Survival books

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Biscuitsjam, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Morris

Morris CLM

"There is a new crisis in the Middle East. A report from Beirut, via Cairo, says that Syrian tanks of the most modern Russian design have crossed the Jordanian frontier. This is undoubtedly a threat to Israel. At the same time Damascus charges that Turkish troops are mobilizing . . . "

Chapter 1. Oddly familiar considering it was written in 1959.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  2. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

In the last Month, I have read Alas, Babylon, One Second After and One Year After. Here are some themes that we throw around here that resonate in all three books.

• Neighborhood | Community cooperatives allow the suburban and rural masses to survive.
    • Truly rural and isolated preppers with sustainable food sources survived better than those in the cooperative.
    • Despite the debate of which one, firearms played a big role when available. They were a lucrative commodity.
    • Long term water purification was also critical.
    • EMP will fry everything. If it doesn't the power will probably still go out due to lack of maintenance, nuclear destruction etc.
    • Sustainable food sources are critical. Not frozen chickens to eat, but breeding chickens to lay eggs and make other chickens. Have enough stored to live on til the animals breed and the crops sprout.
    • Mid-evil gangs will form, pray on the emotionally weak and hunt whatever they need.
    • Never forget that we are Americans. With that comes the moral fiber to maintain a certain degree of acceptable behavior. Send away a hungry family if you want. Just don't eat them.
    • Medical supplies, especially antibiotics are key.
    What did I miss?

3. WT

WT Millennium Member

We Remained: Three Years Behind Enemy Lines in the Philippines by LtCol R.W. Volckmann, USA.

The real deal as experienced by one who could be considered the Father of US Army Special Forces.
    Bug out bags, E&E, starting a resistance movement, commo, supplies, training, jungle warfare, medicine, dealing with informants .... everything needed to SURVIVE.

4. WT

WT Millennium Member

Stalin's Guerillas: Soviet Partisans in World War II by Kenneth Slepyan.

Fighting and surviving behind enemy lines for years on end. Includes serious discussion on involvement of women and children in the partisan movement. Also psychology of partisan survival.

Very grim reading.

5. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Stepping down to the gin palace

I will have to look at that one. Women and children will always be a part of war as much as we dont like it.

6. tc556guy

tc556guy

Keep in mind that two of the three books you cite are written by the same guy and set in the same universe as each other, so of course they'll share similar themes and outlooks.

I don't agree that isolated lone wolves will do better in the long run.

Better to have something and not need it than the reverse. It makes sense that in any scenario after the JIT supply system breaks down, any replacement will need to be essentially self-sustaining. of course, no system is truly self-sustaining, so we will always need to have a support network of some sort.....

While works of fiction give us things to think about as far as a particular scenario, after decades of reading PAW fiction I ultimately see some stuff in PAW fiction that is used as a reason to advance the story line. No one agrees, for instance, exactly what the actual effects of EMP will be on society. Of course most works of fiction that use EMP as part of the plot tend to advance the worst case scenario in order to advance the storyline.

7. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

The One Second After and One Year After are interesting and thought provoking books. I somewhat think that the author tends to overlook several key things that he is apparently not aware of.

1. Communications. I know many ham radio operators who are the original tech nerds. Despite EMP they will have communication nets up within hours. Many, and I mean many have alternative power sources. It is quite common for them to stash extra and/or older (but good and serviceable) radios and equipment in protected environments i.e, Farady cages.

2. Pharmaceuticals...there is a national program to stockpile drugs in different regions around the country. In addition, pharma companies have their own stockpiles and some companies like the large grocery chains (Walmart, Meijer etc) have their own regional stockpiles as well, usually in their distribution centers.

3. EMP effect on cars, I think the authors idea that all vehicles will be knocked out is highly exaggerated. The feds studied EMP on vehicles and only about 20% of vehicles were knocked out. In some cases the vehicles stopped running but were able to be restarted after some minutes.

4. Transportation/Distribution Systems....I think the author underestimates the ability of large organizations (military, corporations etc) to handle logistics. Yes, a lot of systems will go down, but every large company as well as the military has an army of engineers and guys who job it is to fix stuff and get things moving again. It may take awhile (weeks) but not a year to get things up and running again.

I do think that in a situation where law and order break down preexisting organizations like drug gangs, biker gangs etc will have an advantage over regular people. First, they have numbers. Second, they are already organized even if only loosely. Third, they have a preexisting command structure/hierarchy, i.e, somebody is already in charge. Forth, they are heavily armed.

It would be a likely scenario that these gangs would go after the liquor stores, pharmacies, gun stores (including any retail stores that sell guns and ammo like Walmart and sports stores), and large retailers for food, clothes etc. It would make more sense for them to seize and control commodities than to go around raiding houses and stuff. Once they control the things people want/need they can set up a black market and control everything.

8. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Griffins Gen "Fertig".'08.

9. whyfliers

whyfliers

Always interested in thia kind of topic, thanks for sharing

10. pudly

pudly

An old thread, but it has given me some items to add to my reading list. Thanks!

11. MSP Sarge

MSP Sarge

I just listened to One Second After on youtube. Really made me think. I have a lil work to do.

12. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

There are two more books in the series if you enjoyed it.

MSP Sarge likes this.
  13. MSP Sarge

MSP Sarge

What are they? I am new to the survival book thing.

14. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

One Year After

The Final Day

Don't know if they are on Youtube as I've got them on my Kindle.

MSP Sarge likes this.
  15. recon

recon Millennium Member

16. lololist012

lololist012

The "100 Deadly Skills" book is pretty comprehensive.

17. Grayson

Grayson

Anyone get FerFal's new book yet? Mine should be here shortly.

18. recon

recon Millennium Member

Which new book?

19. Grayson

Grayson