Suppressors?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ronin.45, Mar 19, 2010.

1. ronin.45

ronin.45

I think I'm finally ready to buy a can for my .22's. I have done a little research and think I know which ones I like, but I want to know what you guys have and like. I don't mind spending more money if the product is better so any model is possible. I want to know what you have, whether you like it, and why or why not. Thanks.

2. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

There are silencer forums that will have a lot more information than you'll find on GT, and a lot more people who actually own & use them. It's an easy search to find them.

3. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

silencertalk.com

For a .22 can, you really want one that will disassemble.

The Silencerco Sparry is exceptionally good as it protects the outer tube (which is the registered part) but it is not as quiet at some others.

The ACC Prodigy is quiet, easy to take apart, but does not protect the tube.

the Gemtech outback is quiet, light, and small, but it does not come apart. You have to have Gemtech refurbish it if you want it cleaned out.

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

Yes, I'm definitely looking for one that disassembles. I've heard stories about Gemtechs that weighed 3 times what they started once they filled up with lead residue. I like the idea of being able to clean it.

5. hatidua

hatidua

SWR Spectre: all stainless, comes apart easily for cleaning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. edrobert

edrobert

1) SWR Spectre
    2) AAC Element
    3) Silencerco Sparrow

Look no further..............

7. Bama tactical

Bama tactical

8. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

A big plus one! I own the silencero sparrow and a AWC Archangel T.

Check out my youtube page for tons of suppressed videos, I started using a FlipHD camera that takes very accurate sound...

http://www.youtube.com/user/fireman1291

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  9. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Before you get a 22LR suppressor, look at 9mm suppressors.

The current 9mm suppressors are almost as quiet as the BEST 22LR. They will allow you to shoot the 22LR as well as 9mm and other cartridges producing the same or less gas volume as the 9mm (some 38special, some 300-221).

I have a 22LR, 45ACP, 308.

10. Fireman1291

^
    True

However, Id only shoot .22lr through a 9mm take down can for cleaning purposes...and the only one that comes to mind is the YHM M2 Cobra which is NOT the quietest can out there as far as other 9mm cans. But for the $$ and its take down abilities, its a great deal.

I have the silencerco osprey 9mm inbound.. I let ya know what it sounds like when I finally get it. Its spossed to be the beez kneez.

11. RWBlue

There was another take apart one someone was reviewing that was a little better, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Additionally, if you just look at the cleaning of he non-take down ones as cost of doing business, it is not that bad.

12. RWBlue

I remembered the company, but I have never been presented with scientific DB measurements.
    DeGroat Tactical Armaments

13. PartyBible

PartyBible

You get a gold star for teaching me something today. I assume there is a difference in barrel diameter for how it attaches to a 9mm or 22lr barrel?

Say switching between a 10/22 or glock?

14. RWBlue

What is wild is that the standard for 22LR in the USA, 9mm in the USA, and the AR-15 5.56 is the same, BUT there are exceptions to every rule.

For your specific example, you are going to have to buy threaded barrels.... you can buy the standard thread pattern on the barrels....or..you could try to be different. I suggest you try to follow the standard, it makes life easier in the long run.

15. RWBlue

Why I am thinking about it.....

Although you can put a 9mm, or 22LR suppressor on an AR-15 it will not last 1 round and will pretty much explode in your face.

The 223 suppressor will not work on the 9mm because of the small bore.

The 223 suppressor will function as a 22lr suppressor, but will slowly fill up with lead because they do not come apart.

If I was starting from scratch....So to have the least number of suppressors that will function with the greatest number of guns/cartridges.....Get a 9mm, Get a 45ACP, Get a 308. I can think of very few cartridges I couldn't shoot, with the right conversions.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  16. ronin.45

ronin.45

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to stick with .22 for now. I want to play with my two threaded Rugers and maybe way down the road I will think about 9mm. I like the Tactical Solutions Cascade and some of the ones mentioned. Anybody have any experience with the Cascade?

17. Fireman1291

Actually..

Look into the Degroat Nano, It uses wipes so it can be effectivley uses to silence .22, .380, and 9mm. The wipes last 50shots but the can is takeapart titanium to you can clean it and replace the wipes. He gives you info on where to buy a huge sheet of the wipe material and the cutter to cut out a metric poop load of wipes. Plus the can is very compact and doesnt require a booster.
    http://www.armamentsales.com/suppressors.htm

But If you HAD to have a compact .22 can, Id buy the SilencerCo Sparrow and nothing else, the ease of cleaning is insane and the company stands behind thier product.
    http://www.silencerco.com/Silencerco/#/22sparrow/specs/

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  18. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

50 shots? I'd need 4 sets for each outing......

19. Fireman1291

Correct, the wipe will wear and the report will grow louder. Its just a little wipe you insert into the end of the can when you take it apart. This way you can keep the water/wire pull gel inside. Its a compact can with a lot of sound reduction, its trade off is the wipes.

20. ronin.45

ronin.45

The Sparrow does look very interesting. I like the internal half tubes. I'm all about easy cleaning and maintenance. 40db reduction is nice too.