Surefire hardware Q.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by blueiron, Jan 11, 2010.

1. blueiron

blueiron

Does anyone have any feedback on the Surefire 500A weaponlight for the M4?

I don't really want a railed forend and I am not crazy about the 900/910 vertical grip.

The use will be for a HD rifle.

2. groovyash

groovyash

The very first batch of 6933s we had were equipped with the 500As. The plus side is they will fit in most car racks and they are very sturdy components minus the lamp. The down side is that they are heavy compared to many other light solutions, the incandescent bulb is sup par for current technology, and like more fragile than an LED. Surefire is supposedly working on a 500a LED but I don't believe it's out yet, and quite honestly the weight would probably put me off anyways. FWIW the 900/910 are also pretty heavy.

3. blueiron

blueiron

Weight isn't a concern since it is a HD rifle only.

Any recommendations I should consider?

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

I've had one for years on a 6721. It's not a daily use rifle anymore, but I've run the gun/light through several formal classes and a bunch of shooting.

It works.

I don't like the little navigation LEDs---they don't seem to fit any need I have. Plenty bright, and I'm still on my first lamp assembly. I've heard that they can go out if jarred while hot, but haven't seen it.

A little fatter than even the M4 handguards, and much fatter than something link a SIR with ladders. I found the plastic a little slick with gloves, but nothing to write home about.

Initial installation required a hammer (okay, a rubber mallet). That was covered in SF's instructions, and apparently they were right on about the tight fit. I don't remember the last time that I removed it.

Battery life is excellent, probably a little longer than advertised.

If you don't plan on mounting/unmounting a bunch of stuff that needs rail space, it's a good choice.

5. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

We have them on all of our patrol rifles. If you are not into VFG or rails I think they are a great choice.

They are durable, have a decent battery life, and are easy to operate.

6. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Check your pm blueiron

7. i8547

i8547 Without Equal

For HD, you probably will be fine. I have one on my M4 @ work and routinely have to replace the bulbs every other month it seems. But as a Border Patrol Agent, I am constantly in the brush, hiking trails, climbing rocks etc., thus banging it up a lot. The same goes with driving a 4x4 over rough terrain with it in the vehicle rack. So your mileage will definitely vary.

8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Tried it out once... found it worked for what it was supposed to do, but man it's expensive and bulky, compared to other options, but if you don't want rails or a VFG light, this is pretty much your only game unless you want to barrel clamp a mini-mag like those Marines did in "The Rock".

9. ottomatic

ottomatic

We have them on our patrol rifles, and the bulbs go out frequently. My first bulb lasted FOUR ROUNDS!!! The replacement cost is over $20.

There are several good options out there for MUCH less money. One is an auxiliary rail on the bottom of your handguards with a handgrip mount or one of the mounts that go on near the front sight then add an LED light such as the Fenix TK11. Typical total cost is $90-120, with BETTER light quality than the Surefire.

10. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

This is what I had before I went with full handguard rails.

CAA M4 mount, clamps on to the front sight and provides 3 rails on each side to clip a M3 or M6 or TLR light. Cheaper than the M500 for sure.

http://www.botachtactical.com/caam4frsimod.html

If you hate rails, period... there's one that's similar to this and also clamps onto the front sight but has a protrusion that comes out under it which holds a 1" light. Can't find it at the moment.

11. blueiron

blueiron

Sorry, but not one cent of my money goes to ******bag [Botach] Tactical under any circumstance.

One bad episode was enough.

12. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

CAA (Command Arms Accessories) are sold at a lot of places... that's just where I found it online to show you how I had mine set up before I went with full rails. I think I paid $25 for it and clipped on the M3 light that I had sitting around after I switched to the M6.

13. OLY-M4gery

OLY-M4gery

I have an M500A. I like it. I'm left handed so it is mounted "upside down" for me.

The beam quality could be better, but it puts out a good amount of light, and the beam is wide enough to illuminate a person fully, even at room lenght ranges.

Mine is pre-led nav lights.

I paid $250 for it.

14. groovyash

groovyash

Yep. I know you're not a rail fan but I would get a set of DS416 rails from Doublestar for $139 and if on a budget mount a TLR1 which can be picked up for $99. Cheap, sturdy, super light setup that will light up a room without blinding your and have enough throw to still be used in an outdoor situation. If budget allows a Surefire X300 or even the new M300a would be an improvement on this setup. A Viking Tactics Offset mount and you're choice of light would be another good budget effective way to go.

Alternatively Magpul MOE with a single piece of rail installed where you want the light mounted is a great cheap setup as well and would avoid the use of rails for you.

I personally don't care for the front sight tower light mounts, though many like them, Although they put the light in good position, I've never been happy with the balance effect they have. YMMV

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  15. THELimey

THELimey Ancient Member

16. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

This is what I was talking about... couldn't find it earlier.

[​IMG]

17. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

I've used one on my issued M4 for several years, still on the original bulb.

You can screw the giant head off/take the battery cartridge out out and screw on the little cap they come with; much lighter for a day at the range and prolongs the bulb's life (I assume).

I like the set up; little big/heavy, but bright as hell.

18. faceplant

faceplant

Holy crap that is expensive. I vote front site tower mount with TLR-1.

19. ottomatic

ottomatic

The new TLR1 is VERY bright and small. And under $100