Glock Talk banner

SW 500, powerful as a rifle.....

5261 Views 92 Replies 47 Participants Last post by  LASTRESORT20
I think the claim of being powerful as a rifle is a little misleading. 500 grains, WOW!
Anybody shot one? How was it....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/smith-wesson-500-gun-much-145000567.html

Reactions: LASTRESORT20
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
131,440 Posts
Well, I was almost close, but yeah, that's the rifle. I looked at one in a gun shop, and the rifle is beautiful, but that rear sight looks like an ill-advised add-on. Otherwise, it's a really neat rifle that is expensive enough that I can buy several good quality firearms for the price of one of those.
True, but you can say that about any high end firearm. I always choose quality over quantity.

· Registered
131,440 Posts
I think that's kind of stretching it a bit. The 89 I've seen was running about 350-400 fps faster than the 8 inch barrel.

Its a hell of a thumper, but it was closer to 1/2 of the 458's energy.
No way

400 fps gain is huge. You’re talking over 4000 ft/lbs of energy.

The 458 isn’t doing much more than that and that’s out of an even longer barrel of 24-26”.

· Registered
131,440 Posts
Not overly, factory 450's like the Barnes hit 5K in the winmag.

If we're handloading, the 500, that may narrow the field considerably, as the 500 has a marked advantage in the pressure field.

At the end of the day, its probably all academic though. I doubt there's anything on this earth that could tell a lick of difference in terminal performance between the 458 and the 500
Very true

I agree :)

· Registered
131,440 Posts
Yes, have a 6.5” as well as a DE in .50AE. The S&W has far more recoil running full power loads, but much more versatile.

Had to shoot 50 rounds to qualify it on my CCW. Was kind of rough, and gave me a blister in the middle of my palm.

It is fun, in a strange way.

View attachment 375609
Wow

I never heard of anyone qualifing with one before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.