Suprising Results From by Recent Shooting Day...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by MacG22, Jan 10, 2010.

1. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

About every year or two, I undertake a little exercise I was taught a while ago. I take a few different types of targets (SD sillouete, general target, etc) and I set up groups with each gun I own. At the end of the day, I compare them and determine how I'm shooting my carry guns. I try to get a composite picture I can compare side by side.

I only shoot one target with each gun where I take my time, line up the shot, and shoot for center of target (like a lot of range shooting). I do that to make sure I'm using proper form and am accurate enough with the gun at a base, controlled level.

After that, I follow this pattern and then repeat for each platform for comparison:

1. I shoot the base target with slow "range form".

2. I then put the target at SD range (7 to 10 yards) and get behind a cover that simulates my shooting conditions in our home. For me, it's the edge of my shed that is by my range (we have a lot of open land here and I've put together a little home range). I put the cover on my "weak side" so I have to move a lot to line up the shot. I shoot one full magazine, and I do so quickly (use a timer). Step out and double tap target; step back in, step out and double tap target, etc.

3. Then I put a much smaller target out, using with the visual hit indicators, and I do the same drill. Just a smaller hit radius.

4. Then I put out a silhouette target. I put it at SD range (10 yards) and time it, again for very fast double tap. I use a lot more "point shooting" with this due to the speed and see what sort of groups I get.

5. In general I find I'm really good with "range target" shooting. Really tight groups. One ragged hole with some of these. But I'm, at best, a center of mass type shooter with timed double tap drills at 10 yards. Definitely an area to practice with more. Slow it down a little and I do much better. But with serious speed I'm "SD center of mass" at best. It'll be a fun project to put some time into.

So that's the drill. Before my safe was stolen (discussed in other threads) this drill took me a full day on the range. Literally. Now it takes much less time. But I wanted to see how I did, this year, with my different potential carry guns--at least the selection I was left with-- and some of these guns I hadn't shot in a while outside of standard testing, cleaning, etc. My two guns that I carried for the last few years were taken in the theft (a Colt New Agent 1911 and a Walther PPS) and I wanted to see which I wanted to replace them with. Here's the group I shot yesterday:

[​IMG]

The HK45 I didn't count in these because I shoot it the most and am just dead accurate with it. But I don't carry it as much because it's a much bigger gun.

Here are the final targets:

[​IMG]

From left to right I put them in the order I was the most accurate with, in combination with still shot, quick follow ups, and point shooting (composite):

1. G22
    2. SW 642 snub, 38spl
    3. HK USP 40c
    4. XD 40sc
    5. Ruger SP101, 357mag.

CONCLUSIONS:

Here is some of what surprised me:

1. When I take my time, I'm very accurate with the compact and sub compact barrels on the 40s. But in double tap stuff I'm terrible. I never lost a shot off the paper, but the group is horrendous. With my G22 and the HK45 the groups aren't tight like I would want, but they're very consistent. With the 3 inch barrel... not so much. Really makes a difference for me in quick shooting. Point taken.

2. Though it had the longest barrel, the G22 was excellent for me in all phases. I went VERY fast with it, to try and compensate, and it was still better than the other. Point shooting was extremely natural, but that's mostly isosceles stance which is where the Glock grip angle shines for me.

3. The second most accurate gun for me? The SW 642 38 snub. Had no idea. When I took my time on the shots, it wasn't my most accurate (don't shoot revolvers much plus the small sight radius is a big deal). But in quick firing and point shooting... it was excellent. Completely surprised me.

4. The Ruger SP101 was my worst. Even taking my time I couldn't get a good group. I almost never shoot it, and I need to change that. I'm an auto guy. No surprise there. But the .357 round just mauled the cardboard target. Same distances as all the others, but it ripped it to pieces (as you can see). That was sort of reassuring. Love the 357 round.

5. My first double tap set was almost one on bullseye or right next to it. But by the end when I was really speeding up to beat the timer the groups completely fell apart. Point taken. If I ever have to use a pistol for SD, I need to be very conscious to get my speed from being calm and methodical, not by forcing it. Because I'll shoot much better if I do.

All in all, a fun day. Cold as hell and not my best targets but considering conditions and the really demanding time limits and style I allowed myself I feel confident in the center of mass efficacy of my carry guns. Really I should do it more because I obviously need the training, and further, it was a lot more fun than the stiff, slow range shooting I'll fallen into a rut with.

2. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Nice write up, thanks.

3. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

FWIW, Mac... a good friend that's a medic never fails to point out that he'd rather deal with two wounds in the same spot than two wounds in a different spot. I'm sure he'd tell me that almost any of these would be "combat effective" hits. Looks like dead bad guys to me.

Always good to do some practical shooting. Let me know if the soil of your home range is lead deficient. :supergrin:

4. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Agreed. I'd just like to be a little better at putting them where I want them. But I'm not too picky if I can get stuff on paper.

Definitely need to have you down some time. Only a few hours from Denver, and I'm up there all the time for business.