Survival Pistol

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Texanmile, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Texanmile

Texanmile

Alright folks... looking at all around pistols for survival to run the gamut... home defense, urban, woods. Something perfect for all these areas does not exist, but I want a balance. I am currently stuck between a Ruger SP101 3" or a Glock 19 3rd Gen...

What say you? For what reasons?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. pmwglock19

pmwglock19

I would go with the G-19. I have one and a very dependable weapon. It would be my go to weapon in that scenario.

3. Aceman

Aceman

If it has to go woods - I have to say 4" .357 Magnum.

The .357 will stop any thing in the city or the country. The 9mm will stop all city creatures, but not all things in the woods.

My personal choice would actually be maybe a Taurus 6" 7 shot .357.
    .357 158 round nose for bear
    .357 125JHP for 2 legged angry things
    .38 for lighter hunting chores
    .38 birdshot round for snakes, birds, squirrels etc...

Bring enough gun. G19 is not enough gun for bear, hogzilla's etc...

PRKJayhawk, mrasgt, Blanton and 4 others like this.
  4. JimIsland

JimIsland

For me it would have to be a G29. Hot loads for big critters and milder HP for everything else. Damn versatile gun and round.

G19 if I had to pick one of your choices.

5. JK-linux

JK-linux

Ruger 22/45 - can feed me and kill bad guys just fine. I'll rely on my wits to avoid bigger animals.

porschedog, syntaxerrorsix and jmohme like this.
  6. bdcochran

bdcochran

g29 with 40 S * W spare barrel and .22lr Advantage Arms conversion kit.

6 practice mags each caliber.
    6 shtf (tested and not used mags) mags.
    holster.
    2 double mag carriers each caliber
    1000 factory 10
    1000 factory 40
    50000 factory .22lr
    1 Fobus holster
    1 decent belt.

G19 is the same frame as G23. Then get the 23 and 9m conversion barrel and .22lr Advantage Arms conversion kit.

Cali-Glock, Pierre! and ironhead7544 like this.
  7. racerford

racerford

G29 concealed or G20 if you have the room. Most versatile round out there in a reliable semi-auto (match the load to the enviroment or carry different loads in different mags).

G26-Has-my-6, refugeepj and jmohme like this.
  8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

G29? You trying to vaporize everything within a 5 mile radius by touching off a 10mm in a short barrel?:whistling:

Why not carry a Smith M629 3" Mountain Revolver with an option to go 44 special for light duty instead?

larry_minn and cmontrose1 like this.
  9. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Some of these uses conflict, but I would think most folks would want to compromise in the non-defensive uses (personal/home defense being too important to give up very much in those areas). I think the Glock 20 would cover all the bases well if concealment could be accomplished. Magnum revolvers would also serve fairly well, but I think a quality, reliable, high-capacity autoloader is a much better choice than any revolver for the total spectrum of home/personal defensive uses.

I'd probably go with my Glock 34 (or possibly the G35) to cover the defensive chores, and just use special ammo to make do for any other categories (catch-as-catch-can small/medium game hunting, for instance).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
    motorcycleman likes this.
  10. Maine1

Maine1

I CC my G-20. EDC, SHTF, woods carry, for all ocasions.

Weight to power wise, its better than a 38/357/44 revolver, as it weighs less for the capacity.
    Its not the most powerful pistol, but does most things with gusto, and the G-20 is aa great match for the 10mm.

jmohme and orangejeep06 like this.
  11. RatDrall

RatDrall

The Glock 19 would be my choice. Similar power level as the 3" revolver, with 3 times the capacity.

Despite popular belief, when you walk into the forest bears don't jump out from around every tree and try to eat you. They mostly see or hear you and run away.

.357 or 9mm are equally stupid for bear defense anyway. Anyone who says that a .357 "will" stop a bear is full of ****.

12. mes228

mes228

For concealed carry and all around protection it's very hard to beat the Glock 19 or Model 23 (same pistol but .40 cal. - use Model 22 mags and you have 15 rounds .40 caliber). I have both and they are great guns.

