close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

survivalist stuff

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by southernshooter, Mar 20, 2010.

1. southernshooter

southernshooter

Sites like backwoods home and survivalist boards make for some interesting reading. With all the stuff going on now opinions run from "this too shall pass" all the way to total economic collapse with armed gangs roaming the streets. Anybody doing anything different in their lives? Storing food, getting ready for home canning etc? I have started stockpiling canned foods and of course ammo, which I would have done anyway.

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

No, because if I did that I'd be the kind of nutcase that reads survivalist boards.

3. southernshooter

southernshooter

Call me a nutcase if you like. I read all kinds of boards to see the opinions of others. People on backwoods home don't seem too nutty to me. Lots of nice folks with recipes and articles on how to do and make things. Some would call me a nutcase for reading firearms blogs I guess. Thanks for your opinion.

4. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

I live out in the bush. We do those things anyway as a matter of practice.

5. chuckman

chuckman

I didn't interpret his post 'that' way. I understand that on those forums there ARE a bunch of nuts who are preparing for armageddon. Good on them...everyone needs a hobby, I guess, but as dire things are the probability (if you follow risk matrices and probability indices that 'experts' follow) of those end of civilization scenarios are just not likely.

There are good things to glean on those boards, but I tend to shy away from those who want to put tin foil inside their homes to reflect the eavesdropping devices of the black helicopters.

I do a good bit of preparedness for myself for the 'outback' (i.e., camping/hiking), and for my family in the event of a natural disaster.

6. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

Nothing wrong with being prepared. I might argue that there is something wrong with not being prepared. I completely agree, though, that a lot of people take it too far as far as I'm concerned, and places you mentioned above are a good place to find those types..what were you expecting to find? There is a lot to learn from a preparedness capacity from the "nuts"--like anything. I've always tried to take in what I felt was worth taking in and deflecting what's not on all things..a "survivalist board" filled with "nutcases" is no different, heh.

7. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Not a nutcase, but we have read Backwoods Home for many years, not because of the survivalist content but because of the common sense information on gardening and living a sane lifestyle. In the event of a catastrophe the nut cases will take themselves out of the gene pool pretty quick and so will the McMansion dwelling credit card addicts. Throughout history the people who live their lives quietly while being prepared to fend for themselves have usually done pretty well in hard times.

8. Marine8541

Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

First, don't confuse the real S&P guys with these nut jobs running wild on the Internet. That would be like associating gun owners with some of the people who post on GNG. I'm LDS so I have one year of food and water stored along with some other stuff. You can cal me a nut job if you want but during hurricanes Hugo and Andrew I wasn't standing in line waiting for Government help I was doing just fine on my own. If I lose my income then my family and I have no food bill for a year. During countless power outages in Colorado, snow storms, and now wild fires I don't worry about losing my heat, my power, or running out of food, water or medicine. I like being self sufficient, I like growing, raising, and hunting and preserving as much of my food as possible. It's just prudent to be prepared.

That being said no matter what I do most people will think of Preppers as those tools they see at the gun shows who like to play militia, or those fools who have taken over GT's S&P forum and run off many of the good posters with their political arguments and their Red Dawn fantasies.

Every time this country has a major disaster we have threads about how can people be such sheep and just sit there in squalor waiting for help but then again every time we have a thread about preparedness we have those saying that those who are prepared have to be crazy. You can't have it both ways, either you'll be prepared or you'll be dependent on aid from the State.

You want to know how you can tell a real Prepper from a fool? I'll tell you, ask them about Prepping and if they talk about food, water, shelter, financial preparedness (lack of debt especially), gardening and food preservation, physical fitness and tools then listen. If they immediately talk about weapons, tactics, camouflage gear, chest harnesses, caches, AK vs AR vs shotguns, ambushes, who to kill, gold coins, then walk the other way.

There are many good preppers out there but few will be found playing Rambo on the net.

9. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

I am a long time subscriber to the Backwoods Home magazine.

Lots of practical stuff for everyday living and not a bunch of environmentalist stuff like Mother Earth News.

They also have good firearms articles for the Noob.

10. Waffen Monk

Waffen Monk

Excellent post :wavey:

11. zeke66

zeke66

That's some good advice right there, but contemplating all the Rambo stuff is way funner.:whistling:

Seriously, I have hung out at most all of the S&P sights off and on for about 12 or 13 years. Frugalsquirrels was the first. I also like thementalmilitia, survivalistboards and, yes, even zombiehunters. A guy at work actually made me a tin-foil hat last week.

12. silentpoet

silentpoet

Honestly Zombiehunters is about the most level headed of the boards in my opinion.

13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Can't say I'm not concerned with all that's going on but I haven't entered the full survivalist mode yet. I do believe those incompetent, arrogant, traitorous, turds in Washington will continue doing increasing damage to the country, and things are going to get a lot worse.

With this in mind I do stay stocked up on food, etc, that I normally use anyhow. Keep extra gas around the place. Plant a little garden. Things like that, without going overboard.
    And I give a little thought to "what if" scenarios.

A good interesting book, written some time back, is "Lucifer's Hammer". It shows pretty realistically how people would act in a long time SHTF scenario.

14. zeke66

zeke66

Oh, don't get me wrong. I like 'em too. It's just that many who I encounter online are kind of taken aback by their tongue-in-cheek zombie references/theme.

15. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

nothing out of the ordinary. we have a few days of food and a lot of water stored up... but that's just for "ordinary" stuff like a tornado coming through and knocking out electricity, water, and such.. nothing major like a total collapse into anarchy...

16. Teej

Teej

Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared"

I don't have a firearm planning to shoot someone, it's "just in case".

I don't have a 1st aid kit or current 1st aid/cpr certification so I can be a paramedic, I have them "just in case".

I don't have a fire extenguisher so I can be a fireman, I have them "just in case".

I don't have a couple full gas cans to be a gas station, I have them "just in case".

I don't have extra food in the house so I can be a convience store, I have them "just in case".

I'm not making these preparations for someone to call me a nut case survivalist, I am making preparations "just in case".

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  17. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I have a stock pile of food, water, ammo, medical supplies and other things. But my reason is for when that next nasty earthquake hits. Better to be prepared for a real disaster than not. I even have a BOB in the truck and at work... just in case.

18. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

There are survivalists, and there are "preppers".

Survivalists are the nut jobs who live it day in and day out and HOPE FOR THE WORST so they can be vindicated and laugh at others who didn't prepare. To them, anyone who doesn't is a sheep. They sit around posting about "the patriot movement" and call themselves patriots, when they are nothing but hot air. You'll see this mentality on one specific board that I don't frequent.

Preppers are people who set aside preparations for whatever potential natural disaster, and HOPE IT NEVER HAPPENS, but if it does, they want to be ready and not dependent on government.

I am a prepper. I live in an area that is due for an earthquake. I also believe we are in the end times when earthquakes have been predicted to occur more frequently. Look at the last couple months.

I do have stores of water, food, communication, first aid, and hygiene items. But I didn't break the bank doing it, and I certainly don't hope it happens.

Unfortunately, the nut job survivalists are the ones who have the information and experience a prepper needs to tap.

ETA: there are also homesteaders. Those are the Backwoods magazine types.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  19. wyattearp

wyattearp

Ditto this. *

20. Jake514

Jake514

M2 Carbine,
    I started "Lucifer's Hammer" last year but put it down, and must get back to it. Another book I enjoyed was "One Second After," which you may also enjoy.