SW MP Sport II Tweeks, Uppers, Etc

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by PattonWasRight, Nov 17, 2019.

1. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Want to consider a mid length or rifle length upper for this, and wanted to see what people have tried & their experience. All the holiday sales are coming up and that combined with a beer or two leads to "buy clicks" LoL!

Also, I read somewhere about an easy barnyard way to add aluminum to the inside of the handguard but haven't been able locate ... any details on that are appreciated

Never owned an AR til Hillary was going to be president, have only 1k rounds through mine but I like the platform and simplicity even if it does require a lot of parts

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  2. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

Not a mid-length (which means nothing anyway) but here is a legacy upper:

https://geissele.com/urg-i-complete-clone-pinned-welded.html

Put that on a Colt or LMT complete lower and you'd have a really nice Sport II.

3. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Sorry, not following you on mid length means nothing and that upper is the price of 3 MP Sports.

Joshhtn likes this.
  4. garya1961

garya1961

I would forget about the mid length upper for the Sport II. Just order a set of cheap Colt handguards with the heat shield.
    If you are stuck on a mid length get another complete rifle. Not that it's any better than the carbine length but it is a reason to buy another rifle.

PattonWasRight and George Kaplan like this.
  5. Z71bill

Z71bill

I ran a rifle length upper from PSA on my S&W Sport II lower for a while before I bought a second lower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    PSA 18" RIFLE-LENGTH .223 WYLDE 1/7 STAINLESS STEEL 15" LIGHTWEIGHT M-LOK UPPER WITH MBUS SIGHT SET, BCG, & CH - 5165448415

Works just fine.

GlockFan7 and PattonWasRight like this.
  6. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Thanks, did you try using the MP's bcg? Just curious. Wylde ... good choice.

7. garya1961

garya1961

No one said it wouldn't work but you might as well go ahead and buy another lower so you have two complete rifles.
    I bought a set of Colt handguards for my Sport II for like $15 from Sportsman Guide but don't see any on their website now. They do have the MOE handguards for like 20 something. They are a good upgrade for the money in my opinion.

PattonWasRight likes this.
  8. Flikster

Flikster

A vice, receiver block and a torque wrench is all you need to build your own upper.

9. BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

The Sport II is a great rifle, but if you're planning on any truly major changes, just leave it alone and build a second rifle to your liking. It's a budget rifle built to a price point, you can quickly have a whole second rifle minus the stripped lower if you get to upgrading.

My first AR was an "optics ready" flat top/railed gas block carbine gas system M&P15 with MOE furniture. I learned quickly that I hate railed gas blocks, heats up a flip up sight to the point of burning yourself if you need to deploy it after a few shots.

I ended up swapping the gas block for a low profile and a free float full length hand guard. Lots of sight radius for irons (although it wears a red dot), hand is now comfortable anywhere on the rifle even after extended use without gloves.

Next couple I tossed together myself using complete lowers, just ordering the upper I wanted online. I've yet to build one up totally, but I do have some stripped lowers and parts kits. I always went with free float tubes or a fixed front post after the first purchase, have yet to be truly unhappy with how it turned out.

Speaking of, I guess it's time to buy some more uppers.

10. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Thanks for the advice

Will keep my eye on sales and lego one together

11. Z71bill

Z71bill

No the PSA lower came with a BCG and charging handle -

I did - just for the heck of it switch the BCG between guns - they fit fine but I never shot it that way.

It seems like when you buy an upper from PSA you can get the BCG & charging handle for next to nothing - VS buying an upper without -

12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Everyone should build an AR upper and a lower at least once. Your knowledge of how the thing works will be so much greater, and it's actually fun.

If I can do it pretty much anyone can.

Taterhead and PattonWasRight like this.
  13. Z71bill

Z71bill

I have been thinking about buying a cheap PSA upper just to use to blast cheap steel case -

I had one in my cart and discovered they now charge me sales tax and their shipping seems higher than before -

I may wait for a free shipping deal on Black Friday - or hell buy another M&P Sport and just keep it totally stock.

I agree with BlueTrane the Sport is a hell of a deal - and best to just enjoy it without a bunch of mods -

I did add a MOE handguard, grip and ventricle grip - low cost stuff that can always be swapped back out -

If the M&P Sport goes on sale for $479 like it did last year I may just buy 2 -

14. Flikster

Flikster

I guess I don't understand the discouragement towards building an upper vs a whole rifle.

Build a new upper with a mid or rifle length gas system. Have fun with it on your current lower. When the time/money/inclination presents itself build a new lower.

My only suggestion would be to build the upper with an adjustable gas block so you can tune it to your current carbine buffer and then re-tune it to whatever setup your next lower involves. Even that might be splitting hairs but adjustable lo pro blocks can be found for cheap so why not. Radicals are $25, Seekins $50, JP $65

15. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019