However, for REALLY collapse scenarios of both woods, everything, everywhere it would be very hard to beat the H&K High Capacity .45. Or the FN Tactical .45 Both are large but not heavy, comfortable to shoot, accurate with amazing capacity. I have both and they are great guns. The FN is higher capacity and comes with the slide milled to accept the 1/2 oz. very small Trijicon RMR Red Dot sights. The RMR can be left "on" as the battery will power the dot for 4 years 24/7 and "co-witnesses" with the sights. The FN is the cat's meow and a great idea. Especially for old eyes. The combo will run approx. $1900 for both the FN & RMR.

One caveat, the FN I have is back at FN being repaired as it has a 1% to 3% failure to feed with any ammo. This is apparently not a problem for most of them. I just happened to get one with a problem. Love the concept, love the pistol, but am getting sick of FN's slow repair time with the pistol. If it was a 100% pistol (and most are) there's nothing like the concept.

13. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

i agree. with all the various loads commercially available from soft shooting stuff from the big three to full power stuff, defense against criminals and wild animals can be met with this one caliber.

14. mes228

mes228

One comment on the .357 caliber. I have killed only one Black Bear and that was with a 30-06. I have known two people (both happen to be Game Wardens) that have killed Black Bear with a .357. One was a problem bear. And one was when the Warden came home late at night with two bags of groceries, his hands full. Large BB on his porch wanted the groceries and wasn't polite at all and insisted on taking them. Three rounds from a .357 short barreled S&W made that bear "dead right there". If you check the .357 has taken every big game animal on earth. That includes elephant, water buffalo, and polar bear. Most were taken years ago before they down loaded cartridges for the .357 to today's anemic loads. That being said I would not choose a .357 to hunt bear with but it's better than your fist.

I also know a Montana Guide that preferred the Glock 10mm with heavy loads for bear protection (including Grizzly) to a .44 mag. He preferred the capacity to revolvers.

G30 Medic likes this.
  15. Akita

Akita gone

Glock 29 +
    40 S/W bbl
    357SIG bbl
    Lone Wolf 9mm conversion bbl
    AA 22 LR kit

Nothing is more versatile in a pistol than a 10mm with common bbl interchanges. I wouldnt want to go up against a Grizzly, but I'd be comfortable hunting everything else in the lower 48 with that setup.

ironhead7544 likes this.
  16. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

A hot 357 is certainly viable against black bears. Wouldn't take on a grizzly with one though but it has been done:

http://www.adn.com/2010/06/24/1339528/alaska-geologist-survives-2-attacks.html

All that said, bigger would be better, but you start the tip the scale away from the other uses. Anyway, I'm not picking "one" gun to do everything based on it's ability to take bears easily.

Railsplitter likes this.
  17. quake

quake Millennium Member

I'm typically a fan of autos for defense and revolvers for woods. That said, given your choices I'd lean toward the glock 19 as my "one gun" choice; partly because of the specifics of the revolver in question. Five-shot, small-frame, shortish barrel, etc, makes it less than a .357 can usually be. Still can best the 9mm with the right loads, but imo the performance-gap of the ammunition is close enough that it's offset by the tripled capacity and reduced recoil of the glock, at least in this specific case.

I do think it's close though, as far as woods use. If the revolver were a heavier six-shot with a 4" barrel, I'd choose it for woods use over the glock; so it's obviously a pretty nip-&-tuck decision for me at least.

BUT... for the home-defense & urban use aspects, the g19 wins hands-down imo; so factoring in all potential uses, of the two I'd have to recommend the glock. If you're going into the woods with it, I'd just say be sure it's as heavily-loaded as possible; generic 115jhp's would be about my last choice for woods carry with it. A good +P+ 127 (or heavier) jhp would be my first choice.

orangejeep06 and Goldstar225 like this.
  18. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

I think, if you ask this question on a GLOCK forum, you're going to get a lot of GLOCK answers.

19. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

If I had to choose a handgun to be my last firearm in the whole world and be the "do all in any kind of conditions".. it would have to be a revolver.

20. Mcoupe

Mcoupe

Interesting. Does the 40 and 357 sig barrel just drop into the G29?