Suppressor~The "Dip", and, Anodized Aluminum Baffles

Discussion in 'GATE NFA/Class III' started by ChiefWPD, Dec 19, 2018.

1. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

I have two .22 suppressors; SilencerCo Sparrow (stainless steel mono-core), and a Ryder 22A (anodized aluminum baffles).

I read somewhere that, while aluminum and the "dip" (white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide mix) is a no-no for aluminum as well as titanium, if the aluminum was anodized, that would permit some protection from any issues using the dip.

Because I've had such a hassle cleaning my Ryder 22A suppressor just using normal cleaning solutions, out of desperation I have used the dip method of cleaning its baffles twice now.

The first time I only let the aluminum stay in the dip 1/2 an hour. I knew that wouldn't get the baffles completely clean, but figured, what the heck.

Anyway, did that a few months ago and had no issues with degradation of the baffles that I could see

Today, I decided to clean both suppressors. The Sparrow is resting nicely in the dip solution as I type this. I put the aluminum baffles of the Ryder 22A in the dip for two hours. I removed the baffles, soaked them in water, at the same time using a toothbrush to get off as much gunk as possible.

Once again, I saw no degradation of the baffle material. Frog lubed the whole affair and put it together until the next cleaning.

I will continue this regime, with the Ryder 22A, until I have reason not to.

Any thoughts from people who actually know about such things, or have had a similar experience trying the dip with anodized aluminum baffles??

One last thing. I tried to keep track as to the number of rounds of ammo going through both suppressors. My best guesstimate would be around 500 rounds each. I find that putting any more than 500 rounds through either suppressor makes taking them apart really difficult.

The only ammo I use in my suppressors is Federal 45 grain, plated, subsonic rounds. Very reliable. Very accurate.

2. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Update on my use of the dip with ANODIZED aluminum suppressor baffles:

After firing my Ryder 22A around four hundred rounds I opted to clean the unit. I fire Federal 45 grain subsonic these days, and these rounds go a long way to keeping the suppressor clean.

I put my baffles in the jar and added a relatively modest amount of vinegar and peroxide (OK, not a scientific way of describing the amount...). Left the baffles in the solution for around 50 minutes.

Took baffles out, dumped them in water and wiped them off. The solution did a nice job of cleaning the baffles. No degradation of the baffles was to be seen.

Again, you CANNOT use the "dip" for straight aluminum or titanium baffles. But, I have found, to my satisfaction, that, with a bit of care, you may use the dip to clean off ANODIZED aluminum suppressor baffles.

YMMV...