Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
PF940v2 G34
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've recently decided to get rid of my extended slide stop and return to the factory component. The reason is that when I changed my grip I started to have problems with the side of my palm activating the slide stop. I haven't done it yet and I'm posting to see if anyone else has encountered this issue.

It "technically" doesn't ever get pressed as it is not a slide release but rather a slide lock. Between the chambermax, rmr, front cocking serrations, and suppressor height sights I don't think I should ever really have an issue racking the slide.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thats what i did, thought it was cool because it seemed extended controls were on the glock 19m pistols, which was used by the FBI. and of course they know everything right? wrong Well they probably went to gen 5 19 MOS now without the extended stuff. Then saw the james yeager video widgets
changed all mine back, but stuck with them now...Oh and another thing im going back to .40 after watching the paul harrell video
. So dont feel too bad it happens to all of us...

·
Registered
PF940v2 G34
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the OEM non-extendos have regained popularity in the competition community as well

Oh and another thing im going back to .40 after watching the paul harrell video
I did a lot of pondering before switching to 9mm. What I decided was;

I wanted more capacity in the magazines that I carry

I carry full size + 9mms, G34 Sig M17 so I have more barrel length than say a g19 or g26 I also rock threaded barrels just for the extra velocity

I found a factory 9mm round that very much satisfies me, Liberty Ammunition Civil Defense 9mm, it seems it is able to penetrate 3a soft armor, and the pressure cavity created by these rounds is absolutely huge

I also saw a video of a Russian police officer dispatch a charging brown bear so that gave me a bit more confidence.

Also the U.S. Army's decision to use 9mm for the M17 was based on extensive testing

Im not trying to start an argument I'm just providing my opinion on the whole 9mm vs .40 debate and presenting information together that i have yet to find in the same place.
Most things in the firearms world comes down to personal choice, my choice is 9mm based on my own reasons and is subject to change if i want it to. Everyone else has their own choice in caliber based on their own reasons and can change it if they want it to.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Interesting data set but I feel like there's a few missing pieces here.

115gr 9mm federal isn't gold standard for defense ammo. A 124/147 from HST, golden saber or Gold Dot, ranger would be a better comparison.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't most LE using a 166gr not the 180 which more mass = more penetration and slower speed and would be better compared to 147?

Modern hollow points are very similar in testing and using 2 lesser used and street verified options for 9 seem to sway the data along with shooting 115 vs 180 (lightest vs heaviest for caliber). F

Being completely honest, most of this fails to matter to the general public due to lack of training and shooting. If you cant hit the target, the rest is immaterial and heck handguns are not great fight stoppers no matter the size most times (most times vs rifle/shotguns etc).

·
Banned
15,909 Posts
If your practice doesn’t include hitting the Stop/Release then keep it out of the way

·
NRA Life Member
73,739 Posts
Hello, I've recently decided to get rid of my extended slide stop and return to the factory component. The reason is that when I changed my grip I started to have problems with the side of my palm activating the slide stop. I haven't done it yet and I'm posting to see if anyone else has encountered this issue.

It "technically" doesn't ever get pressed as it is not a slide release but rather a slide lock. Between the chambermax, rmr, front cocking serrations, and suppressor height sights I don't think I should ever really have an issue racking the slide.
I tried an extended slide stop years ago, but it led to both unintended slide lock-back and unintended failure to lock back. I went back to factory stock.

I do use the slide stop to release the slide when I reload, but the extended slide stop does more harm than good.

·
Private side
13,333 Posts

Slide stop lever

·
Registered
760 Posts
At some point over the last year I finally wore down the slide stop notch on my main training glock's slide from using the stop as a release, to where it doesn't really hold open well. If I was to do it all over, I still wouldn't change a thing. It's just so much faster.

As for the extendos vs oem, yeah my support hand thumb meat ran havoc on the oem and ghost forward extedos too. I went with Kagwerks which solved issues for the most part. I also now lay off the exaggerated overdriving of the gun to extremes, with even better results to my shooting than before. My tendinitis thanked me too.

·
MacGyver
10,011 Posts
OR, You can just punch the mag in, bounce the lever, and not even have to touch the lever for the slide to go home.

Called the "easter egg", "pro hack", "workaround" , or "defective" by some.

I call it a "bonus feature".

