-up question: using two different pistols of the same model in a single division?

Remeber, folks, this is for informational purposes only--and it evidently had occurred to a couple of other people in this thread.

8. JonInWA

JonInWA

Gary, I don't agree with it-but that pertains to how I approach GSSF matches, in that I do so to increase my skills, and my specific skill level one gun at a time. So, taking Robin Taylor's advice in "The Glock In Competition" p. 149, in a given GSSF match, while I'll shoot in 3 Divisions, I'll shoot the same gun in all three.

Realistically, in a self-defense situation, I'll probably only have one gun-so my performance needs to be up to snuff on THAT gun, as it's doubtful I'll have time to effect any equipment changes at that time...

The more I shoot, the more I've been realizing that it isn't so much finding the "perfect" gun/piece of equipment, it's being throughly familiar and trained on what I have, and using the tool to it's best advantage-not in necessarily buying more tools! Accordingly, in 2 of the GSSF matches, I'll shoot my G17, and in one I'll shoot my G21. I'll also prepare for the matches by a 10 minutes per day dryfire course regimen, and in the IDPA matches preceeding a given GSSF match, I'll use the appropriate Glock-this particularly helps with reaction time and distance shooting.

Does my G21 more authoritatively put down the steel targets? Sure! Is my G17 faster? Yep! (Well, that may be arguable with me and my skill set...). But for me, the value in any match is in improving my skills and actions with a given gun, as if I'm in a defensive situation, I'll have to do with what I have. That's about the best answer I can give you. So-while "gun switching" within a given GSSF division may be legal, to me it's outside of the spirit/intention-and, more importantly, for me, it would be counterproductive (even if it gave me a higher score).

Best, Jon

9. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

There is no specific rule against it.

If you had a gun break and the Armorer could not fix it, I am certain you would be allowed to substitute another gun that is also legal in that Division so you could finish.

HOWEVER.

If you are switching guns simply to gain some sort of competitive advantage, Scott, Chris, or possibly Cindy would be making the call to allow it or not.

All three of them are long time USPSA shooters and all three of them take a dim view of "Range Lawyers" who try to manipulate the rules in order to gain a competitive advantage.

Where the reason for switching is simply for competitive advantage, their answer would probably be "no".

;)

10. ede

ede

i've switched before because the ROs mixed up score sheets, but i don't think that counts