close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Swimming pool in backyard, yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sideseal, Jul 17, 2012.

1. sideseal

sideseal

Wife wants a pool installed. Nothing fancy with waterfalls or any crap like that. Just something the wife, myself, and our 8 year old can have fun in.

We have two pools in our subdivison that are always packed with people and usually close once a week because some kid craps/throws up in them. Also, they aren't very deep (3.5' feet).

Any advice would be appreciated-monthly costs on chemicals, long term costs, etc....

Btw, I live in Ft. Worth. It's 100+ degrees out. I could see us using the pool from around April-Sept/Oct.

2. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Your neighbors will welcome a third pool in the neighborhood. :thumbsup:

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Dig a hole. Fill it with money.

Faster that way.

4. JW1178

JW1178

Pools do have a cost in upkeep, and they are a lot of work, but they are nice. Also factor in the cost of insurance. A pool is called an attractive nuesense. Some kid drowns in your pool, their mom and dad are going to want a payment since they couldn't watch their children.

5. meathead19

meathead19

Only way I'd do it is with a saltwater pool system, but I still wouldn't.

6. stopatrain

stopatrain Lifetime Member

I wish I could give you mine.

7. michael e

michael e

My parents have one, I love it. But dad is always fixxing something on it, the heater has been out for couple of years. Not really a rush to get it fixxed in Texas.
    Another thing to factor in the added water you will use, with our heat it evaporates and we usually have to add water every weekend when we go over. Personally I wouldn't want the headach of having my own.

8. VELO

VELO

<----- Owned a house with a pool for seven years.

<----- Would likely not buy another house with a pool.

It's not really about the costs to upkeep. You'll spend a couple hundred in the spring to open it up, another hundred or so on chemicals throughout the year and another couple hundred to close it up at the end of the season. Water and electricity/gas bills will go up a bit from keeping it full due to evaporation and running the pump/heater. For me it was about the time it took to keep it up vs. the amount of time it was actually used. Wasn't worth it IMHO.

9. Tx_Angus

Tx_Angus Wage Slave

Have had one for 15 years. I love it, and no the maintenance is not that bad.

10. DaneA

DaneA

Check out fiberglass pools. Easy to install, less maintenance, and in grounds add more value to your property. I used to sell these:
    http://www.vikingpools.net/

They also have a self cleaning option.

11. VELO

VELO

No they don't.

12. soflasmg

soflasmg

Here in FL maintainence is 80 bucks a month for my 18x34 free form pool.

I guess it costs 50 bucks to run the pump or so.

Fiberglass is worth a look, make sure they don't put crap lights in it though, they like to use little crappy lights in fiberglass pools. Color LED is the way to go!

Pools are awesome, I love mine and wouldn't be without unless I couldn't swing it financially.

13. Fragman

Fragman

Really they don't. Two comparable houses, one with a pool, one without, they go for pretty much identical money. At least in my neighbourhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. SpoiledBySig

SpoiledBySig Millennium Member

From 1987 until 2000, we had a fiberglass pool at our home-

[​IMG]

It was very easy to clean and maintain. We moved away and had no pool until about 10-11 years later...the kids bugged me everyday for a pool.

I finally gave in in June of 2011 and got another pool put into our side yard lot. It had to be a fiberglass pool again and this time I had to have it enclosed because there is so much wooded area foliage surrounding my yards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have never owned a concrete pool, only fiberglass. They cost more, but they last forever, need far less chemicals and maintenance.

15. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

Make sure to save $ in the budget for a fence that will at least keep young kids that can't swim out.

16. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I've knows several people with pools. Two families that I know of use them, the rest ended up removing them or letting them go. In fairness those who do use them use them almost daily.

I think it is more like a lifestyle, if you are into it it is worth it but most people just want to play with it for a while and them lose interest.

17. stopatrain

stopatrain Lifetime Member

If you want a pool buy a house with one, you will get it for free. Add a pool to your house and spend 30-40k or more. When you sell your house it will take longer to sell and you will loose the cost of your pool.

18. DaneA

DaneA

Sorry, let me clarify, compared to an above ground pool or even possibly an in ground with a liner.

19. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

With a heater, and not using it much, your swim season can easily be late May through early November. If you use a spa you can use it all year long.

20. bonehead098

bonehead098

We built our free form pool 12 years ago. We shopped for a yr. & a half before taking the plunge. Pool companies want to sell you what they want & not what you want. Ultimately we got what WE wanted by finding a private contractor & he did the design that we wanted. Ours is the lowest maintenance of all of our friends because we shopped & educated ourselves. Ovesized plumbing, pump & a good quality DE filter are the keys to low maintenance. Automatic pool cleaner is a must or a built in cleaning system if it's in your budget. In season, once the water chemistry is right I spend less than 15 minutes a week taking care of my pool as long as the weather cooperates. Good luck, & love your pool as I love ours. On a side note, if you find a contractor as we did, make sure you look at several of his jobs & check him out before you build & be patient. We dug the hole in April & got our CO in October. The quality & savings were well worth the wait.