Switchblades?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by Teecher45, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Teecher45

Teecher45

Hi. I know nothing about knives. There, I said it.
    My son is 16 and loves knives. He has... a lot.
    He received his Christmas money and is now in the market for a switchblade. I have no idea why. He just wants one.
    Are there any that’s actually any good?
    Assisted-opening knives better and I should try to talk him into one of those types instead?

Also, there is a section at Buds Gunshop that appears to be assisted-opening knives that says “Law Enforcement only”, anyone know why? I can get one of those if there’s a good reason as to why I would.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

A lot of teenage boys love knives, it seems to be a phase. My nephews went through it and my sons are starting to, I even went through it 30+ years ago. Don't worry about quality, he's probably more into quantity and different types right now.

Check your local laws and watch him like a hawk, a Rambo knife in his room is one thing but running the streets with it is another, same with a switchblade.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    lazarus66, nursetim and FullClip like this.

3. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Depends on the State; in some, Automatics and assisted opening are legal. In others neither are legal.

nursetim and glock1097 like this.
  4. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Here in Maine automatic knives became legal at the same time "constitutional carry" came into effect. I bought a Benchmade 2551 soon afterwards. Keeps an edge better than my previous pocket knife, but thinner weaker blade. Laws vary by state.

[​IMG]

Just_plinking, Bus007 and willie_pete like this.
  5. Ekmek75

Ekmek75

Check out Mikov knives from the Czech Republic. Really good quality and very cool.

Teecher45 likes this.
  6. oldmick

oldmick

I think the best course is to look up local or state laws or ordinances. Ohio laws are vague regarding blade length, method of opening etc.

Also, try to determine the definition of concealed in your state. A folder with a clip displays a portion of the knife so that it MAY not be considered a concealed “weapon”.

I’m no lawyer, this is just what I’ve pieced together trying to learn the legality of carrying a folder like a Spyderco Delica clipped to my pocket. No easy task.

My conclusion? I may get arrested for the knife if the LEO decides that what he wants to do. My handgun license doesn’t cover edged devices. So I may beat the rap, but not the ride. I’m willing to take the chance because I find myself using the knife several times a day to open or cut stuff, and haven’t been stopped by LE for around fifteen years.

7. jdgiii

jdgiii

If you’re in a state that allows the carry of auto opening knives,I’d recommend taking a look at the Boker Kalishnakov auto. They have a nice selection of styles on www.bladehq.com and they can be had for under $40.00. Very positive action and won’t leave you crying if you lose or break it. I’m my opinion a great value for the money.

Ofc.JL likes this.
  8. Teecher45

Teecher45

9. John Watson

John Watson

I bought two of these, one for me and one for my son (35 yr old) for Christmas. We both like them and the D2 steel should hold up well.
    [​IMG]
    Boker Plus Strike Drop Point Automatic Knife OD Green (3.25" Black D2)

10. cbird77

cbird77

Search the web for OTF Knives (out the front). You can get a decent blade with good steel between $70 - $100.

11. OXMYX

OXMYX

Since China is making knives for the big brand names, buy their knockoffs which are just as good and a lot cheaper.

12. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

Check your state and local municipal laws first. Across my state there is a patchwork of city knife ordinances, some forbidding switchblades, some not, some have blade length restrictions, some not.
    I bought a couple Boker Kalashnikovs, but with my arthritis, they were harder and slower for me to open than a spring assisted flipper, so I gave them to my GF. They seemed decent for a $40 knife. I also got the GF a more expensive SOG switchblade and it was much easier to open and she loves it.

You can go to BladeHQ and read reviews,

13. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

Best to check your local laws. I know in some areas, it’s legal to own s switch blade - but you can’t carry it. Go figure?

14. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

After having carried both switches and assisted for many years(I am an LEO), 2 things happened. Here in Texas, switchblades became legal several years ago, and I noticed that a right hand switch could be problematic to use left handed. I tried assisted, and much prefer those, as w/ the kicker on the back upper spin, either hand can fire the blade. Just my $.02.
    Oh, and I like Kershaws a lot.

15. Bradley T

Bradley T

Here is a little knife with a spring assissted blade. May be legal where switchblades aren't:
    IMG_20200102_083455032.jpg
    Cool little knife to just have anyway.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  16. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

Me, too. My EDC blade is a Kershaw Cryo and I love it.

Ofc.JL likes this.
  17. FireMedic-50

FireMedic-50

Agree with the others, check local laws.

First responders don't have an issue.

Now a days a 'switch blade' is refered to as an 'automatic knife'.

18. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

Switchblades are legal in New York State outside of NYC while you are fishing.

19. lazarus66

lazarus66

Check out the Italian stilletos at Latama Cutlery.

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Here in Kentucky, your son would be arrested if he was caught with a switchblade in his pocket. I imagine that is true in plenty of other states. He'd have to be 21 before he could carry one concealed. KRS 527.020.

As for Bud's, they can't legally mail a switchblade to you:

18 U.S. Code § 1716.Injurious articles as nonmailable

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1716

(g)All knives having a blade which opens automatically (1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle of the knife, or (2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both, are nonmailable and shall not be deposited in or carried by the mails or delivered by any officer or employee of the Postal Service. Such knives may be conveyed in the mails, under such regulations as the Postal Service shall prescribe—
    (1)to civilian or Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal Government ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of the Federal Government;
    (2)to supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National Guard, or militia of a State ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of such organizations;
    (3)to supply or procurement officers or employees of any State, or any political subdivision of a State or Territory, ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of such government; and
    (4)to manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant to an order from any person designated in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3).
    The Postal Service may require, as a condition of conveying any such knife in the mails, that any person proposing to mail such knife explain in writing to the satisfaction of the Postal Service that the mailing of such knife will not be in violation of this section.

It's also a federal felony to get one from another state.

CHAPTER 29—MANUFACTURE, TRANSPORTATION, OR DISTRIBUTION OF SWITCHBLADE KNIVES
    https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USCODE-2011-title15/html/USCODE-2011-title15-chap29.htm

§1242. Introduction, manufacture for introduction, transportation or distribution in interstate commerce; penalty
    Whoever knowingly introduces, or manufactures for introduction, into interstate commerce, or transports or distributes in interstate commerce, any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

§1243. Manufacture, sale, or possession within specific jurisdictions; penalty
    Whoever, within any Territory or possession of the United States, within Indian country (as defined in section 1151 of title 18), or within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States (as defined in section 7 of title 18), manufactures, sells, or possesses any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Wikipedia's explanation for why we are allowed to buy them is:
    The Switchblade Knife Act, (Pub.L. 85–623, 72 Stat. 562, enacted on August 12, 1958, and codified in 15 U.S.C. §§ 1241–1245), prohibits the manufacture, importation, distribution, transportation, and sale of switchblade knives in commercial transactions substantially affecting interstate commerce[72] between any state, territory, possession of the United States, or the District of Columbia, and any place outside that state, territory, U.S. possession, or the District of Columbia. The Act also prohibits possession of such knives on federal or Indian lands or on lands subject to federal jurisdiction. It does not prohibit the ownership or carrying of automatic knives or switchblades inside a state while not on federal property, nor does it prohibit the acquisition or disposition of such knives in an intrastate transaction or an interstate transaction that is noncommercial and/or does not substantially affect interstate commerce (as defined by recent decisions of the U.S. Supreme Court).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020