Supreme Court lets Sandy Hook shooting lawsuit go forward

Discussion in 'Gun-Control Issues' started by hammerkill, Nov 12, 2019.

1. hammerkill

hammerkill

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court said Tuesday that a survivor and relatives of victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting can pursue their lawsuit against the maker of the rifle used to kill 26 people.

The justices rejected an appeal from Remington Arms that argued it should be shielded by a 2005 federal law preventing most lawsuits against firearms manufacturers when their products are used in crimes.

The case is being watched by gun control advocates, gun rights supporters and gun manufacturers across the country, as it has the potential to provide a roadmap for victims of other mass shootings to circumvent the federal law and sue the makers of firearm.

The court's order allows the lawsuit filed in Connecticut state court by a survivor and relatives of nine victims who died at the Newtown, Connecticut, school on Dec. 14, 2012, to go forward.

The lawsuit says the Madison, North Carolina-based company should never have sold a weapon as dangerous as the Bushmaster AR-15-style rifle to the public. Gunman Adam Lanza used it to kill 20 first graders and six educators. It also alleges Remington targeted younger, at-risk males in marketing and product placement in violent video games. Lanza was 20 years old.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/supreme-court-lets-sandy-hook-143642777.html

this is a bunch of **** you watch these conneticut liberal clowns find for the plaintiffs for a fortune. lawyers and liberals are absolute scum!

rfd339, glock1097, Caver 60 and 3 others like this.
  2. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

3. evlbruce

evlbruce

Good thing we have Principled Conservative Justices on the SCOTUS.

:rolleyes:

rfd339, narkcop128, Cambo and 6 others like this.
  4. Intolerant

Intolerant

Makes about as much sense as somebody trying to sue a car company for getting a speeding ticket. The gun and the gun company aren`t responsible, the person operating the gun, is. Its sad when people today try to attach anything/everything possible to try to get more blood money.

I do believe there was a law made, where they can NOT sue the gun companies. Yes/No ???

rfd339, glock1097, Caver 60 and 2 others like this.
  5. spork

spork Caffeinator

This is insane.

My brother was murdered years ago by a scumbag armed with a 38 caliber Colt revolver. I never once considered suing Colt firearms, the distributor, the dealer, the prior owner, or any other such thing. Nobody in my family considered doing that. We only blamed one person for his death.

Johnix, Caver 60, Cambo and 3 others like this.
  6. Pluto57

Pluto57

Well, they didn't rule on it, they just refused to look at it at all. They routinely refuse to hear cases, including gun related cases.

rfd339, Slackinoff, glock1097 and 3 others like this.
  7. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

The law clearly says the suit cannot go forward. I'm pretty sure this will get dismissed by the Supreme Court, so I'm curious why they are pressing it.

Could be angry families are more concerned with getting their pound of flesh rather than making strategic decisions to advance gun control agendas.

Intolerant likes this.
  8. Intolerant

Intolerant

I`m actually surprised they haven`t tried to sue the ammo company, the primer company, the powder company, the bullet company, the brass company. Even try to sue the gun shop AND the person who sold the ammo.

glock1097 and hammerkill like this.
  9. powernoodle

powernoodle

Thank you. The Court denied a Petition for Writ of Certiorari, meaning that it did not hear the appeal from the federal appellate court. The Supreme Court did not "let the case go forward", and it did not trample on the 2nd Amendment. It simply denied the petition to hear the appeal. This is what occurs in response to the vast majority of petitions for certiorari. Such appeals are discretionary, and the Supreme Court simply cannot hear every appeal from every court.

10. Pluto57

Pluto57

I suppose Remington could try to get any verdict thrown out, but I don't see why the SCOTUS would be any more anxious to rule after the fact than they are now.

11. Intolerant

Intolerant

Dont bet your life on it ;)

Cambo and hammerkill like this.
  12. Intolerant

Intolerant

Spork, i am so sorry for your loss. Nobody should EVER have to ever go through this.

spork, Cambo and Berto like this.
  13. Dave514

Dave514

Louisville Slugger better batten down the hatches.

Navy1964 and Caver 60 like this.
  14. powernoodle

powernoodle

15. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

16. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Also IIRC the issue that is still alive in this case has to do with whether Remington negligently marketed the rifle to target young men with fantasies of murder, that kind of thing. The issue of whether a manufacturer is shielded by the 2005 law for making and selling guns is already settled (in Remington's favor). What the plaintiffs are being given the opportunity to prove is that Remington specifically advertised this gun as a great gun for mass killings, just like in your favorite video games, etc etc.

The sky is not falling, the Supreme Court has not come down on anyone's side here.

spork likes this.
  17. Biggy1

Biggy1

**Connecticut Supreme Court** ... VERY DIFFERENT FROM SCOTUS. Yahoo at it again!
    It’s not a blow to the firearms industry and the lawsuit will go nowhere. In the end, gun manufacturers are not responsible for how people use their products.
    If one goes down this road, then by this Jurisprudence precedence, breweries, distilleries and automakers will be susceptible to these types of lawsuits. I don't think so.

UncleDave, Bus007 and PhotoFeller like this.
  18. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Correct. The SCOTUS didn't actually say anything about the merits of the case; they rejected the appeal by Remington. The CT Supreme Court tossed out most of the case, leaving only a claim as to marketing/advertising AR-15 rifles. Not only would plaintiff's have to show that Remington somehow marketed them illegally or inappropriately, they would have to show that this was a cause of the shooting at Sandy Hook.

Good luck with that. <insert sarcasm icon>

Now, the sky might indeed be falling at this very moment, but not because of this.

19. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

Seems like the logic of this case could apply to relatives of drunk-driver victims who sue the distiller of whiskey consumed by intoxicated operators; it should not have sold a product that could result in the deaths of auto accident victims.

Surely the law applies the burden of individual accountability in such cases.

Caver 60 likes this.
  20. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

At this point, given the CT Supreme Court's ruling, the relatives would have to show that the whiskey was marketed improperly, the drunk consumed the whiskey as a result of the marketing, and the whiskey was a cause of the accident.

They could sue the car manufacturer on the same theory.

Frankly, I'd more concerned if I were marketing fast cars, rather than guns.

PhotoFeller likes this.