Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Suppressor owners,.....have a few Qs

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by faawrenchbndr, Jun 7, 2012.

  1. faawrenchbndr

    faawrenchbndr CLM

    Likes Received:
    Nov 24, 2005
    east of East St Louis
    So, I'm thinking of getting a suppressor for my rifle.
    Have some questions about setting up a trust.
    What about the process of transferring if I move to another state?
  2. WoodenPlank

    WoodenPlank Who?

    Likes Received:
    May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Not sure about the trust angle, but if you move to another state, you just send in a 5320.20 form (in duplicate) to the ATF, and you'll get a signed reply in about a week. If you're going out of state to visit, you don't need a 5320.20 for a visit on a suppressor - it's the only NFA item that doesn't need one for a temporary out-of-state move. Be sure to check local and state laws for your destination and route, of course.

  3. chemcmndr


    Likes Received:
    Aug 23, 2008
    Beavercreek, OH

    What questions do you have about setting up a trust?
  4. LA_357SIG

    LA_357SIG Milspectacular

    Likes Received:
    Aug 28, 2006
    Not Los Angeles.
    This might help.

    What Happens With My Gun Trust When I Move to Another State.

    April 12, 2011
    Posted In: Firearms Articles , Form 20 - 5320.20 Transportation , Gun Trust Lawyer®

    By David M. Goldman on April 12, 2011 10:22 PM| Permalink

    Besides dealing with the issues of physically moving the firearms across state lines, which is covered in our Memorandum that comes with the trust in the section entitled What is necessary if I want to take the firearms across state lines or change the location where they are stored?, we are often asked about the effect of moving states on the Gun Trust itself.

    Generally moving from one state to another will not require any changes to the trust with the exception of the state of Maine (only if you want to make additional Title II purchases). A validly created Trust in one state, is valid in another state if you move. Depending on the language in the trust, the rules that it references may change or not. Generally our trusts will still reference the original state's laws once you move. This can be changed if you desire but is typically not necessary.

    More importantly the ATF looks at the minimum requirements for a valid trust in the state in which it is being used. Our trusts meet the minimum requirements of any state where the items are legal.

    The ATF does not understand the concept of a trust being created in one state and used in another state. If you only had a settlors signature and then moved to a state like Florida where two witnesses were required, the ATF would not recognize your trust as valid. Our Copyrighted Gun Trust will be recognized as valid for purchases of additional NFA Firearms in any state where the purchase of those firearms is legal except Maine, which has a strange gun law which requires that a trust be formed in that state to be an eligible purchaser of firearms.

    So unless you move to Maine, there is nothing that needs to be done with a trust prepared by a Gun Trust Lawyer® to be used in another state. If the laws of a state change and you need an amendment for some reason or just would like to change your trust to be under the laws of your the new state you live in, we do offer very reasonably priced amendments to change the jurisdiction and language in the trust.

    An exception to the above might involve a custom amendment that is created to allow for the minimum requirements under your state laws. This is typically done for dealers who want to rent Title II firearms and easily add and remove trustees on a daily basis.

    ETA: IIRC Louisiana requires actual NFA registration with the state.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012