Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
127,519 Posts
The two 35 caliber balls behind the slug, like a hat trick in one shot, seems like an insane amount of damage that thing would cause.
I think it would need a little more power behind it.

It sure wouldn’t cause the damage of an expanding 44mag or hot 45 Colt load. The 357 Mag has some nasty loads for it too.

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,828 Posts
357 magnum is the golden standard LE guns still try to meet. That would be my choice hands down versus a gimmicky thing anytime.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts

·
20,730 Posts
Agreed, I haven't gotten into the .410 revolver. I think the performance is a bit exaggerated.
The 45 colt has better performance than the 410 out of a short pistol barrel. the only effective 410 load is the 3 inch magnum with 4 000 buck balls. The dinky little 87 grain slug traveling at 900 fps out of a short pistol barrel is a joke. Out of a shotgun length barrel it can do much better. Most people think that there's no difference but the difference is YUGE between 1200 fps and 900 fps.

And according to Federal, even the 3 inch load with the 4 000 buck pellets only does 850 fps out of the pistol barrel. The weight of 4 000 shot pellets is only 210 grains so a 45 Colt firing a 240 grain bullet at 850 fps has more power than the best .410 load out of a pistol.

A 45 Auto also has more power than a 410 shotgun fired out of a pistol barrel. A Glock 21 can hold 14 rounds of Federal HST Plus +P 230 grain ammo which develops 950 fps and is more effective than a 410 pistol, has a better trigger than a DA revolver, and has less muzzle blast than an 8 shot 357 magnum unless you load it with 38 specials.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
There's some tests of the pentrating power of 410 defense rounds out of Govenors/Judges and they don't perform too well. Not terrible, but not great.

Can check out some of the more reputable testers on YouTube and go from there

That said, firing 357s indoors will disorient you in the manner not unlike a stun grenade. I'd load it with +p's

·
NRA Benefactor
5,788 Posts
To put it in perspective, a lot of people deer hunt with a 357magnum revolver. You don't see too many people deer hunt with a 410, even with a 18 inch barrel.

Here are some results for the Hornady Critical Defense 410 ammo for pistols.

For what it is worth, I have a 627 in the Pro Series and find it to be an excellent revolver in terms of handling and accuracy. While the Governor is also made by S&W, it's the ballistics that I question.

Reactions: Farm Truck
1 - 20 of 69 Posts