close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Switching from Cable to DSL

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Kastivich01, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Kastivich01

Kastivich01

Im switching from 6 Mbps cable connection (Comcast) to 3 Mbps DSL (Verizon) connection. Am I going to be disappointed?

2. geekboy

geekboy Glock Lover

It depends... really. While Comcast will claim "up to" 6Mbps, you will not get that except for late at night or in the morning (when the kids aer in school)! Try getting 6 Mbps at 4-7PM on school nights. :) DSL has similar problems, but they are not as drastic as I've seen on Cable (COMCAST, Brighthouse, etc). DSL had been very consistent for me.

I like neither Cable nor DSL anymore. I'm hooked on Fiber! (Verizon FiOS)

Edited: grammar mostly... :)

3. lcarreau

lcarreau Reload Artist

I made the same change because cable was very unreliable. I would be on fios if it was available in my area. DSL was far more reliable than cable for me.

-Lonnie

4. Kastivich01

Kastivich01

I just looked up the FiOS. Looks impressive. Unfortunately its not available in my area.

5. lens

lens

I regularly get 6.5-8Mbps on Comcast at all hours of the day/night.

A lot has to do with your neighborhood (it's a LAN you're hooked to with Comcast). I guess we don't have a ton of gamers here. :)

I have found Comcast to be rock solid with the only outages during the past 5 years due to power outages and a pole hit with the main trunk line to the "head end" of Comcast. Total outages have probably been 5 times in 5 years per above.

I love the Comcast "slowskis" ad against Verizon DSL, as they are indeed telling the truth.

You will find the speed very slow if you actually used speed with Comcast. Comcast does indeed cost a lot more than DSL, but you get what you paid for!

Verizon wouldn't even respond to my request for DSL ~6 years ago, so I never got a chance to try them out. Now they can't beg me enough, but they'll likely never get me back. I even have phone service with Comcast now.

6. geekboy

geekboy Glock Lover

I will agree that Comcast has stepped up to the plate, and in some areas, are competing with FiOS with speeds of 50Mbps. I too didn't like my DSL speeds and had switched from Verizon DSL to Brighthouse RoadRunner Biz. When FiOS was offered to our master planned community, I was the first in line! I have two fiber (FiOS) drops at my home. One business, one residential. If I didn't have FiOS, I would certainly be on Biz Cable.

7. JMag

JMag

I think cable will again be in your future...

:thumbsup:

8. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

I get 10 meg with Insight.. It's a solid 10 meg except for the hours of 5pm to 9pm in the evening when everyone else is on, it varys between 6 and 8 meg then....

My step daughter and her husband have DSL.. It's ok for checking email... But.. If you're into downloads DSL will make you cry..

9. dissthis

dissthis Gun Fan

Question...
    how do you know how many mbps you are getting??

thanks

10. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

11. geekboy

geekboy Glock Lover

12. dissthis

dissthis Gun Fan

thanks for the site
    Here are my results = Comcast

download = 3520kbps

upload = 361kbps

I am not sure exactly what those numbers mean, but from the posts above I am not very impressed

13. geekboy

geekboy Glock Lover

Did you use a "test site" which was "closest" (physically) to your home/state? FOr example, I'm in Florida, and I use Atlanta Georgia.

I get... (TESTING TO ATLANTA GEORGIA)

download = 13469 kbps

upload = 1803 kbps

I have two FiOS lines here at home but they are separated. The test was performed on my business line which is 15Mbps download and 2Mbps upload. It's 11:00AM here in Florida. Rerunning the test yielded 13753 kbps download and 1829 kbps upload, so it's pretty consistent.

I can't wait until they offer the 50Mbps speed here. FiOS does offer a 30Mbps service here, but it's like $199/month for it!

(TESTING TO WASHINGTON DC)
    ===========================
    download = 13339 kbps

upload = 1828 kbps

(TESTING TO NYC NY)
    ===========================
    download = 11999 kbps

upload = 1833 kbps

Edited: to correct bits and bytes :)

14. Kastivich01

Kastivich01

I doubt it. Not for the $57 a month it cost.

15. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

My cable ISP offers 3 different levels of service.

I have the lowest/cheapest and my results are:

295 kbps download
    311 kbps upload

I'm sure that's comparatively slow, but after having dialup for so many prior years, I'm reasonably satisfied.

16. geekboy

geekboy Glock Lover

Interestingly, Verizon charges LESS for the FiOS service than for the DSL service. That's with a base package that's 15/2 MBps (down/up) speed. Unfortunately, they don't offer FiOS everywhere, and there are writeups claiming that Verizion is only converting ("wiring") the affluent areas, mostly suburbs, and hardly any downtown (inner city) areas.

17. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

That is a slick site...thanks ;)

18. Cassius

Cassius

You see the ad for the T1 on there? $389 a month for a full T1! That's incredible!

(At my last job we were paying $650 a month for one right outside Indy and $900 a month for one farther north)

19. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

If they offered it in my suburb, I would be on it like white on rice, but no such luck. I'm with DSL, and it mostly works, but I am neither impressed with speed nor with reliability (lots of annoying little 30-second hiccups). Sure beats dialup, though.

20. geekboy

geekboy Glock Lover

I am very happy that I have it, and extremely pleased with the flawless service! Much better overall service (availability, latency, lost packets, uptime, customer service) than any cable company or DSL product I have ever used.

I did have great DSL service once. I had a service via the "Orlando Telephone Company" (OTC) - a CLEC from Orlando Florida. They would provide a DSL line which was SDSL providing 1.5MBps upload and download. The lines were $35.00/month each... so I purchased two of them at my home and bound them together with a Nexland (Symantec) ISB Pro 800. I had very great speed for $70.00/month in 2001. OTC was so small (and great) that I could call the support person directly, and I could suthorize my apartment management to let him in when he came to address the one problem I ever had! That was special!