The extended lever has it's downsides. If you have a pro style, high riding thumb, it can affect the slide locking back on the last round, or prematurely drop the slide on reloads. If you have a beginners thumb, it can lock slide back prematurely if you have no recoil control. Finally, there has to be holster allowance for that extra bump.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Extended slide stops are crutches for those who do not put in the time to develop skills.
Or because some people can drive a manual transmission and others can't? Or because everyone has the choice to train the way they choose or in the style of THEIR instructors? Or because some people have large hands and some people have small ones?
Extended controls mean nothing important except
1. Do they meet your needs, and
2. Do they compromise function or reliability of the weapon.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Extended slide stops are crutches for those who do not put in the time to develop skills.
Wow. I've heard a lot of judgemental accusations on this forum about gear selection, but this one made me spit my coffee on my keyboard! :LOL: Kudos.

Do you mind explaining where you're coming from on this since I think you're actually serious? How is hand size or personal grip ergonomics tied to a lack of skill? Or is it a belief that use of a slide stop as a release in any fashion is because someone hasn't "trained hard enough" to automatically grip the slide, pull back and let go. That's not exactly a hard skill to master. My assumption is that a person is probably competent in either option but chooses to employ one over another based on circumstance or perceived benefits.

·
G43 Fanboy
3,142 Posts
FWIW,
How well the extended Slide Stop/Release Lever works for a particular Glock user largely depends on 1) his/her hand size and 2) how the s/he holds the gun, but definitely not on how much (or little) time the shooter has put in to develop the skills to manipulate the small OEM “Slide Stop Lever” originally designed by an engineer who was obviously unfamiliar with handguns.:LOL: (Unlike John Moses Browning, Gaston Glock was unfamiliar with handguns. That’s why he was able to come up with such an innovative handgun.;))

For instance, shooters with large hands and those who hold a handgun with high thumbs are likely to experience unintentional actuation or non-actuation of the extended slide stop/release lever. However, for shooters with small hands and those who hold a handgun in an old fashioned way with the thumbs tucked the extended lever may work well.

Obviously a simplistic dichotomy of “extended slide stop/release levers are great” or “extended slide stop/release levers are bad” applied unrestrictedly to all shooters makes little logical sense.

·
Registered
38,405 Posts
If you can experience premature slide-lock on a sunny day at a range, in controlled and relaxed shooting conditions, because your hands and grip may sometimes interfere with the slide-stop lever ... imagine what might happen in some chaotic, frenetic situation not of your own choosing, outside the range.

FWIW, I've never wished to install an OEM extended lever assembly on my own 9/.40 Glocks. Then again, I've never bought a model which came with one, either (because Glock thought the slide/frame "ratio" needed it).

Suit yourself.

·
On the Border
15,755 Posts
OR, You can just punch the mag in, bounce the lever, and not even have to touch the lever for the slide to go home.

Called the "easter egg", "pro hack", "workaround" , or "defective" by some.

I call it a "bonus feature".

The extended lever has it's downsides. If you have a pro style, high riding thumb, it can affect the slide locking back on the last round, or prematurely drop the slide on reloads. If you have a beginners thumb, it can lock slide back prematurely if you have no recoil control. Finally, there has to be holster allowance for that extra bump.
I agree auto-forward works fine for guns with more mass like Tanfo and CZ. It's also easy to tune them without messing with the slide. But my experience with Glocks is that they don't auto-forward 100%, and it doesn't add any time for me to drop the slide with the extended OE catch.

For sure, it's personal preference, though.

·
Registered
25,122 Posts
The extended stops never worked for me. My big hands always seem to activate them. The regular OEM works much better. The Kagwerks that someone else mentioned works even better for me.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Now correct me if I'm wrong but we are talking about the little nub on the slide stop?

And from the jist of this thread I'm to understand that those who for whatever reason have trouble with it are more skilled and better shooters than those who have never had an issue after years and thousands of rounds of using them and they need to develop their skills???

Ooookay....well I guess you learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Now correct me if I'm wrong but we are talking about the little nub on the slide stop?

And from the jist of this thread I'm to understand that those who for whatever reason have trouble with it are more skilled and better shooters than those who have never had an issue after years and thousands of rounds of using them and they need to develop their skills???

Ooookay....well I guess you learn something new everyday.
Yeah...go figure...

·
Registered
38,405 Posts
Some shooter's transform their grip so it works with a specific pistol platform.

Others use a foundation grip that can work with any pistol, regardless of the external features or controls, and/or with any revolver (whether DA/DAO or SA).

Suit yourself, for whatever reason(s) seems appropriate for the task.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts