Glock Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· StraightShooter
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...are a major facet of preparedness to me.

Just made another major sustainability upgrade in one of the homes..

..lighting this time...

..141 LED bulbs & lighting fixtures purchased recently..

..over 100 LED bulbs installed in the last few days.

Even upgraded the refrigerator/freezer bulbs to LED.... 5 just in the kitchen unit.

Bought my 1st 120 vac LED bulb in 2005...and more since...

..but this is the 1st home in which all were replaced.

Upgraded almost every incandescent in one house to CFL in 1992.....back then the lamps were separate from the ballasts.

Anyone else here doing the same?

· Registered
1,834 Posts
...are a major facet of preparedness to me.

Just made another major sustainability upgrade in one of the homes..

..lighting this time...

..141 LED bulbs & lighting fixtures purchased recently..

..over 100 LED bulbs installed in the last few days.

Even upgraded the refrigerator/freezer bulbs to LED.... 5 just in the kitchen unit.

Bought my 1st 120 vac LED bulb in 2005...and more since...

..but this is the 1st home in which all were replaced.

Upgraded almost every incandescent in one house to CFL in 1992.....back then the lamps were separate from the ballasts.

Anyone else here doing the same?

I've replaced most of our bulbs with LED's too, but if the SHTF energy savings isn't the issue, power generation is. Until you install a solar array and mega battery pack along with a generator and a year's worth of fuel for the generator, all you are doing is saving money on your electric bill. (And that's not a bad thing.) When the power goes out, it doesn't matter what type of light bulb you have.

· StraightShooter
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've replaced most of our bulbs with LED's too, but if the SHTF energy savings isn't the issue, power generation is. Until you install a solar array and mega battery pack along with a generator and a year's worth of fuel for the generator, all you are doing is saving money on your electric bill. (And that's not a bad thing.) When the power goes out, it doesn't matter what type of light bulb you have.
Yep...& kudos on your investment!

If the grid goes down for the long count, I have years worth of stabilized diesel (1000+ gallons) & 2 each low rpm 8KW (24KW surge) diesel generators. With my primary inverters (Zantrex/Trace SW4048/D Power Panel....8KW & 20KW surge) I have about 17 KW/H of usable battery capacity....but about to switch them out & considering doubling the capacity.
Most of my backup power gear is in EMP resistant storage...including 20 KW (44KW surge) Exeltech MX Inverters, micro-wind turbines, etc

I am leary about parking 100 KW or more of PV in protected storage (No ROI on a fairly pricy investment)...

.. & if in use...concerned about the E1 & E2 in a pulse or a lighting strike.

Regardless....plan to have a decent stock of LED Lighting in storage also..

..as well as the stock of CFL & other lighting in storage.

And besides the primary electrical (& co-generated heat savings in my AOs)..

..nice to have bulbs with an expected life of decades.

· Watcher.
41,318 Posts
I'm waiting on the adoption to go thru,we light our houses with 12v leds.We can run them off the bb for a long time.'08.

· Registered
4,430 Posts
We have a fair number of them converted/swapped to LED, but not all. Main issues are oddball complications that are more pronounced when using LED (or even CFL) compared to incandescent - limited options for candelabra bases, dimmer compatibility, etc. Those are largely still incandescent in those cases.

· StraightShooter
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
We have a fair number of them converted/swapped to LED, but not all. Main issues are oddball complications that are more pronounced when using LED (or even CFL) compared to incandescent - limited options for candelabra bases, dimmer compatibility, etc. Those are largely still incandescent in those cases.
At one time the LED bulb selections were very limited......but the recent bulbs I just purchased are all dimmable. About 40 of the total are mostly "cool white" candelabra with a decent output & conversion ratio. Even found LED replacements for the Halogens in the track lighting.

So far....all installed have functioned fine with common dimming switches.

Ordered 10 more dimmable LED 10w candelabra bulbs just now...

· Registered
15,946 Posts
1. I upgraded most of the old lightbulb fixtures about 6 months ago. Because of the longevity of the led bulbs, I had to leave a couple of places using the old lightbulbs so that I can use them up.

When you don't have to stand on a ladder in the kitchen and reach over your head to get down a fixture and replace a burned out lightbulb, you have enhanced your survival chances (particularly when you haven't see age 40 for almost as many years).

With a purported lifespan of 10 or more years, I didn't buy any extras. It will still take a few years to use up the supply of old lightbulbs.

· Registered
14,684 Posts
That idiotic push for CFLs made no sense to me, LEDs were already becoming available...............though in small numbers and a bit pricey (at the time). I opted for LEDs and haven't looked back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.