Glock Talk banner

SW 500, powerful as a rifle.....

5270 Views 92 Replies 47 Participants Last post by  LASTRESORT20
I think the claim of being powerful as a rifle is a little misleading. 500 grains, WOW!
Anybody shot one? How was it....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/smith-wesson-500-gun-much-145000567.html

Reactions: LASTRESORT20
21 - 40 of 93 Posts

· Registered
162 Posts
I went with the .460 XVR with the 8 3/8" barrel.
As mentioned, the .45 Colt is like shooting a cap gun, a BIG cap gun.
.460 is quite, very ?, brutal and the .454 Casull is only slightly less so.

.500 I thought was much less versatile unless you really want to play with reloads.

I think I am probably the third ? owner of the XVR.
The dealer had a box of .460 with about 8 rounds fired that went with it.

· Registered
856 Posts
Bighorn Armory out of WY makes them. Absolutely gorgeous rifles. It'll cost you a bit more than a new Marlin, though.
Well, I was almost close, but yeah, that's the rifle. I looked at one in a gun shop, and the rifle is beautiful, but that rear sight looks like an ill-advised add-on. Otherwise, it's a really neat rifle that is expensive enough that I can buy several good quality firearms for the price of one of those.

· Registered
15,309 Posts
More powerful maybe, but it means nothing if you can't hit your target with it.
500 S&W is impressive but a bear to shoot!

Reactions: Caver 60

· Registered
15,309 Posts
Reactions: Chordeiles

· Registered
14,627 Posts
More powerful maybe, but it means nothing if you can't hit your target with it.
500 S&W is impressive but a bear to shoot!
While I would be suspicious of someone who shoots a significant number of medium heavy to heavy loads and says that they've never pulled a shot, I'm not the world's gift to handgun accuracy but I think I usually do well with it. Muzzle heavyness on the long barrel and an excellent trigger certainly helps.

You have to concentrate so that you can enjoy what happens after a good sight picture and trigger pull. Don

· Registered
131,451 Posts
Well, I was almost close, but yeah, that's the rifle. I looked at one in a gun shop, and the rifle is beautiful, but that rear sight looks like an ill-advised add-on. Otherwise, it's a really neat rifle that is expensive enough that I can buy several good quality firearms for the price of one of those.
True, but you can say that about any high end firearm. I always choose quality over quantity.

· AAAMAD
37,092 Posts
Yes, as stated above it’s expensive. Out of a long barrel and with the right charge, you’re talking ballistics approaching a 458 Winchester Magnum rifle, but with a larger bullet.

It’s a nasty round.

I think that's kind of stretching it a bit. The 89 I've seen was running about 350-400 fps faster than the 8 inch barrel.

Its a hell of a thumper, but it was closer to 1/2 of the 458's energy.

· Registered
131,451 Posts
I think that's kind of stretching it a bit. The 89 I've seen was running about 350-400 fps faster than the 8 inch barrel.

Its a hell of a thumper, but it was closer to 1/2 of the 458's energy.
No way

400 fps gain is huge. You’re talking over 4000 ft/lbs of energy.

The 458 isn’t doing much more than that and that’s out of an even longer barrel of 24-26”.

· Banned
45,550 Posts
May be quite effective, but I'm not sold on the Scout gimmick. Were I to own this, it screams Express sights or maybe a simple, fast, and robust optic mounted at the rear. Again, this **** is out of my league....

Reactions: orangejeep06

· AAAMAD
37,092 Posts
No way

400 fps gain is huge. You’re talking over 4000 ft/lbs of energy.

The 458 isn’t doing much more than that and that’s out of an even longer barrel of 24-26”.

I think its more like high 3's and 458 win mag loads are easy to find in the 5's.

· Banned
45,550 Posts
Yeah it’s not bad, just a lot more than say a Marlin in 45/70.
Funny that I spent as much on a .458 SOCOM. Since its just an AR, it needs a blue pill. It's nice, but way underclassed. 500gr. Hornady DGX is as far as I went. It hardly opened. A little light in the ass.

· AAAMAD
37,092 Posts
Maybe. Those are some hot 458 loads out of 26” barrels though.

You can handload the 500 pretty stout too.
Not overly, factory 450's like the Barnes hit 5K in the winmag.

If we're handloading, the 500, that may narrow the field considerably, as the 500 has a marked advantage in the pressure field.

At the end of the day, its probably all academic though. I doubt there's anything on this earth that could tell a lick of difference in terminal performance between the 458 and the 500

· Registered
131,451 Posts
Not overly, factory 450's like the Barnes hit 5K in the winmag.

If we're handloading, the 500, that may narrow the field considerably, as the 500 has a marked advantage in the pressure field.

At the end of the day, its probably all academic though. I doubt there's anything on this earth that could tell a lick of difference in terminal performance between the 458 and the 500
Very true

I agree :)

· Registered
3,357 Posts
I have a 6.5” Barrel 500. It’s a great revolver with a lot of power in rounds 440 grains and up. I have powered up to 500 grains so far. It’s very potent.

Like someone else mentioned, the 460 has great velocity, especially in a longer barrel. Mine is 8 3/8”.

The 454 Casull is also a high velocity handgun. I have 3 of them. Great round.

The main revolver that approaches the rifle velocity is the 460. Particularly with lighter grain 200 gr bullets. It is a lot more controllable and has a much longer reach.

The problem with the question is that there are so many factors such as target distance, muzzle velocity, bullet weight and bullet design it’s hard to make a general statement. However, the 500 Magnum can kill any land animal on the planet. I will assume it’s coming from a 8.5 or 10” barrel, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

21 - 40 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.