close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

svchost.exe WFT?!! The New HDD Saga Continues

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wulfenite, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I was actually using my machine last night and it seemed really slow, this morning it seemed even slower, so I rebooted. Slower still. I pulled up task mamager and found that svchost.exe is taking every bit of processor time it can get. I shut it down, booted into safe mode and it was behaving... Now I'm runing AVG's spyware tool.

Any other ideas.

2. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

3. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Wow, that's amazing. You pull up task manager and the Automatic Updates page from the control pannel. Click off AU cpu usage falls to back ground...click it on....cpu usage goes to 100, click it off...background. All this without the computer connected to the net. Its not like AU could actually be doing anything.

4. Darkmage

Darkmage

That actually sounds about right. If you don't have an always-on internet connection, AutoUpdate is going to use up 100% of the processing time while it searches for the Microsoft update servers. What the hell it is doing while it is essentially listening for a response from the server, I don't know. It sure seems like badly written code... but whatever. I've had similar experience with a number of programs (some Microsoft, some 3rd party) where a connection to a server was not possible and the CPU usage pegged until the connection timeout was reached.

My suggestion is to connect to the net and manually get all of your updates for Windows.

5. malkore

malkore

there's a way you can tell Windows not to reserve 20% of your bandwidth for Microsoft's use as well.

Click Start>Run
    Type "gpedit.msc" (no quotes)
    Click Local Computer Policy>Computer Configuration>Administrative
    Templates>Network>QoS Packet Scheduler>Limit Reservable Bandwidth

It will say that it is not configured, this however is a lie! The truth you seek is under the 'Explain' tab:
    "If you disable this setting or do not configure it, the system uses the default value of 20 percent of the connection."
    Now click back over to the 'Setting' tab and enable it, then set the value to 0.

I do this on all my machines, no negative effects.

6. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

My computer doest have a gpedit.msc I think that might be part of the connection sharing utility that I disabled under one of the tweeks I already did.

7. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

svchost.exe!!!!

I looked at Task Manager and it shows SIX (6) !!! of these stupid things running!!

What gives?

RC

8. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

From my reading I'm given to understand that svchost is not a bad thing just because. Its basically some sort of utility that a program you're running interacts with th OS under. What was the problem was was the svchost that was there because of Microsofts Automatic Updates thought it needed 100% of the processor power. Killing AU fixed the problem.

9. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

Not available in XP Home. Only Pro.

10. glennb

glennb

I like it. I go looking for gun info and get some sage advice on making Windows run a bit smoother. I had a broken Windows Update in the recent past. It had been broken for 5 months and never knew it. When I got it fixed (with more good info on another forum) I had 35 updates that I was in arrears. After D/L'ing those and installing, I now have a intermittent problem where my desktop wont load till I log off and log back on. Thank you Windows Update. I just turned mine off as well; I might be better off without them.

11. Darkmage

Darkmage

svhost.exe is short for "services host executable". My understanding is that svhost.exe is the interface between the kernel and the various windows services that run in the background on windows. Each service that is doing something relatively important does so by instantiating a copy of svhost.exe.

My recommendation to limit these to a manageable minimum is to go to www.theeldergeek.com and look on the left sidebar for his Windows Services List. He will walk you through each of your services and tell you what they do and if you need them.

You can configure the services by going to the Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.