GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Private side
11,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helping move some stuff from a storage shed and noticed a pair of my long rifle cases in a corner. The family owning the stuff, while not anti gun, have never really mentioned them.

The matriarch is 88; the recently passed patriarch was 90. Well the daughter (60) said the mother wanted me to take the guns. It was only a single shot NEF .410 and a Sears Model 3T (Winchester 190) but both are in great shape. Apparently they belonged to the father’s father.

There’s supposed to be a pistol “wrapped in a towel in one of the suitcases” that they will get to me when they find it. Apparently it was the father’s gun “when he was in the army” (1950s).

Two things- 1, I’m like a kid at Christmas wondering what the pistol is and 2, I’m Godfather to one of their grandkids and I’m the one going to teach her to shoot. I think it’ll be neat to teach her with her great-grandpa’s guns.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Great score! My first gun was a Winchester 190 .22 rifle and it shot lights out. Never found a .22 I could shoot better. That little .410 would make an incredible turkey gun with some TSS loaded up for it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
That is pretty neat! I had a 190 myself, back in the early '70s. Have no idea why I sold it. I think I was trying to save up for a Marlin 39. Sadly, that never happened, and I wish I had the 190 back.

·
AAAMAD
30,432 Posts
Have both of those from my dad.

You should cut that shotgun in half, burn both stocks and weld the remains into yard art.

I swear that shotgun is the reason I have a flinch to this day.

Great find, and a good plan

·
Private side
11,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The scope on the .22 is a Sears brand; fixed 4x I think, I’ll check it closer when I clean them.

·
Private side
11,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have both of those from my dad.

You should cut that shotgun in half, burn both stocks and weld the remains into yard art.

I swear that shotgun is the reason I have a flinch to this day.

Great find, and a good plan
I still have the H&R my dad gave me when I was 10 or so. I gave my brother one when he turned 13 or so (our dad died in 87 when my youngest brother was 11) since I thought he should have one. He died (38) in 2014 and now his son (10) has it.

Reactions: AK_Stick

·
Private side
11,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great score! My first gun was a Winchester 190 .22 rifle and it shot lights out. Never found a .22 I could shoot better. That little .410 would make an incredible turkey gun with some TSS loaded up for it.
The .22 ought to hold about seventy-eleven shorts.

·
Venor ergo sum
3,312 Posts
Start a poll on the handgun. Put me down for a Smith M&P .38

I bought one at an estate auction about ten years ago. It originally shipped in 1965, had maybe a box of ammo through it. Must have spent decades in the gentleman's sock drawer. Tightest lock up of any of my Smith revolvers.

·
bene vivere
1,783 Posts
The .22 ought to hold about seventy-eleven shorts.
As a young man, I hunted cottontails with my Grandpappy's Winchester 190 .22 rifle loaded with Winchester Super X .22 shorts. We ate plenty of roasted cottontails one winter.

Reactions: IAhunter

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Have the same setup from my Dad's passing, except the shotgun is in 16 gauge. The 22 runs very well.

I wonder how much in today's dollars Ted Williams contract with Sears was worth. His name was on every item of sporting goods Sears sold for a loooong time. :)

·
Registered
19,529 Posts
Nice to see them live on. I have my grandfather's and great grandfather's guns. I don't have any kids so they will go to my nephews when I kick the bucket

·
Registered
6,260 Posts
Nice score. I have a couple of old .410s and a 12 gauge double from my dad. Be sure to let us know about the pistol when you get it.

·
98.SiG and Rising!
722 Posts
It is good that they picked the right person to give them to, someone who will appreciate them and help the next generation of firearms enthusiast! Both are excellent, a .410 is a fantastic little shooter. They look like new!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts