Glock Talk banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

· RIP Stan Lee.. . .
19,758 Posts
Yeah, they are beautiful. The scope sort of ruins the look though.
Agreed.

My eyes can't deal with buckhorn sights anymore so
I have been switching my lever guns to Skinner Peeps for the 22 magnum rimfires (Winchester & Henry) and XS ghost for the .444 and the 357 Marlins.

All my lever guns are short range guns (200m at most for the 444) so optics don't add much value.

· Registered
7,131 Posts
I think the claim of being powerful as a rifle is a little misleading. 500 grains, WOW!
Anybody shot one? How was it....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/smith-wesson-500-gun-much-145000567.html

I own the same model in your picture. Incredible recoil, incredible muzzle blast, incredible sound....also the only firearm I have ever shot where I could feel the shockwave hit my face. It doesn’t really have any use for me outside of range fun, but I will never part with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
14,627 Posts
Actually you can cast your own bullets for MUCH less than 50 cents a bullet and lead is not that expensive and you don't even need super hardcast lead for the kinds of velocities the 500 S&W produces with heavy bullets.

Lyman cast bullet handbook 4th Ed. (Most recent edition) lists data for the 500 S&W using the Lyman 501680 (375gr) plain base bullet with a Max Load of 17.5gr Unique, produces 1361fps @ 37.800psi

I used to buy scrap lead from my local recyvling yard and while wheelweights are getting harder and harder to find that aren't made out of zinc or pure lead, most times you can find harder alloys and all you need is some tin or mix in a little linotype to make pure lead harder.

Scrap lead sells for about 80 cents a pound. Even if the bullets you used weighted 500 grains you would get 16 bullets for 80 cents rather than pay 50 cents a bullet or $8.00 for 16 bullets.

Additionally there are 7000 grains in a pound of powder with one pound of unique you could load 583 rounds of 500 S&W.
In theory, you've made some points but....I said "high quality, high power loads and to avoid leading you need to shoot gas checked slugs. Removing leading is a PITA.

I view scrap lead like used cars of unknown origin, not good. How many impurities, junk etc is in it? I have no desire to scrounge through a scrap yard and you forget to add into the equation the cost of equipment to melt, cast, size and lube slugs. Lots of time and $ and being around lead fumes is NOT good for the health.

A brief perusal of internet prices for bullet casting lead shows prices of $2-3/#. At $2/# plus shipping probably means $14 or so. At 400gr ea, that's a price of 40 cents per slug. I can buy excellent hard cast, gas checked slugs for about 31 cents plus shipping. Yes, like most everything, you can cut the cost by buying in bulk.

You speak of using light loads too, like Unique. I do also shoot Trail Boss but I was referring to much hotter stuff like 40gr of 4227 so the way I and I'd say the majority of reloaders (I'd say those that cast are a small minority) operate, I think my comment about 50 cents per round is quite valid. Don

· Registered
471 Posts
People who scoff at the 500 Mag simply don't have a clue. I've been shooting them regularly since S&W started selling them in 2003.

If you seat slugs out to full cylinder length as John Ross does, energy figures can go into the 3200ft lb range out of the 8 3/8th" barrel.

With hard cast slugs they will equal or highly likely exceed a .375 H&H Mag in penetration.

While it is not a scientific test by any means, I've shot a .308 Win and the 500 side by side on water filled gallon milk jugs. The .308 with JSPs sort of bounces them around. The 500 simply DETONATES them into a huge ball of spray, makes the .308 look puny and on large game is far superior. Don
People don't give momentum or power factor enough credit with regard to striking power and penetration.

Too much emphasis is placed on kinetic energy alone. I've shot a .500 S&W mag. with 500 grainers and the effect on steel is simply amazing.

· Registered
998 Posts
Yes, factory ammo is very expensive. If you want to shoot more than once in a blue moon, you must reload, not care about $ or be very wealthy.

You can reload quality high power rounds using commercial hard cast slugs for about 50 cents ea and no, I really don't want to hear from someone who says some friend gives him free wheelweights, that's not what most of us face.

Reloading the beast allows you to tailor the power level from bottom end which dwarfs a .45ACP +P round to beastly 3000ft lbs loads. Don
Midway has .500 bullets for $.26/.

Attachments

· Registered
356 Posts
I think that buying a SW 500 and immediately blasting away with the heaviest loads you can get your hands on is a great way to end what might be solid appreciation for the gun and the caliber. 900 fps with a 350 gr JHP is a load that is manageable to fire all day long. It turns the 500 into light recoiling self defense revolver that won't go on to hit someone in the next state. I also have wildlife stopping loads Kelly Schlepp 420 gr "punch" bullets and 400 gr Woodleigh weldcore both at about 1450 fps, that do have the necessary oomph, on both ends, but are necessary for the particular job. The 500 is not some right of passage to prove my manhood. It is just a heavy, 5 shot revolver that has a good range of advantages and limitations, like most guns do.

· Registered
3,357 Posts
I think that buying a SW 500 and immediately blasting away with the heaviest loads you can get your hands on is a great way to end what might be solid appreciation for the gun and the caliber. 900 fps with a 350 gr JHP is a load that is manageable to fire all day long. It turns the 500 into light recoiling self defense revolver that won't go on to hit someone in the next state. I also have wildlife stopping loads Kelly Schlepp 420 gr "punch" bullets and 400 gr Woodleigh weldcore both at about 1450 fps, that do have the necessary oomph, on both ends, but are necessary for the particular job. The 500 is not some right of passage to prove my manhood. It is just a heavy, 5 shot revolver that has a good range of advantages and limitations, like most guns do.
Precisely.

I work on many different loads for my 500. In fact I have two sets of dies depending upon what I’m doing.

Max power is not the answer. Plus, if one is not adept at handling it, it may lead to injury or damage to the user’s joints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
258 Posts
Incidentally, we watched a movie tonight called "Vengeance". Nicolas Cage played a cop who carried a 500. He shot a guy and the bad guy went flying backward when he was hit. It wasn't realistic, but that scene was funny!

81 - 93 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.