GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
On the Border
15,281 Posts
Some states prohibit ownership of auto's, some prohibit carry and some prohibit concealed carry. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if there are any states where they are completely unrestricted.

Just need to check your state laws. And also, be aware that municipal regulations can have a higher level of constraint than the laws of their states.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Missouri is bizarre on these type knives. I've heard no telling how many different interpretations of the law from many lawyers, two of them are prosecutors. The same goes with blackjacks and saps. I have a CCW, but depending on where I am it only covers firearms. I wish Jeff City would get their collective heads out of their collective butts.

·
Federal Member
29,221 Posts
I have several switch blade knives. I like them, but I also have several assisted opening knives. I have found with a little "tuning", (touch of gun oil and screw adjustment) the assisted opening knives can easily open faster than a switch blade.

My Gerber Covert is one of my favorites for EDC.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Gerber-Covert-Spring--4052

:cool:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Flame suit is on...so here goes. I have a spring assisted opener made by Milwaukee...yep...the power tool company. I beat this thing like a red headed stepchild...no offense, and it's rock solid and stays sharp. Got it on sale at Home Depot...$24.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
For a spring assisted knive a lot of Kershaws are 40 dollars or less.If you want a switchblade buy a Protech tactical response 3 and it will last about as long as a glock.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I have many knives.

A conventional side folding switchblade these days are a novelty.

Out the front knives have more tactical utility. I prefer Microtech above all other brands.

Legality makes these limited for many people.

There are spring assist, thumb hole knives like Spyderco, or thumb stud blades that open as fast as a switchblade.

Balisongs are of the similar family of single handed opening, but those are also restricted in many states.

I have found that an Emerson Wave folder to open faster than any of the above from the pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I’m in tennessee and I carry a benchmade infidel OTF as my daily

·
Scottish Member
11,212 Posts
........ Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if there are any states where they are completely unrestricted.
Tennessee.

I have a Kershaw automatic that I’m pretty pleased with.

Launch 11

Reactions: Tuscany

·
Sarcasm Inc.
15,075 Posts
I have bought some decent ones from Blade HQ for under $100. I keep those in each of my cars, I carry a bench made infidel in my pocket, I think I paid almost $300 for it new a few years back

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Buck makes a variety of quality auto knives including versions of their heavy duty work horses, the 110 and 112. I carry the 110 auto on duty. The 112 is a smaller version, and it would be ideal for a boy.

·
NRA Life Member, G.O.A Member
150 Posts
Here in Maine automatic knives became legal at the same time "constitutional carry" came into effect. I bought a Benchmade 2551 soon afterwards. Keeps an edge better than my previous pocket knife, but thinner weaker blade. Laws vary by state.

Carried a benchmade switchblade for years as a cop. People didn't understand, it wasn't for protection but to cut a seatbelts off of someone in a hurry.

·
Registered
10,574 Posts
i've been using a Kershaw 3650st for years, fantastic knife for the money.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,115 Posts
Depends on the State; in some, Automatics and assisted opening are legal. In others neither are legal.
And some states, certain knives are legal to buy and own but not legal to carry, such as a dagger or "dirk", a butterfly knife, or an automatic opening knife.

If I were going to carry a knife rather than a gun for defensive purposes, the one knife I would want to carry would be the Sykes-Fairburn dagger. I have one and they are still made by the original contractors and have the British proof marks and they are beautifully made and have a beautiful high gloss blued blade. But in my state, it is not legal to carry such a knife either openly or concealed.

I also have a butterfly knife and at one time I could open and close it with great dramatic flourish but I'm out of practice now. And years ago I wore carpenter's pants to work (Dickies)
and carried a Spyderco Endura in the right side screwdriver pocket which was just at the right height for may hand and teh clip was at the bottom so that the knife was upside down so that the hole in the blade was in the right position for my thumb and I could draw that knife and have the blade out in one fluid motion faster than I could get a fixed blade belt knife out out a sheath.

But realistically a knife isn't much good as a defensive weapon unless you're young an strong and skilled at hand-to-hand combat. The gun is the great equalizer.

The one switchblade I've always wanted, just for fun, is one of the classic Italian switchblades which were so notorious and infamous in the fifties when I was growing up. They were the "Assault Weapons" of their day, the weapon of choice of juvenile delinquents.

My younger brother had one back when we were in high school in the sixties but he was caught with it at school and had it taken a way from him. It was a nice one, about eleven inches when opened with a black handle.

These knives are still being made today, by AGA Campolin and Frank Beltrame and are about $150.00 average price.

http://www.agacampolin.com/

https://www.myswitchblade.com/14-11-italian-stiletto-switchblade-knife

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I won’t get into the laws, but as far as good and bad knives, they range from cheap junk to unbelievably expensive unobtainium.

A good starter auto that won’t break the bank is the Boker Kalishnakov. If you want to spend a bit more then Kershaw makes a pile of them that are reasonably priced and good quality.

·
Registered
13,903 Posts
Hi. I know nothing about knives. There, I said it.
My son is 16 and loves knives. He has... a lot.
He received his Christmas money and is now in the market for a switchblade. I have no idea why. He just wants one.
Are there any that’s actually any good?
Assisted-opening knives better and I should try to talk him into one of those types instead?

Also, there is a section at Buds Gunshop that appears to be assisted-opening knives that says “Law Enforcement only”, anyone know why? I can get one of those if there’s a good reason as to why I would.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best auto for the money is Boker IMHO.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Burnley-Kihon-Desert-Warrior--101391

I have 3 Auto knives and they are now legal here in TX. They are OK but I still prefer Flippers with ball bearing action, preferably a frame lock. They open just as fat as auto knives and are legal in most states. I have many older Kershaw assisted opening knives and they are decent too but I always go back to the ball bearing flippers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Switchblades / automatics are really novelties more than anything else. With the exception of D/A OTFs such as Microtechs, they are actually kind of inconvenient to use, as you have to overcome strong spring tension to close it. However, they're still fun to have in a collection, and the Kershaw Launch series is the best you can do under $100 in my opinion.

·
Anti-Federalist
17,725 Posts
Switchblades / automatics are really novelties more than anything else. With the exception of D/A OTFs such as Microtechs, they are actually kind of inconvenient to use, as you have to overcome strong spring tension to close it. However, they're still fun to have in a collection, and the Kershaw Launch series is the best you can do under $100 in my opinion.

I've used them for real work, both OTS and OTF. They are certainly more than novelties and it's only lack of technique that make them difficult to close even one handed.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts