Sushi

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Dawes, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Dawes

Dawes

Who's actually tried (or likes) sushi? Isn't there any concern about parasites from uncooked seafood?

2. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Common misconception that sushi is raw fish. Yes, some sushi contains raw fish, but it is not what makes sushi sushi.

We have an excellent sushi bar here, I love it. I realy love the salmon. Sushi grade raw salmon is absolutely wonderful.

3. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Tried it, like it, not worried.

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Tried it, love it, not worried. My favorite are: tuna (maguro), albacore (binnago), halibut (engawa), yellowtail (hamachi), eel (anago), salmon roe (ikura), spicy roe (mentaiko), and various seaweed combinations.

Still, I prefer sashimi.

For a good guide to sushi, try: http://www.ease.com/~randyj/rjsushi.htm

5. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

I do like sushi, and I'll have it from time to time when I go out to eat. Not all pieces have raw fish, so if that is the only thing keeping you from trying it, stick to the tame ones like California rolls (cooked imitation crab), crunchy shrimp rolls (fried shrimp tempura), shrimp wrap (whole cooked shrimp), tamago (scrambled egg), and vegetable pieces. Around here, most of the restaurants have enough sense to build platters off these pieces because they realize raw fish freaks some people out.

Parasites have never been a problem for me or anyone else I know, and my understanding is that there are much more stringent handling procedures for the fish used in sushi. If the restaurant looks dirty, I'd pass... Good advice in any setting.

6. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

the crunchy shrimp is my favorite

i also had softshell crab last time, and the last piece had some dirt in it, either from the seaweed or the crab itself ;P

7. nickg

nickg

my gawd i LOVE sushi. my problem is i keep eating until i'm ready to explode!!!!!!!

damn you....now i'm going to be jonesin' for sushi big time.

DAMN YOU!!!!!!;f ;f

8. hispeedlodrag

hispeedlodrag needs vacation

I love sushi. However, I only eat raw stuff at more reputable establishments, or at home using sushi grade critters.
    Contrary to the beliefs of many, most fresh fish is not safe to eat raw, especially with anadramous species such as salmon. Fish sold for the intention of being eaten raw must meet specific guidelines, including being frozen at a specific temperature below zero for a specific duration which will kill parasites. I believe that enforcement is left to local health departments. When in doubt, drink lots of sake! :)

9. noway

noway

Tako ( octopus ) and tuna are my favorite.

10. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

Sushi is Ok, once in a while.
    But with the advent of refrigeration and indoor stoves, I kind of question the tradition of:
    Lutefisk
    herring
    salt pork
    beef jerky(I'll make a frequent exception for this!)
    salt cod
    sushi
    And anything else people feel the need to eat raw, immerse in vinegar or cake in salt.

11. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I understand you can question lutefisk, since it is a form of preservation in which some nutrients are lost, but why sushi? It does not use any disgusting substances to preserve it, it has all of the nutrients, so why?

Also, I missed your point about herring. Do you object to that fish in general?

12. thaclient

thaclient aequitas

hispeedlodrag is right, not all fish is sage to just eat uncooked. I do also believe that Sushi grade is frozen immediately on the boat, and that there are other standards that make it edible raw. I dunno, maybe that's just what they tell us ;e. On the other hand I've been told that originally the pickled ginger was served to act as a natural anti-parasite.

Anyway, I love the stuff. Sashinmi and Nigiri, but also rolls. Part of the fun is trying all the unique flavors that can be found in a sushi restaurant. Also, there are many other non-fish items that most places have. Tempura is a good and cook (lightly fried), but a favorite of mine is Soba/Udon. They are two types of noodles that are usually in a soup or a very tasty sauce. So, there are options if you're not ready to jump head in.

If you're ever in a Lebanese restaurant I'd advise all you daredevils to try raw Kibbeh. It's raw beef that people have removed all the tendon, veins, and other stringy nasty stuff by hand and is in an olive oil/spice base. It's out of this world. Kind of like the Middle Eastern take on steak tar-tar. :cool:

ps. ;c! Alcohol is also a natural anti-bacterial agent, so the Sake remark is a good one. Also another reason to go to a good Japanese place. Try the cold versions in addition to the traditional hot stuff. It's kind of like wine, there are tons of different flavors to experience

Noway: Where do you normally go for Sushi. There aren't that many places I've found around that are that great since I've moved here from Orlando. I just tried Matsuri on Bird and Red (right by my place) and it was pretty good. Just to give you a heads up.

13. noway

noway

ALton rd on Miami Bch has one good place. I think it's around 13th street. ( don't hold me to that ) They also have a good plum win if you are into that stuff.

Another location for a happy-hour sushi is at McNab Rd( aka Cypress creek via I95 ) and 81th ave in the city of North lauderdale is okay ( cheap price quality is lacking ).

The REAL best sushi is a place that I can't think of the name but it is where are the Nihon-jins live at in BocaRaton off of Federal hwy just south of Yamato Rd ( yeap a japanese word for big mountain IIRC ).

You go anywhere around the Federal hwy and Yamato and north of Glades you will find top quality sushi places on the left or right. This one place I'm trying to describe is a tha/japan restraurant and has a killier raw dophlin tuna with a spicy marinade that not bad either, it about 1mile south of Yamato on the Westside in a shopping plaza. I can't think of the name, but if you want I can get my friend to check the name and address, he works in that area.

14. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Get this…

My home town has a Harley shop with a sushi bar. Yes, they have a real Japanese sushi chef. The place’s motto is: Ride American – Eat Japanese™. It’s even trademarked. And it’s damn good sushi, too.

15. thaclient

thaclient aequitas

;z I can just imagine the Harley guys- "Yes, I'd like one order of California rolls, but easy on the (k)rab, I'm trying to keep my weight down" ;)

noway: Don't worry about it man, I'll find it. I'll check it out the next time I'm up that way (my family is in West Palm so I drive North on occasion). I'm in South Miami, and that's where the place I've been going to normally is. I'll have to check out the other places you mentioned. Thanks for the info.

(end of threadjack)

16. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

Oh not at all- my point was about eating raw and preserved foods when we have refrigeration and cooking indoors.;)

17. hispeedlodrag

hispeedlodrag needs vacation

Anyone ever tried raw monkfish liver (ankimo)??

;0

18. thaclient

thaclient aequitas

Yup, about two weeks ago actually. The menu didn't mention that it was liver, just a "Japanese delicacy." They told me it was monkfish, and didn't mention that it wasn't the fillet ;P. It's like foie gras, which is okay but I can't eat too much of. I had one or two pieces of the stuff and was done. Not that it was bad, but the liver texture started to get to me. My girlfriend braved enough to have a bite but couldn't do it. Let's put it this way: If someone ordered it I would probably have a slice, but wouldn't order it on my own again.

19. noway

noway

I had monkfish raw and it's not one of the better items. I rather eat ikura vrs monkfish.

btw, for you all that can't speak japanese Ikura are the salmon eggs. You need a big cup of sake or a few asahi beers for the eggs to go down.

20. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I'll bite. Why? I have it frequently, but I never thought they would taste better with alcohol. In fact, most of the sushi I eat is so delicate I would be afraid to overpower its flavor with beer. Sake might be a bit better, but even then, alcohol quickly stunts your taste receptivity, so you would end up diminishing your experience.