Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In addition to their sharpness and usefulness, replaceable blade wholesale knives are the new rage. When I was a kid, I carried a Buck 110 and a Gerber, and later I switched to a fixed blade that I made. As weight and long hikes became more of an issue, I moved to a lighter folder - the Spyderco stretch.
My only reason for avoiding replaceable bladed razor knives is that my knife is more of a multipurpose tool. That's just my personal preference.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm old-fashioned and my #1 knife is the US Air Force knife, made by Ontario. Out of the box it was completely dull. First I sharpened it, later I changed the complete grinding angle and the leather grip and sheat needed a lot of dubbin.
But I love it. It's the AK 47 of outdoor knives.

My #2 is the Spanish Aitor Jungle King 2. Not because of the gimmicks, but I love the blade and the sheath is very funktional.

Sleeve Hunting knife Everyday carry Knife Wood

Hand tool Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Wire stripper

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Are we talking about folding knives or survival knives? This is the knife that is in my get home bag.

I also went with the Strongarm. I found it online for just over $60. I don't know if it has the very best steel or anything, but I believe it will do anything I call upon it to do. The sheath is very versatile and it molles on. I currently have it on a plate carrier.

·
Banned
28,223 Posts
Gerber's QC went way down after it's sale to Fiskars in '87. It hasn't been a contender in the knife world since. I've still got a Magnum and an Exchange a Blade but I'd not consider Gerber to be anything more than a blister pack Walmart knife. YMMV.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
I'm old-fashioned and my #1 knife is the US Air Force knife, made by Ontario. Out of the box it was completely dull. First I sharpened it, later I changed the complete grinding angle and the leather grip and sheet needed a lot of dubbin.
But I love it. It's the AK 47 of outdoor knives.

My #2 is the Spanish Aitor Jungle King 2. Not because of the gimmicks, but I love the blade and the sheath is very funktional.

View attachment 1084042

View attachment 1084043
What grind did you put on the ontario.I noticed like you the same thing. 95% of all the ontarios i got were very sharp out of the box..this was the exception it was dull..i got a ok edge on it with my work sharp but wasnt sure and id thought about changing the angle also

·
Stepping down to the gin palace
10,302 Posts
Gerber's QC went way down after it's sale to Fiskars in '87. It hasn't been a contender in the knife world since. I've still got a Magnum and an Exchange a Blade but I'd not consider Gerber to be anything more than a blister pack Walmart knife. YMMV.
I broke quite a few of them. You could get the damn things super-sharp, but the blades were brittle as hell. I still have a Gator that resides in my glove-box.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts

this as a bushcraft/survival type(mine was a full size not the mini couldnt find the full size though), a Ontario SP-15 as a tactical , and a large folder a Gerber parabellum, small folder Ritter Griptillian benchmade or Ontario RAT.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
IDK they're quality control must have
Improved tremendously. The reviewer from the first video I posted passed around the same Gerber to four or five different viewers and they put it through Hell Week. One of the reviewers hacked a door apart with it. One tore apart a fifty gallon drum. In the first video the guy takes the knife out and he uses it for Bushcraft tasks such as batoning wood and hacking logs apart and shaving feather sticks.

I've actually done those things with mine in the field. I mean, I haven't hscked a door apart with my knife but I have batoned wood. I have shaved feather sticks. I have hacked logs apart with it. I have used the spine of the knife to strike sparks from a Ferro rod. I've used it for everything I'd do with a knife in a survival situation ( except skin an animal or clean a fish) and it held up to it.

If I was miraculously recalled to active duty for a deployment I'd have no problem taking that knife.

·
Banned
28,223 Posts
IDK they're quality control must have
Improved tremendously. The reviewer from the first video I posted passed around the same Gerber to four or five different viewers and they put it through Hell Week. One of the reviewers hacked a door apart with it. One tore apart a fifty gallon drum. In the first video the guy takes the knife out and he uses it for Bushcraft tasks such as batoning wood and hacking logs apart and shaving feather sticks.

I've actually done those things with mine in the field. I mean, I haven't hscked a door apart with my knife but I have batoned wood. I have shaved feather sticks. I have hacked logs apart with it. I have used the spine of the knife to strike sparks from a Ferro rod. I've used it for everything I'd do with a knife in a survival situation ( except skin an animal or clean a fish) and it held up to it.

If I was miraculously recalled to active duty for a deployment I'd have no problem taking that knife.

Far too many better options out there for me to go back to Fiskars. Even their scissors have gone downhill. Glad yours has served you well.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I EDC a SAK and a Kershaw folder.

My camp knife is a Mora Companion.

I also have an old Ontario SP-3 that I can pull out of retirement if needed.

I've been thinking about picking up a Strongarm and/or a Glock Field knife. But I'm not a knife collector and I only have two hands, so we'll see if I do or don't. (The Strongarm has already been in the Save for Later area of my Amazon shopping cart for a year or more).

·
Kydex Crafter
8,136 Posts
I have a TOPPS US Military Combat Knife and a Esse RAT 7. I also have an original Kabar that I keep in the vehicles. If I need anything else I'll bring a sword...LOL

·
Banned
28,223 Posts

FWIW this is my daily carry knife. It has been since 1995. I have carried this combination in the field and would have no problem doing so again. So any type of survival situation that I would be in I would have these on me.

Not sure how many Multi-Pliers the Army issued me that broke, but yeah a MT is a requirement.

Wood Knife Utility knife Everyday carry Blade

The fixed blade and the folder change from time to time but the MT is a mainstay for EDC.

Reactions: porschedog

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Not sure how many Multi-Pliers the Army issued me that broke, but yeah a MT is a requirement.
I bought a Multiplier at the Fort Carson PX in 1995. I was an ammo handler in my last unit (B 2/157 FA Colorado National Guard) and I used the Multitool to break open quite a few Artillery projectile crates and a few Fuze boxes. I also used it to break loose the "Eye Bolt Lifting Plug" on quite a few 8 inch rounds. A guy in my unit actually used the diamond saw to cut the padlock off of his duffel bag once when he forgot his keys. I lost it in the field in 2000(ish?) and bought the one in the picture as a replacement.

I carried it on my belt at work as security guard for 15 years. I rehung quite a few signs on the fence with it tightened quite a few loose screws with it.

I don't know if I got lucky and got a good one or you got unlucky and got a bad one

1 - 20 of 70 Posts