Survival Pistol

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Texanmile, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

My point is the 9mm is objectively what it is, 357 Sig is objectively what it is. LG however wants people to buy 9mm because it is every ones favorite low recoil range fun gun which results in more ammo sells for them. Everyone's on the 9mm bandwagon right now because it's the money maker. LG just seems obviously biased against the 357 Sig for some reason.

Toni77 likes this.
  2. bdcochran

bdcochran

I observe that it is a resurrected thread.
    So, here is an option.
    1. Do the research and you will find that there are firearms that can change caliber/magazines with a barrel change.
    2. Do the research and learn whether there have been any problems with changing barrels/magazines.
    3. Perhaps the easiest approach to exploring the internet is to use a google search like ".22 lr conversion kits for handguns".
    4. Do not forget that concepts like velocity/range/penetration power, zombies/bears/deer/mice are completely meaningless unless you have the skills. A miss is a miss. Being skillful is not a matter of purchasing a firearm or being an American. It also is not a matter of reading a book/watching a video. You have to find competent people from whom you can obtain the skills.

3. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

And of course these people provide the skills free of charge.

Toni77 likes this.
  4. bdcochran

bdcochran

People save the time and money and comfort themselves with the belief that when shtf in their own lives, they will be ready to learn and will have the time. And, then it will be free.

5. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Exactly!

6. evo8904

evo8904

For me, it depends on the situation. If it’s shtf collapse, I’m going with me glock 19 for sidearm. G17/19s are extremely common and parts/mags are easy to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk mobile app

7. DAKA

DAKA

"Harry" says, "This is a 44 Magnum, the most powerful hand gun in the world, blow your head clean off"
    So, not that I'd go into the woods with bears, but I'll take Harrys word...

8. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Good luck getting pistol parts in a SHTF situation.

bdcochran likes this.
  9. Dr357sig

Dr357sig

You just need a couple to line up.

porschedog likes this.
  10. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    As much as I like my 19X, 43, 27, and 19 pistols, I would probably choose my G20 for its versatility or maybe one of my Smith .357’s.

11. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

That is why you should stock up on parts and mags now and no pistol is easier and more affordable to do that with than a Glock.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Deputydave and Railsplitter like this.
  12. DAKA

DAKA

13. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

14. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

The interchangeability of the different Glock is better than so many other guns.
    The G20/21 frame can shoot everything from 22LR, 9mm, 357Sig, 40SW, 10mm, 45ACP. All you need is 3 different slides, 3 recoil spring setups, then the barrels. Heck you can do 9mm, 357Sig, 40SW, and 10mm with just one slide, 2 recoil setups, the barrels.

OR
    You can go with the a G19/23 frame to shoot 9mm, 357Sig, 40SW. Then get the conversion 22LR.

I am trying to do the same kind of thing with a Sig220 and it is falling short for the 45ACP/10mm/40/357Sig. I can not do 10mm/45acp. I may get the 10mm and then have my nephew make custom barrels for 357Sig and 40S&W. I probably can not get the 9mm to work.

I am also working on the Sig P226. I may be able to get it to work with 9mm, 357Sig and 40S&W to work.

15. Blanton

Blanton

Considering the many variables, in a survival situation it is MHO that urban/suburban areas won't stay that way for long. Whether bugging in/out, animals will relocate as humans do. We're already seeing bears in our suburban Baltimore regions for various reasons.
    I agree with the poster that I can't see having only one pistol but considering catastrophic weather, hellacious living conditions and the like, my survival pistol would be my Ruger GP 100, 4" SS in .357 Magnum. At home defending from the looters and hoards it would be rifle backed up by high cap G19/20/21/23s

16. Nutty Professor 188

Nutty Professor 188 Patrol Corporal

Of the two the OP listed, the G19 for sure.

Triple the capacity in the first loadout for a similar size and weight package.

For an overall gun I think 9mm might be a better compromise than the 10mm or 44 Mag unless you are trying to bias toward defense against large animal.

