Glock Talk banner

SW 500, powerful as a rifle.....

5266 Views 92 Replies 47 Participants Last post by  LASTRESORT20
I think the claim of being powerful as a rifle is a little misleading. 500 grains, WOW!
Anybody shot one? How was it....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/smith-wesson-500-gun-much-145000567.html

See less
Reactions: LASTRESORT20
I think the claim of being powerful as a rifle is a little misleading. 500 grains, WOW!
Anybody shot one? How was it....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/smith-wesson-500-gun-much-145000567.html
See more
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

· Registered
14,627 Posts
The 500 with 3" brl is a great carry pistol.I whip it out and people just look at me like I have three heads.You need to purchase a pair of suspenders.Would you believe Uncle Mikes makes a OWB nylon holster.Hit of the party!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not be critical but smiling. I don't think it's the best CCW gun but ENJOY!

I imagine if you ever had to show the gun, the size of the bore and the chambers would make any even remotely normal thief think twice. Don

· 1911 lover
8,373 Posts
The 500 with 3" brl is a great carry pistol.I whip it out and people just look at me like I have three heads.You need to purchase a pair of suspenders!
my 10 mm 1911’s is as much as i ever care to carry. for human beings . every round that you fire you are completely responsible for...

· Registered
1,758 Posts
i have no need for that much power. it might be fun , but it’s really expensive fun. 41 magnum is my biggest handgun, and most of my favorites are 45 acp or 10 mm.
You know I hear how expensive to shoot these big bore guns. It's like anything else. I have some friends that fly R C planes. They think nothing of $1000 and up for what they want. It's all in what your into. You cant race a Maserati on a Ford budget.

Reactions: CDR_Glock

· Banned
45,550 Posts
I love my Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull!

I’ve shot a box of Buffalo Bore in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Very nice collection!

Reactions: CDR_Glock

· 1911 lover
8,373 Posts
You know I hear how expensive to shoot these big bore guns. It's like anything else. I have some friends that fly R C planes. They think nothing of $1000 and up for what they want. .

many of my friends fly actual planes that they own. i love flying cessna 310’s myself.

you can’t have all the toys. that is my resolve.

· Registered
14,627 Posts
You know I hear how expensive to shoot these big bore guns.
Yes, factory ammo is very expensive. If you want to shoot more than once in a blue moon, you must reload, not care about $ or be very wealthy.

You can reload quality high power rounds using commercial hard cast slugs for about 50 cents ea and no, I really don't want to hear from someone who says some friend gives him free wheelweights, that's not what most of us face.

Reloading the beast allows you to tailor the power level from bottom end which dwarfs a .45ACP +P round to beastly 3000ft lbs loads. Don

· Registered
131,451 Posts
Yes, have a 6.5” as well as a DE in .50AE. The S&W has far more recoil running full power loads, but much more versatile.

Had to shoot 50 rounds to qualify it on my CCW. Was kind of rough, and gave me a blister in the middle of my palm.

It is fun, in a strange way.

View attachment 375609
Wow

I never heard of anyone qualifing with one before.

· Registered
363 Posts
A friend of mine (who is 81 yrs. old) let me shoot his 500. He cast his own 440 gr. bullets and loaded it pretty stout. After shooting his, I started looking for one. About a year later, I found one that looked like it had never been fired for well under a grand. I bought it and shoot it a lot. I've been reloading since I was 12, and found the 500 to be very versatile and relatively cheap to shoot. I saw a box of 20 rounds of factory ammo for $49.95, so I wouldn't consider a 500 unless you reload. If you use Trail Boss powder with a 330 gr. plated bullet, even a kid can shoot it. If you use a 500 gr. bullet with a stout charge of H110, you can get out all your aggressions out with a few shots. My 500 is one of the guns I will never sell. And yes, it may take a while to master the recoil, but once you do it is a very accurate work of art, just not for everyone.
I'm 65, and have taken 4 deer with mine--all one shot stops. Love it!

· Registered
1,758 Posts
many of my friends fly actual planes that they own. i love flying cessna 310’s myself.

you can’t have all the toys. that is my resolve.
Are you saying it's cheaper to fly a plane then to buy 500 mag ammo? I am going to buy a plane because I have no problem affording ammo for my weekly outing. I don't reload an still keep a few boxes of 500's around.

· Registered
998 Posts
Yes, factory ammo is very expensive. If you want to shoot more than once in a blue moon, you must reload, not care about $ or be very wealthy.

You can reload quality high power rounds using commercial hard cast slugs for about 50 cents ea and no, I really don't want to hear from someone who says some friend gives him free wheelweights, that's not what most of us face.

Reloading the beast allows you to tailor the power level from bottom end which dwarfs a .45ACP +P round to beastly 3000ft lbs loads. Don
Yup, getting into reloading mainly for this.

Did find some on a black Friday sale for $1.01/round. That was worth it just to shoot once and get the brass.

24,357 Posts

"You can reload quality high power rounds using commercial hard cast slugs for about 50 cents ea and no, I really don't want to hear from someone who says some friend gives him free wheelweights, that's not what most of us face."

Actually you can cast your own bullets for MUCH less than 50 cents a bullet and lead is not that expensive and you don't even need super hardcast lead for the kinds of velocities the 500 S&W produces with heavy bullets.

Lyman cast bullet handbook 4th Ed. (Most recent edition) lists data for the 500 S&W using the Lyman 501680 (375gr) plain base bullet with a Max Load of 17.5gr Unique, produces 1361fps @ 37.800psi

I used to buy scrap lead from my local recyvling yard and while wheelweights are getting harder and harder to find that aren't made out of zinc or pure lead, most times you can find harder alloys and all you need is some tin or mix in a little linotype to make pure lead harder.

Scrap lead sells for about 80 cents a pound. Even if the bullets you used weighted 500 grains you would get 16 bullets for 80 cents rather than pay 50 cents a bullet or $8.00 for 16 bullets.

As long as you keep velocities under 1400 fps, an alloy equivalent to wheelweights will work fine as long as you use a good lube like Lyman's Orange Magic.

Let's say you use a starting load with only 12 grains of unique and velocities were as low as 1200 fps. Lead hardness would be even less critical at those velocities but a 50 caliber 375 grain bullet at 1200 fps is still producing 1,199 foot pounds of Whompability.

Additionally there are 7000 grains in a pound of powder with one pound of unique you could load 583 rounds of 500 S&W.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.