Survival books

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Biscuitsjam, Dec 19, 2006.

1. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

most of the links appear to be dead.

2. tc556guy

tc556guy

Interesting, because they were working when I posted the link. Wonder what happened.
    edit: I emailed the site owner asking what happened. He is switching his data over to a new server. The links should be good again soon.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009

3. doby

doby

Don Paul is hilarious! What, no SURVIVAL GUNS by Mel Tappan? Just do the reverse of what Mel suggests, and you will be way ahead of nearly everyone. To comply with Mel's suggestions today would take 1/4 million $! Buy a ranch in a remote area, my butt!

4. jayman907

jayman907

5. KBoyd

KBoyd

I read Terrawatt by Des Michaels, 77 Days in September by Ray Gorham, and What So Proudly We Hailed by James Howard over the past week and a half. All three were good reads.
    Terrawatt has some grammar and spelling issues but the story line is good until the very end. I hope there is a sequel but I guess we will have to wait and see.

What So Proudly We Hailed - Definitely a faith based book, which might be all we have to hold onto in uncertain times. Based in south east US along the coast so a little different than most of the others I have read that take place in the midwest. I think it was .99 on Amazon.

77 Days in September was probably the best one out of the three. It was very well written and the ending wrapped everything up so you did not really wonder about any of the characters.

6. BudMan5

BudMan5

There was recently an online novel written on the survivakistboards, "Going Home":

Going Home

It was VERY popular (over 543,000 views to date). It is now going to a publisher but you can follow the link and still read it.

Basically about a husband/father that is several hundredf miles from home in florida when a CME evenbt occurs and fries everything. He has a BOB and the story is about what he encounters on the way home.

It is very impressive first work by what will become a very popular author.

7. TX expat

TX expat

I just finished The Jakarta Pandemic by Steven Konkoly.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Jakarta-Pandemic-Steven-Konkoly/dp/1456309501/ref=lp_B0047MCYNI_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335969556&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: The Jakarta Pandemic (9781456309503): Steven Konkoly: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51KtUgGYabL[/ame]

I really enjoyed it and I would recommend it without hesitation.

It's about a flu pandemic and how one family, and one neighborhood, survives the myriad challenges that encompass a society ravaged by disease, hunger and a breakdown of infrastructure.

8. quake

quake Millennium Member

I also liked the Jakarta Pandemic, but I can't say 'without hesitation' or at least 'without reservation'. Liked it, the guy prepped very well, but kept doing things that seem irrational; mostly having to do with hesitation - or over-optimism - when dealing with ugliness.

Has a mossberg 590; fine shotgun choice imo. But when going out to respond to a frantic phone call at night from a neighbor about guys breaking into their basement, he loads it with three rounds - putting spare rounds in his pocket instead of in the tube - since he really shouldn't need more than that.

Repeatedly being directly threatened ("next time you won't hear us coming", etc) by the main predator of the book, yet not willing to take action 'yet'.

Things like that annoyed me, but I still would absolutely recommend it as an overall good read.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  9. meshmdz

meshmdz OBAMA 2012

lots of good survival apps on the iStore so you can buy them on your iDevice. i have a few on my iPhone.

10. Tazz10m

Tazz10m Mod Aerator Moderator Millennium Member

Dude! Great book! I've read that! That guy was my NEIGHBOR here in Washington! Everyone should read that book!

Another good book my Godparents gave me as a kid is "Survival With Style".

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  11. quake

quake Millennium Member

I finished "Above Reproach" by J.D. Kinman this past weekend. It was recommended by LongGun1 and was pretty good.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Above-Reproach-J-D-Kinman/dp/1475223315/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371576836&sr=8-1&keywords=above+reproach"]Above Reproach: J.D. Kinman: 9781475223316: Amazon.com: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51orVi3gdrL[/ame]

Typical story of Jihadists in the USA. Unrealistic to some extent at times, largely concerning coincidences of characters' interactions and happening to be in a 'the right place' on occasion, but overall pretty good.

12. Josh B

Josh B

Hi All,

I just bought the latest very of The Survival Medicine Handbook. It;s a big book! It has great information on grid-down type of medical scenarios. It also has a good section on herbal medications.
    I'd recommend it for your library.

13. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

http://sf.arpnic.net/

I had been looking for these for a while and just refound the website.

14. quake

quake Millennium Member

Recently read Cody Lundin's "When All Hell Breaks Loose". Pretty good, with the caveat that the first third of the book or so is really like reading an Earl Nightingale book more than a typical prep-how-to book. Not a bad thing inherently - I'm a Nightingale fan - it just surprised me.

Never saw whatever show that was (Dual Survival?) that Lundin was on, and never read anything else of his, but overall this was pretty good.

$7.39 kindle & $12-something physical version:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/When-All-Hell-Breaks-Loose-ebook/dp/B00B08XOTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394161938&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need to Survive When Disaster Strikes (NONE) eBook: Cody Lundin, Russell L. Miller, Christopher Marchetti: Kindle [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51qhnzCXt5L[/ame]

15. dedron

dedron

Get it from amazon, not paladin, save $5. The Mini14 and .45 can books are good info, too. Your library can probably get them as interlibrary book loans, if you're willing to put your name on such an interest. :) Might be able to get them as an E book, too.

16. Swampfox762

Swampfox762

Lot of interesting books and subjects here. Wealth of Info.:cool:

I got a book back in 72 called "The Foxfire Book".

Hog Dressing, Log Cabin Building, Mountain Crafts and Foods, Planting by the Signs, Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing, Moonshining, and Other Affairs of Plain Living

I still have the original. I've read it thru quite a few times.
    Now they have like....a whole series, 12 Books!!
    Anybody else ever read any of them?

17. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Stepping down to the gin palace

I was a frequent reader of those Foxfire books when I was a boy. They had lots of neat things to make and do. I would like to read them again as an adult with a mind towards SP.

18. TheGunPunch

TheGunPunch

19. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Alas, Babylon, just started it on my Kindle