1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
finishes it...
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8,928 Posts
Poor shark is probably still trying to get the taste of wetsuit out of its mouth.

Seriously though, an unfortunate and no doubt unpleasant way to go out. From the article, sounds like he was a good guy.

Condolences to his loved ones.

·
Mentally Frozen
28,407 Posts
Those sharks don't adhere to social distancing. Newsom gonna be pissed.

·
NRA Life Member
29,332 Posts
If you look like food; you might get eaten one day.

·
NRA Life Member
29,332 Posts
Right there with you. No cruises, no beach outings, no nothing within a mile of sharks.

Reactions: AGF0526

·
Registered
30,109 Posts
My brother used to do a lot of diving in that general area. He saw his fair share of GW sharks over time while he was underwater, and even bounced off one he hadn't seen as he was coming up off the bottom (Halibut fishing). That one was later reported by other sightings to only be an approx 16' GW, but he said as he glanced off it and it continued to go by him, it had seemed a lot longer (at that close range). ;)

I just kept telling him that as long as he was diving in that part of the ocean, he was "on the menu".

·
I feel pretty.
3,943 Posts
Actually, divers are rarely bothered by sharks. We're obviously not food.

Clear water is safe water. Murky, silty, or brackish water is dangerous water. Guess which kind surfers spend all of their time in?

Blacktips, Silkies, and Caribbean Reef sharks are actually quite friendly. As are Eagle Rays, Mobula rays, and brown sting rays.

·
Registered
30,109 Posts
My bother kept telling me he didn't worry too much about the GW's while he was diving and far under the water, cruising the bottom looking for halibut. He told me that it was only while swimming out and back at the surface that he felt exposed to risk of being attacked, when he was near the churning surface and surf line. Once he got on the bottom he said he wasn't at the same risk.

I told him that as long as the sharks had the same understanding, that was cool.

He said he'd watched a nearby (to him) seal on the surface get taken by a GW once, and immediately went to the bottom to stay there until the shark was gone. He loved it. He did bring me a lot of Halibut.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts