Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I admit I read Soldier Of Fortune. It was one of the assorted mags/gun rags I would pick up and read at work then send to my brother during his last deployment. I still enjoy it.

There was an account of a survival prep writer who went to Libya during the fun. He mentioned that these chocolate flavored food replacement/ supplement tabs were important because he didnt get along with a lot of the available food and that the containers were designed to fit a gi canteen pouch.
http://www.campingsurvival.com/sufotachfl.html

Anyone try them? Anything to them? Similar stuff? Finally looked them up. Kinda interesting.

·
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
3,532 Posts
A lot of the claims in that article are stretched a bit but the actual product doesn't look particularly bad. Basically dry milk (protein), sugar, fat, and a vitamin pill.

You could make the same thing a hell of a lot cheaper though, with better ingredients.

·
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
3,532 Posts

·
Registered
33,653 Posts
If it works and helps you live a little longer in a disaster, taste is on the last of my list of worries.
I don't buy MREs or freeze-dried foods that I don't like either. If I had nothing else, ok I'll eat it, but if I can choose then I will do so.

I could eat dog feed if I had to to stay alive. Doesn't mean that's what I'm going to stockpile!

·
Slacked jawed
11,211 Posts
The nutrional chart mentions

NUTRITION FACTS
Calories 240
Calories from Fat 108
Total Fat 12g, 18% Daily Value
Saturated Fat 3g, 15% Daily Value
Cholesterol 3g, 1% Daily Value
Sodium 140mg, 6% Daily Value
Total Carbohydrates 30g, 10% Daily Value
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 12g
Protein 4g
Vitamin A 100%
Vitamin C 100%
Calcium 20%
Iron 100%
Thiamin (B1) 100%
Riboflavin (B2) 100%
Niacin 100%
Vitamin D 100%
Vitamin E 100%
Pyridoxine HCL (B6) 100%
Folic Acid 100%
Vitamin B12 100%
Phosphorous 10%
Iodine 100%
Pantotyhenic Acid (B5) 100%
Zinc 100%
Manganese 100%
I'm thinking WOW, that is intense, all that in one little pill. With a 10 year shelf life and 180 pills for $24, that would solve my S&P needs perfectly.

But then I look at the reviews and Q/A and my hopes were dashed....

You need to take 12 pills to get to that 240 calorie, nutritional chart serving mark.

That is pretty much an Epic Fail. To get a day's worth of calories, let's say 2400 calories to make the math easy, you need to take 120 pills a day. With the 180 count jar, one jar only carries around a day and 1/2 of food. $24 for a day and a half of food is a ripoff? Also you are definately megadosing/overdosing on the vitamins eating nothing but those pills for several days.

·
Registered
33,653 Posts
12 Tabs Per Day Is All You’ll Need The Survival Tabs will keep you alive and moving for months at a time, on the amount you can carry in your backpack. Our recommended consumption of 12 tabs per day may be decreased when other foods are available in adequate amounts and quality

Twelve tabs per day supply a considerable portion of the calorie requirements of an active adult.

·
Slacked jawed
11,211 Posts
12 Tabs Per Day Is All You’ll Need The Survival Tabs will keep you alive and moving for months at a time, on the amount you can carry in your backpack. Our recommended consumption of 12 tabs per day may be decreased when other foods are available in adequate amounts and quality

Twelve tabs per day supply a considerable portion of the calorie requirements of an active adult.
That is pure BS. If they think you can keep "alive and moving" on 240 calories a day, for months. They are morons.

A. Twelve Survival Tabs supply 100% of the USRDA for practically all the vitamins and minerals indicated on the label, with the exception of Calcium, which in order to have 100% of the RDA we'd have to make the Survival Tab as big as a golf ball.
Now look at the chart in my last post.

12 Tabs provide 100% of the U.S. RDA of 15 Essential Vitamins & Minerals And that’s not all. The reason The Survival Tabs are so effective, is that they are literally jam-packed with concentrated nutrition. The protein we use is of the highest quality only. That’s important because protein can be of varied quality. If it is poor quality, your body will not be able to assimilate it properly. With most food products, 30%-60% of the calorie content leaves the body unused. Survival Tabs are so completely digestible that 99% of their calorie content can be actually utilized for energy. Ninety-seven percent of the protein content is available for repair or replacement of essential body substances, such as blood, muscle and nerves.
Review
Posted By: Susan Wilson
On: April 17, 2009

These are really delicious! With only 240 calories in every 12 tabs yes, just 20 cals. each, you can eat 60 of them in a day and take in only 1200 cals! Even though they were formulated as a complete food for survival, I'm trying them out first a a "diet starter" and it's going very well - I feel great, not hungry, full of energy! I do plan to take some with me traveling, too -

·
Not Ready Yet!
1,149 Posts
You could make the same thing a hell of a lot cheaper though, with better ingredients.
Yes you could. But if you do, don't discuss it here. I tried to get some discussion on my survival bars, and basically was on the receiving end of rotten eggs and tomatoes for "being off topic" on this survival forum. Was mocked for "being in the kitchen when the SHTF."

