close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Survey of interest in serial # archival for gun owners

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by Got_Glocks, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Got_Glocks

Got_Glocks

I wondering if there is any interest by gun owners, in a service that would photograph and catalog complete lists serial #'s or use the owners' photographs to list the serials, for use in aiding the owner, the police, and insurance companies in the event of a person's guns being stolen.
    The final product for my clients would be both a printed hard copy, and a digital copy (cd-rom form) of a list and photographs of an owners firearms, the relevant serial #'s, and modifications and the same for any accessories the owner wishes. I'm also interested in the GT'ers opinions as to what you'd like to see in such a product, and what you thing you'd pay for said service.
    Note that my posting of this business idea constitutes a copyright of said product, and if you rip off my idea, I will sue your butt! j/k...no, really I'll sue!
    Thanks to all of the GT'ers for your help.

2. Got_Glocks

Got_Glocks

I should also mention that all information collected on any potential clients would of course be kept completely confidential, and I'd have the option to have any copies of a clients records be completely destroyed and removed my my computers, rather than archiving them in case the clients wants copies in the future.
    Thanks Again
    Brian

3. aleffert

aleffert

Sounds like a potentially good service. Not sure how much I would pay for it. I personally bought a bound book and keep track of all my serial numbers, identifying marks, and description of the gun. What about if someone where to add or get rid of some of their guns? Would there be a charge for altering the record? Good idea though. Keep me posted of your progress.

4. Got_Glocks

Got_Glocks

Apparently I didn't anticipate peoples' reluctance to have anyone else know the information on their firearms, I'm suprised this thread has been online for a week with almost no responses. The book is a great idea. I've been trying to come up with a way to answer this problem. The book seems to be the trick. If I decide to take my idea to market, I'm sure that I'd make accomodations for previous clients to add any new items at a minimum cost, or maybe work out a future purchases plan. I will work out more details, but it would be far easier with more feedback from my fellow glockers. Thanks

Brian

5. Dr P

Dr P

What is the difference between registering guns with Big Brother and performing the same act with you? Software that is only loaded in the users PC and requires that the individual maintain there own info seems far less ominous. Of course the low tech notebook method already mentioned seems to work just fine. Gun owners are not just being paranoid. There are those that want to confiscate our guns. Why help?

6. Got_Glocks

Got_Glocks

Apparently, Dr. P, not only are you paranoid, but you have poor reading comprehension skills. The service I proposed was not for gun onwers (of which I am one) to register their weapons with me (or any other organization), but for owners to be respsonsible by having a comprehensive list of their firearms, relevant serial numbers, for aiding the gun owners, the police, and insurance companies in either recovery of said firearms, or the compensation for loss of said firearms. I hope this idea is not above your head.
    I was simply trying to come up with a way to help my fellow gun owners, and try to make a little extra money with the talents that I have in information technology.
    Apparently, like the pet rock and the thigh master, my idea doesn't have legs, and I will consider this whole excercise as moot.
    I will however encourage other gun owners to be resposible with their weapons, and get yourself a little notebook and write your stuff down!

7. aleffert

aleffert

Do not consider it moot. I think it would be a great service. Maybe you could do some macros with excel or something, so that it is very user friendly. Then copyright the forms and sell the program on a CD-ROM to be sold, that way they can input their own information and print out a list or something. Just an idea. Keep working on it.

8. Dr P

Dr P

Since my reading comprehension skills were questioned I reread your original post. I asked others to read it. My original post was prompted by your request for input. Don't ask for input and then attack anyone who responds with any criticism. I still see dangerous possibilities with your idea. When you wrote "photograph + catalog complete lists + serial #'s" I understood that to mean collecting information about other gun owners collections. If the Federal Government proposed that a "catalog" of guns and owners be created how would you respond? You also stated that "posting of this business idea constitutes a copyright of said product" and threatened to sue anyone who stole your idea. Well Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and most recently the English Government may have some problem with your "original" concept. After creating the "catalog" of guns and owners they went the next step and confiscated those guns. Tell the millions of people who have died because they could not defend themselves they were paranoid. The problem is this may be above your head.

9. Got_Glocks

Got_Glocks

Ok, the lack of any sense of humor in this forum is apparent. I have no interest in "collecting" any information on any gun owners. Not to mention that my comment on sueing anyone who copies my idea, has nothing whatsoever to do with your comments about Mao and Hitler, Dr. P. Anyway,let's not fight about it. Also thank you, aleffert, for your comments, and I will continue to try to come up with something that will serve all gun owners well. Nuff said.