close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Switch from G27 to a G29?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DrtyHarry, Feb 25, 2010.

1. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

My EDC is a G27, had it for about 5 years and put at least 5K rounds down range with it. It carries well concealed and it's good fun at the range.

I'm picking up a G20 next week and am toying with the notion of getting the G29 as well, to replace my EDC G27. I've gone 10mm crazy since I put 200 rounds in my buddies G20sf the other week. I love this cartridge, just not so sure how it will preform out of such a short barrel (compared to the 20).

Mind you, this will be my EDC and I need to be able to be able to make same/similar follow up shots as I can with my 27. How much more aggressive will the 29 be compared to the 27 in terms of recoil?

I have not had much time to handle much less shoot a G29. I know it's a little bigger than my G27, what I would really like to know is if it will carry as easy as my 27 does...or close to it. I sometimes wear the 27 on my ankle, is the 29 too big for ankle carry? I can see the specs where the 29 is bigger, but I'd like to hear from guys who have carried both and can compare between the two in the real life carry world.

Thanks!

DH

2. oISHUTupNrocKIo

oISHUTupNrocKIo Glock Lover

I would also love to see some info on this, I love both the 27 and 29.

3. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I think the 26/27 are pushing the upper limits for ankle carry. The 29 is not only bigger but loaded is like 6 oz. heavier than the 27.

For ankle BUG use I think you'd be better off with .357 SIG or .45 GAP.

5. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I have both and I don't find the G29 recoil to be much if any snappier than the G27. The added bulk seems to even them out. If you buy bulk from Georgia Arms canned heat, you can get pretty decent deals on practice ammo. Double Tap will be where you'll want to get you SD ammo from. Although, whenever I run across a box of 175gr Winchester Silvertips, I usually buy them, if they're not to overpriced.

6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Oh, and as far as CC goes, the Crossbreed Supertuck is an awesome holster. I've never tried an ankle rig for any of my guns. I can see it's use while driving, but other than that, I don't see too many positives.

7. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Thanks!

DH

8. Chevy327

Chevy327

From a self-defense handgun effectiveness standpoint, do you think you gain very much going from .40 cal to 10mm?

If it was a last-ditch woods pistol, I'd say it's worth the extra size and weight.

I've carried the model 30 and the model 27 concealed, but neither on an ankle holster. The model 30 is noticeably larger and heavier.

If you can only keep one, I'd stay with the 27. Obviously, they're both great pistols.

9. tlen

tlen

You need to post and/or subscribe to "The 10 Ring" Forum.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  10. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

From a self defense view, not very much. But, a buddy of mine decided to start rolling his own 10mm ammo and I would be getting a big break in the cost of some of it.

DH

11. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Yes, I do. My G20sf should arrive next week and as soon as it does, I'll subscribe. I now do realize I should have posted this thread in that section of the board.

DH

12. Chevy327

Chevy327

Inexpensive reloaded ammo is a great reason to get a Model 29.

It's always fun to have something new. It sounds like you have alot of experience with the Model 27 and, by now, you've long sense absorbed the cost. I hope you keep the model 27.

I think it will make you give the Model 29 more of a chance (not so worried you made a mistake).

With a reasonably loaded handload and the larger delivery system (including the wider grip surface area of the Model 29), you may have less recoil impulse and shoot the 29 better than you did the 27. You may look back and think it was the best move you could have made!