Yet, if it's a pill and not a bar...? Well I guess it's OK to discuss then? Sure, that makes sense. Pills are for macho men who have scars and carry guns when they assault the bathroom. Bars that require baking are for men who wear pink, like to decorate, and use the word "fabulous."

Back to the pills, I noticed: "Survival Tabs are so completely digestible that 99% of their calorie content can be actually utilized for energy."

So, by my calculations, if I lived on these, I'd need to poop only once every three months. That would mean I'd get absolutely no reading done.

·
Registered
15,438 Posts
Reading is clearly a survival skill.

Do you subsist on 2000 calories a day?

I did a google search on a man 50 years old, intense exercise 5 days a week, standing 6 feet tall and weighing 200 lbs. It takes 2801 calories a day.

So, are you going to be sitting on your duff when shtf? Of course not.

The advertising has you taking 1 tablet every hour.

1. the check is in the mail.
2. it is only a cold sore.
3. the Mercedes is paid for.
4. one size fits all.
5. new and improved.
6. anonymous source studies indicate that people can live for months on our product with no other product consumed.

If you think that you are going to have a radical change in diet, eat a few pills a day, and be able to handle shtf, great. Personally, I know a guy who peddled tap water over the internet as a cure for AIDs. The Feds tried to get him, but failed.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yes you could. But if you do, don't discuss it here. I tried to get some discussion on my survival bars, and basically was on the receiving end of rotten eggs and tomatoes for "being off topic" on this survival forum. Was mocked for "being in the kitchen when the SHTF."

Yet, if it's a pill and not a bar...? Well I guess it's OK to discuss then? Sure, that makes sense. Pills are for macho men who have scars and carry guns when they assault the bathroom. Bars that require baking are for men who wear pink, like to decorate, and use the word "fabulous."
Yeah I've noticed Solider of Fortune is noticeably a little light on the baking recipes. :whistling:
Interested and down for a survival cooking recipe thread/sticky. Have the good basic hardtack recipe and can grill up a mean Mountain House bacon egg and cheeseburger...

Found the bit about what the guy took:
http://www.sofmag.com/american-boots-ground-libya

·
Not Ready Yet!
1,149 Posts
Yeah I've noticed Solider of Fortune is noticeably a little light on the baking recipes too. Interested and down for a survival cooking recipe thread/sticky.
Indeed. I've been trying to make the equivalent of human "dog food." Something nutritious that you could eat every day (if you had to), and would be relatively balanced for fat, carbo, and protein. (Not trying to cram in all the vits and mins, we have pills for those). Most my recipes have been oatmeal based, which seems to be a pretty good starting point. But that's my bias as I'm a 95% vegetarian. Again, not high on the "manly" scale, but goes nice with my pink slacks and my fabulous ladysmith.

It is odd how de-emphasized cooking is. Everybody knows "An army runs on its stomach" and yet Cookie is always low man on the totem pole.

·
Registered
15,438 Posts
"It is odd how de-emphasized cooking is. "

It is also odd that there are no leads to US commercial sources of UN approved high energy biscuits, rufs, and other items developed for third world countries.

If I am looking forward to 30-60-90 days of making it on my own, I would want well tested, properly stored, and inexpensive food. I am not talking about mre's, Mountain House, the Mormon one year food supply. I am focused on learning where I can purchase the ediible food provided to third world people (who live on it) and not have to spend time cooking now or cooking after shtf.

I started a thread on learning where those sources might be. There probably are none in the USA. I have even written overseas.

Bolster - I have made the jerky, the jams and other items. It is time consuming.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
It is also odd that there are no leads to US commercial sources of UN approved high energy biscuits, rufs, and other items developed for third world countries.
The WFP high energy biscuits are a product of EM5 in Pakistan. Might try some specialty international grocers. Have seen them on Alibaba if you're interested in importing/stocking up by the metric ton. I don't think it is odd and there are several things working against anyone marketing any UN food to the US survival/preparedness market.

·
Slacked jawed
11,211 Posts
"It is odd how de-emphasized cooking is. "

If I am looking forward to 30-60-90 days of making it on my own, I would want well tested, properly stored, and inexpensive food. I am not talking about mre's, Mountain House, the Mormon one year food supply. I am focused on learning where I can purchase the ediible food provided to third world people (who live on it) and not have to spend time cooking now or cooking after shtf.

I started a thread on learning where those sources might be. There probably are none in the USA. I have even written overseas.

Bolster - I have made the jerky, the jams and other items. It is time consuming.
Its almost an impossibility, having a ration that has long shelf life, requires zero prep, has a decent amount of calories and nutrition, and is cost effective to buy in bulk.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.