Sv650

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Berto, May 22, 2007.

1. Berto

Berto woo woo

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a bike.
    I have some experience with motorcycles,mostly dirts bikes from years of poker runs and day long excursions with the family when younger.
    In have done some riding with street bikes,but simple short rides with little traffic involved..I would be taking a course should I pull the trigger.;)

I'm looking at a new or like new SV650 (no more than a couple yrs. old,fuel injected);
    I like the idea of a good tractable V twin
    It gets good MPG
    Has good performance..enough for me.
    Sounds to be a relatively reliable,low maintainence machine.

My question concerns mileage and fit.

What is considered 'high mileage' for a bike of this type...what should one expect before overhauling or major parts replacement?

I'm 6'2, 225lbs and long legged, will this bike suck for tallish leggy people like me in terms of fit? (I plan on it being a short range commuter)

Any advice would be great,Thanks.:)

2. D25

D25 The Quick

I would own this bike if I could fit on it. I'm 6'3" and just don't fit on it at all- I'm all knees and elbows coming down the road on it. It may be managable for a short range commuter, but I'd definately give it a whirl before buying one.

3. Berto

Berto woo woo

I've sat on one,but haven't been out on a ride yet. Since it's without a fairing,I just don't forsee extended trips beyond typical back and forth to work.
    Is it possible to make minor changes in fit like adjusting pegs or handlebars?

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Berto,

If you're much over 5'10, you're going to be cramped on most small, sporty bikes.

As far as high mileage goes, I've seen these bikes with excess of 40,000-miles and still going strong. Like everything else mechanical, you take care of it and it will take care of you.

You should check out the Suzuki V-strom DL650 instead. Same engine, different bike that has a much higher seat to accomodate taller people.

5. xring04

xring04 On the Right.

I am 6'1 and fluffy, and I am comforatable on my little sv. I added some buell pegs to give my legs a little more room. I love my sv!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Berto

Berto woo woo

..And it's yellow.
    Damn,that's cool.:)

I am hearing different opinions on the SV as far as fit goes for us taller folks,but FN's mention of the V strom has been duly noted and might be the runner-up.:thumbsup:

7. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

I am 6'3" and "fluffy" as xring04 puts it. The SV is kinda cramped for me. I did see a DL 650 at the bike shop when I was hoping to try out an FZ6 (they were sold out). I did not hop on it, but it looked like it would fit me great. I would have considered it, but I am looking for an I-4 this time. I had my V-twin kicks with my old TLS. There was a cherry '06 FZ1 that I was very close to telling them to start the paperwork on.

8. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

I'm 6'2" tall and 190, FWIW I like a bit bigger bike. The small ones seem squirrely to me.

9. jrp

jrp NRA Life Member

Check out member RandyO on svrider.com.
    His 99 naked went 135,000 miles before the motor wore out.
    I just sold my 02 SVS with 25,600 miles - zero problems.
    Loved it, but the riding position was a bit too agressive.
    Shoulda got a naked and may eventually do just that.

10. Berto

Berto woo woo

:shocked:

Damn.

Just gotta figger out what to get rid of now.

Either V strom 650 or the SV,whichever fits me the best.

11. buddylee28

buddylee28

I suspect the V-Strom will fit you a little better. Engine is the same, so you should get many miles/years of service. I loved my SV650S but the riding position eventually got to my back and I switched to a FZ1.

12. Super Trucker

Super Trucker NRA Endowment Life Member

My wife loves her SV650S. Take a peek Here, at this SV specfic forum. Just like any other forum you will run into a few children, but there is some good info to be had on that site.

13. ddc

ddc

I hope we're not comparing apples to oranges: i.e. SV650 and SV650S are two different bikes as far as seating position with respect to the handlebar is concerned although at heart they are the same basic bike.

The SV650S has clip-ons while the SV650 has a "conventional" bar.

Now my experience with these is limited to sitting on them at a CycleWorld show about two or three years ago for all of 30 seconds but my impression was that there was a marked difference between the two as far as upper body position was concerned. It may also be that the footpeg position was different but I can't recall for sure.

Can anybody else comment on the difference in seating position between the SV650 and the SV650S?

14. buddylee28

buddylee28

The seating position is quite different. The SV650S is leaned forward more, like the typical sport bike. The "naked" (SV650) version is more of a standard seating position. If you have any neck/back issues at all, I would strongly recommend the non-S version. These are great bikes - good luck with your choice!

15. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

:thumbsup: I'm 46 years young, 6'5" and 240 pounds currently.

Just picked up a minty '05 SV650S yesterday, as a stablemate/playbike to go along with my '05 VStrom DL1K. I LOVE this little bike!

Did a good ride yesterday and today, and although this bike certainly won't be my long distance tourer, it's more than comfy enough for hundred mile days. I'm having too much fun with it!

The bigStrom is relegated to touring duty now.

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

My big bone brothers, please do yourselves and the SV the favor of respringing the rear shock. The handling dynamics will greatly increase. Hell, contact Race Tech for fork emulators up front and a valve&spring kit for the rear. You deserve it and so does the bike.

17. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

This little SV has a better spring rate out back than my previous ZX12R and ZX6R...and much better than the '05 DL1K. I'm liking it just the way it is!

I hear you though. Suspension is just SO personal, isn't it?

18. taters

taters

if you get it let me know how u like it as i am thimking of gtting one.i am 6'2' 230/ thanks