Supreme Court rules against clerk in gay marriage case

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by DonCT, Aug 31, 2015.

1. DonCT

DonCT

"MOREHEAD, Ky. (AP) — The Supreme Court on Monday ruled against the Kentucky county clerk who has refused to issue same-sex marriage licenses, and the clerk will arrive at work Tuesday morning to face her moment of truth. Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis will have to choose whether to issue marriage licenses, defying her Christian conviction, or continue to refuse them, defying a federal judge who could pummel her with fines or order that she be hauled off to jail."

http://news.yahoo.com/reckoning-nears-clerk-resisting-same-sex-marriage-ruling-202230268.html

2. Dave514

Dave514

If you're going to ride stupid this far, don't pull up short, honey!

3. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

About damn time. These people need to understand their bigotry will not be tolerated. You can't be in a position of government and force your view of morality on others.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. Dave514

Dave514

(heading off the obvious)
    But, but, but...that's what the police do!! They are in a position of government and force people to not murder!!! Their morality stops murder!!! They are forcing their view on morality about murder!!! The Bible says thou shall not murder!!! Religious tolerance.... why don't you have any?

(to which..)
    Job Description. Cops stop murder. Clerks hand out licenses. Religious tolerance...?. Oh, to discriminate and NOT be tolerant of others.... on top of not doing your job.... Buuuh Bye.

5. NMG26

NMG26

MOREHEAD KY!

6. DonCT

DonCT

There's also a Big Bone Lick state park in Kentucky. Bunch o pervs.

7. Dave514

Dave514

She hasn't been giving out any marriage licenses to anyone, straight or gay, so she doesn't have to "discriminate".

8. tattooo

tattooo

So she needs to be replaced by someone who will do the job they are paid to do.

Koba and Dave514 like this.
  9. Dave514

Dave514

Well, she's going all the way with it. She's already turned gay people away this morning and refused to give them a marriage license.

10. F_G

F_G

Is she in an elected position or was she hired to the position? Some County Clerks are elected, my Aunt was a County Clerk in Kansas for over 30 years. I think she won like 8 elections.

I guess my question is, what does her constituency think? Which direction do they lean?

11. GlockViking

GlockViking

While cashing a State employees paycheck...religion does not come into play when you are executing governmental duties.

Dave514 and tattooo like this.
  12. Geko45

Yes, I'm sure there are some here that will propose thinking like this. My response is as follows, the police are not there to enforce morality. True, many laws against murder and theft do cover moral issues, but that is not why those laws exist. Laws exist to prevent one person from infringing upon the rights of another and that is the true mission of the police (to protects our rights). So, it is not the place of government to enforce a specific moral code on everyone (police, county clerk, whatever), but rather to prevent each other from undue interference in each others life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

Dave514 likes this.
  13. Geko45

I'll just add to the conversation (and I know most of you agree with this) that as a county clerk she took an oath to faithfully execute the duties of her office to the best of her ability. So, her religious beliefs are moot, her refusal to issue any licenses at all is an unacceptable dodge, and whether she was elected or appointed is irrelevant. If her conscience doesn't allow her to perform her duties then resignation is the only honest option available to her, but she hasn't done that. Instead, she has continued to occupy her office while steadfastly refusing to perform the duties assigned to it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    tattooo likes this.
  14. tattooo

tattooo

You hit it on the head !

15. JMag

JMag

There has never been a wall of separation between church and state, only there is no state religion...regardless of progressive interpretation.

Plus, in short, there is no law requiring the workplace to be a religion-free zone.

Stay tuned...this is far from over.

16. Dave514

Dave514

When the voting majority becomes a religion other than Christianity......I'll save you a seat at the table. County clerks will still have to hand out marriage licenses despite their religion, even if they are licenses to Christians.

17. Geko45

Hardly a progressive interpretation. Thomas Jefferson wrote (Jan 1, 1802):

First off, you're wrong about laws regarding religion in the workplace, but even if you weren't this is a Fourteenth Amendment issue. This is no ordinary workplace. It is a government office and the county clerk is the duly appointed representative of the local government. The Fourteenth Amendment requires her to extend equal protection under the law to everyone.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  18. Kentak

Kentak

Apparently the godly clerk has been divorced three times and is now on marriage number four. Seems she got knocked up by future husband no. 3 before divorcing no. 1. Got no. 2 to adopt the twins. Divorced him and married the father. Divorced him and is now on no. 4.

Don't Christians frown on divorce and adultery?

19. Dave514

Dave514

20. DAKA

DAKA

Paid to do a job....$80,000 a year.....outrageous ....but refuses to do it, I really hope they JAIL the *****...OH it's Kentucky, hmmmm...
    (Geezze....the word I used to describe the "female" was changed to ***** )