close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Swedish Mauser... In .308 Win?!?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BurkGlocker, Mar 3, 2010.

1. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Texas Redneck

My dad has a Swedish Mauser, but it seems that it is chambered in .308 Win instead of the usual Mauser calibers. Anyone ever hear of this?

BG :patriot:

2. gnepig

gnepig Remember

I have a Spanish Mauser with the numbers saying it was built some time in the mid 30's and it's also chambered in .308. I can't remember right now, but I think the .308 round wasn't invented until the 50's. It has the name Samco stamped on the front end of the barrel, they are a small arms importer= I think they did it to make it more buyer friendly here.

3. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Texas Redneck

I will have to give it a more thourough looking over and see what markings I can find on it. But I think that youre probably right though, it may have the same stamp on it. Thanks gnepig..

Edit: I found out that Husqvarna manufactured some in .308 Win. This may be what I was looking for...
    BG

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  4. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Huskys and Swedes are not the same.

5. HotGuns

HotGuns

Lots of Mauser rifles have been converted to .308 as the ammo supply for the 7mms and 8mms either dried up are got just as expensive as everything else.

A few weeks ago I converted a 7mm Mauser to a .308. We put a heavy barrel on it and a synthetic stock. It shot like a dream.

6. bigj480

bigj480 CLM

You sure it's not 6.5x55? To the best of my knowledge some where converted to 7.62x51 NATO.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  7. cz85cmbt

cz85cmbt

I'm gonna say that it is not likely an m38 swede, pics would really. The swede is not a 98 action and is cock on close, is that the case with yours and what are the receiver markings? The 96 doesn't get quite the respect the 98 does, it does lack a safety lug and reloaders are limited to 51,000 cup in these mausers while the .308 is a 52,000 cup cartridge. A smith would do a rebarrel with the pressures being so close but I doubt a company would.

8. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

I have heard of that. A lot of Mausers were sportorized and converted to .243 or .308.

9. 45caldan

45caldan

SPANISH Mausers were converted to 7.62 NATO for their military in the 50s.

10. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

It has been done by some reputable firms.
    I once had a Carl Gustav .308 target rifle built in Sweden on a 1912 dated '96 action that shot well. It had surely passed proof test but I don't know whether they treated it as .308 Win or 7.62 NATO. There is not as much difference between the two as is commonly thought.
    Kimber sporterized a bunch of Swedes in various calibers commonly thought too hot for the pre-98 action. I know of .243 and .22-250, doubt they missed the chance to sell some .308s.

Of course Bubba's Bumper Shop might not have done as neat a job.

11. noway

noway

I'm assuming it a husky and yes you can find them in 308winny the pooh. I have a 30-06 model with peep sights. Pretty accurate if I had to say so.

Love them damm swedes , I have 2 swedes LR98, plus 2 german K98s and a 96. all shoots to a dime if I do my part and all are over 40years old.

The K98s where rebarrell by myself and either duracoated or cermakot.

Husky stamp

[​IMG]

peep sight ( great to maybe 200yards zero over 300yards you have to use kentucky windage/elevation and pray ) I shot cans at 250yrds with a custom 180gr load out of this. Huge rubberrize stock that's semi-bedded and a timney trigger group

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my pride, 30-06 K98 Walther bbl and custom trigger with nikon BDC scope,butterknife handle, winchester style safety.

[​IMG]

I'm also working on the same thing but in a 280remington, please don't aks me how much I spent on the latter :crying:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  12. noway

noway

and

[​IMG]

I had a chance to buy a 308win husky but when I went back it was already sold. If the metal is great, action solid, buy it.