Suppressors

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by teeceetx, Oct 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

With a good suppressor and subsonic loads you shouldn't need hearing protection. As far as sights and a threaded barrel, there are factory firearms that come with sights that clear the suppressor and a threaded barrel. There are also suppressors that won't interfere with factory sights, depending on the host.
    My FNX-T, RMR Trijicon, and Osprey all work like they were designed by one factory.

2. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

Per above: another couple of reasons I've declined suppressor acquisition: buying subsonic ammo and buying a whole new host. Suppressors are neat but I just can't make the leap using any kind of logic. YMMV.

3. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

It's just as easy for me to reload subsonic as anything. If nothing else, it's even cheaper. As to "buying a whole new host"....... if I was never going to buy another firearm that might be a problem. But since I will buy another firearm, I'll just make sure it has a threaded barrel if I want to suppress it.

4. TF2Addict

TF2Addict

Silencers work with supersonic ammo too, just obviously not as quiet. But they still reduce the sound significantly. I would not shoot any suppressed gun for extended periods without hearing protection except maybe a 22LR, and even then at least foam plugs would probably be a good idea.

Whole new host? Just a threaded barrel. In the case of my ARs the barrel is already threaded.

SpringerTGO likes this.
  5. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

I am waiting to see if President Trump Bans the Suppressors. He motioned his BFS Ban. He is seriously looking at a Suppressor Ban. If these are Banned we will have to surrender them. That will be expensive.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N70evAZS548

6. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

Not to beat the poor dead horse; in my case I would have to buy a threaded 9mm conversion barrel for my G22, buy subsonic ammo for the best effect, or loading dies, buy a slide with high sights (the G22 is my LEO carry gun, and high sights would involve a different holster) and still have to use hearing protection for any extended shooting session. A Neilsen device has to be thrown in and I haven't gotten to the basic cost of the suppressor and $200 registration. I hope you guys enjoy your cans. After a lot of thinking and research, I'll do OK with my ear muffs.

7. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Since you are beating a dead horse......
    Don't you buy ammo anyways? What's the difference between buying subsonic and high velocity? You say you have to buy dies...... there is no difference between 9mm dies so if you have a press and reload for your Glock you are covered. A 9mm threaded barrel for a Glock is a pretty cheap purchase. Higher sights are not a necessity depending on the suppressor.
    Not a big deal. You've got your reasons.

FullClip likes this.
  8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

He mentioned it in passing. It's not going to happen. Unlike bump stocks he can't ban silencers by decree.

Dog Soldier likes this.
  9. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

Can we have a moment of silence for the dead horse......Thanks.

pgg00 and BOOSTED12A like this.
  10. Dog Soldier

FullClip likes this.
  11. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

They're still clearing about 10-11 months ago, but it seems some July time frame individuals got cleared very quickly. A lot of people think it was a test for a new system but the actual employees aren't explaining. While everyone hopes it's a new austen, it could easily be a new person screwing up or even someone helping people in a timeframe on purpose.

12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Again, not going to to happen. And now Trump isn't going to cooperate with ANY new gun control as long as the dems are pushing impeachment.

BOOSTED12A likes this.
  13. Dog Soldier

No American President regardless of Party affiliation should abort our 2nd Amendment. :flag:

BOOSTED12A likes this.
  14. IllinoisGun

IllinoisGun

TRUMP isn't going after gun suppressors - LOL.

B C likes this.
  15. evlbruce

evlbruce

I really wish I'd gotten a low-backpressure suppressor as it'd be easier on my rifles and take much less fiddling with gas pressures.

16. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

I have one, a Rugged Obsidian, and I enjoy shooting with it, particularly with my 9mm Extar (pictured). With a piston, it works on a pistol just the same.

extar suppressed.jpg

It's covered by a lifetime warranty, and made of good steel so it should last many years.

The cleaning part is somewhat a PITA, need an ultrasonic cleaner to do it right. Maintenance I don't think so, there aren't moving parts in a suppressor.
    ______

I reload, so for me ammo is not a problem. In 9mm, load 147 grains or above you are golden. With subsonic rounds, the sound of the bullet hitting the steel is WAY louder than the firing sound, so ear protection is absolutely optional if always recommended.

17. FAS1

FAS1

:laughabove:

[​IMG]

SpringerTGO likes this.
  18. pgg00

pgg00

Got my tax stamp today. Picked it up.

20191025_123729.jpg

FullClip and BOOSTED12A like this.
  19. teeceetx

teeceetx

I'm intrigued by this whole silencer thing. I wonder why a silencer is such a big deal to obtain. In my mind, a gun should be like a car, muffled from the factory. And when I hear people say gunfire should be loud so others know someone's shooting, I think to myself - so what? Are there that many illegal "shootings" that this is really an issue? Am I wrong in saying 99% of gun discharges are perfectly legal, by any standard? What about stabbings by knives? Should we produce a knife that makes a loud noise when used?

Dog Soldier and FullClip like this.
  20. B C

B C

Congrats. How long was your wait?