I agree the 357 Mag is a versatile launch platform (38 for small game, 357 Mag for the larger furry chainsaws, shot cartridges for birds and such) but the 9mm has a similar smorgasbord, 115 FMJ for small game, +P and +P+ for bigger things, and there are 9mm shot cartridges (admittedly a single shot proposition). I fully realize that a 9mm is not bear medicine but If I put 16 rounds on a bears snot locker and he still eats me I hope I could hold my head (what's left of it) high when I make my plea to St Peter.

My first handgun ever was a GP100 and my first carry gun was a SP101 but that was a long time ago and I have carried Glocks for 20+ years now. I can put rounds out of an automatic much faster and easier now.

My buddy carries his G26 when he deer hunts. He has taken a few hogs and one deer with it because the deer walked under the tree stand and it was less awkward to get the pistol on target than his rifle. The same officer put down a standing, full size, longhorn steer with his G17/3 (on-duty).

I think one thing to be said for a Glock as a survival gun is durability, reliability under adverse environmental conditions, and ease of maintenance. I love my Ruger revolvers but I would have to say I think my Glocks would be more reliable when covered in mud than my revolvers.

When it comes to detail stripping a Glock in the field the Glock tool is pretty easy to keep with you (and a handcuff key works well in a pinch). Anyone can learn to detail strip a Glock in less than an hour (and it's a valuable skill to have in your mental toolbox). If the gun got filthy and mud/dirt filled it's good to be able to take the gun all the way down. You would be surprised what can get way down in the guts of the gun. I went swimming in full uniform to go into a car submerged in a lake. My G17/5 stayed in the SERPA 3 holster the whole time. When I was cleaning my gear I detailed stripped the gun and was surprised to find some green algae or muck or something inside the trigger housing around the trigger return spring. I am almost 100% confident it would have not effected function but it goes to show where crap can get into. I have a Glock 19 spare spring kit that's vacuum packed. Very light and easy to pack in the go bag. You could keep about half of the Glock's spare parts in a package that would fit in the space of a spare mag.

I am an armorer for a few different guns and I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but I readily admit to being nervous about detail stripping a revolver, especially in the field, and some of the revolver parts need to be hand fitted. In all of my years I have personally seen dirty revolvers not to be as functionally reliable as people have been led to believe.

Some other posts mention the 10mm. I have a G20SF and if I were primarily using it a defense against larger animals it would would my go to. But I interpreted this post to refer to more of a general purpose application so I would probably choose my 9mm Glock (19, 19X, or G45).

For home defense, I would still go with G19 because of capacity. In my area bad guys tend to break into houses 4 deep. The good news is they tend to flee at the sight of homeowners but if they did decide to press the attack a 5 or 6 shot revolver seems to be cutting the margins pretty close.

For urban use, same argument as above, plus the advantage of efficient reloading. My Glock has as many rounds in one loadout as my revolver + 2 speedloaders. Cartridges tend to expended at a prodigious rate in a running gunfight. We do not specifically train to lay down supressive fire but we are familiar with the concept and I think its comforting to be able to deliver it on the run. Not conducive with a revolver.

When it comes down to it, either is a good choice, so carry what you want but just be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of either platform.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Jamie45 likes this.
  17. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

As I understand it, modern revolvers are CNC machined. So parts from one should work in others. No hand fitting needed.

I agree that I would rather field strip my Glock vs. get into the guts of my revolvers. Some are easy to take apart and put back together. While others....ugg.

18. Dave Hill

Dave Hill

Mod17 Glock. Light weight and lots of rounds per magazine.

19. treg

treg

Hmmm, I'm a SA revolver fan and a .40 cal proponent, but the G34 wins this one for me.

Lumber31 and wiskeyVI like this.
  20. seamaster

seamaster

I don't remember what I posted before but now I'd choose my LCRx3 22 LR.

8 rd capacity, no magazines to lose or keep track of, no feeding/ejecton/firing issues even with the worst ammo, and it's very light weight.

JFrame and wiskeyVI like this.