close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Surf fishing St.Simons Island,GA.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Dogbite, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

Hey guys,im going to be down in St Simons island next week and plan on doing some surf fishing,and pier type fishing.Has anyone fished in the surf or pier there?? Anybody know whats running right now??

2. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Probably good catches of Coney Island Whitefish, hehe. ;f

3. NoVAlooker

NoVAlooker What Me Worry

We go to St. simons every summer to visit some of my wife's relatives (they've lived there for at least 150 years). I've never fished from the pier, so I couldn't tell you whats running now, but I do know they have some shark pulleys on it and that people regularly catch decent sized sharks off of it.

4. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

Hey--just got back from St Simons--caught 3 sharks,2 southern stingrays,some whiting,and a very ugly toad looking type fish.They were all caught in the surf,or off a tiny pier at the end of the island.We had a great time!!

5. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

What kind and what size sharks did you catch? Did you eat them?

I have eaten shark before, and I really liked it. I am hoping to take salmon shark charter next summer in Alaska. I have always wanted to catch a shark, and at 300-500 pounds and up to 6-8 feet long, salmon shark fishing sounds like quite a challenge.

6. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

"visit some of my wife's relatives (they've lived there for at least 150 years)...."

Your wife has some really old relatives. Are they in the Guiness Book of Records?

FWIW, my second ex-wife is spending the 4th on St. Simons Island. Maybe one of you lucky dogs will catch her!

7. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

I was scrolling down and reading the posts, and saw NoVAlooker say his wifes relatives lived down there for 150 years, and was going to say "Aren't they a little old to be fishing?" Walter beat me to it. Good one. My brother Alex, who lives in Greensboro, NC, visits there almost every year. Came home with a T-shirt this year with some fish on it and St. Simons Island written across it. I asked him about it and he went into detail about how nice it is. Have fun and stay safe.

8. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

Hey dan,The sharks were very small,caught one about the lenth of my arm,black tip,fought like crazy and jumped like a tarpon.I could not even imagine how a 12 foot shark would fight!!!I have eaten shark before, but did not eat these.I took pictures of all the fish,then sent them back to the deep..

9. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I personally despise St. Simons Island, but lots of folks obviously disagree with my opinion. Dirty beaches; horrible, stinging, biting fly problem; etc., etc. Cousin of mine (orthodontist) lives there, and one of my old friends (gen. surgeon) also lives there. If you guys need some straight teeth or serious cutting, just let me know.

10. NoVAlooker

NoVAlooker What Me Worry

I tend to like it quite a bit ... the beach isn't dirty, is just not very long. But, I usually end up Kayaking or playing golf (the island is home to the #2 or 3 golf course in the world - behind Pine Valley in southern Jersey and St. Andrews in Scotland) so thats not too much of a problem. I do know all about the biting may fly problem, and I discovered last year they are RELLY attracted to Bullfrog brand sunscreen. But, it is a refreshing taste of what the low country barrier islands used to be (though it is changing quickly).

As for her relatives ... no, they arent 150 years old. The oldest (her great aunt) is about 95. She was married, at one time many decades ago, to the son of a real life pirate (of Spanish descent, his son was somewhat older than my wife's Aunt) who hid there after he Civil War. She's got some neat family heirlooms as a result. A branch of my wife's family set out for the island from Macon around the same time. Don't know more than that. But we do go down all the time.

There's a neat little gun shop called the Second Amendment at the marina. They sell real cool stainless marine AR15s. In keep with the places swashbuckling heritage, its right next to a very popular bar ... though I don't think people mix the two so often anymore.

On another historical note though, the marsh between the main island and the beach is called the Bloody Marsh. It was there that the English from the North met the Spanish who had colonized Florida from the South. The ambush by the English so devasted the spanish soldiers that the color of the Marsh was red for some time, and the Spanish were permenantly driven out of Georgia.

11. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

Okay Walter, thanks, I'll keep that in mind;i. I have a buddy who's a dog groomer, if you're not satisfied with Peppers guy, let me know!;f ;f ;f

12. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

Novalooker--I went in that gun shop!!!heheh