supported barrel for glocks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tamousw, Aug 23, 2007.

1. tamousw

tamousw

Does it make a difference in accuracy if you you drop a supported barrel in your glock? I understand that having an unsupported barrel can cause kb's or kabooms where the firearm literally explodes. If so which is the best barrel to drop in there?

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

There is no such thing as a 100% supported barrel in any semi-automatic pistol. Ammo will not feed from a magazine, making it a single shot pistol. Some barrels offer more support than others. Glocks have more than adequate support for factory ammo. Over 73% of the Law Enforcement Agencies in the USA, including the FBI, use Glocks (with factory barrels). The FBI tested 3 G22's and 3 G23's, 20,000 rounds each in less than 5 days without problem. I have personally fired over 100,000 rounds through my various Glocks of various calibers over an eleven year period and have never experienced a problem. Do not let yourself fall victum to internet hysteria regarding Glock barrels.

Aftermarket match barrels offer slightly more support and slightly tighter chambers, increasing accuracy of the pistol, but the cost is often a compromise on reliability. That is why they are not recommended for carry or personal defense.

3. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Aftermarket match barrels offer slightly more support and slightly tighter chambers, increasing accuracy of the pistol, but the cost is often a compromise on reliability. That is why they are not recommended for carry or personal defense.

All true, and to the point. The problem with the Glock barrels usually only comes into play with those of us that reload. Some barrels have tighter tolerances than others, and usually with looser tolerances, you pick up reliability, which is what Glock is all about. On the other hand if you are a reloader, and use your brass over, and over again, and have a factory barrel, that puts a slight bulge in the brass, you are asking for a problem, because of the structural integrity of the brass being lost, and could very well lead to a K-boom.

Now if your only going to shoot manufactured ammo, you have no worries with the factory barrel. If on the other hand, your a penny pinching SOB, like myself, and only shoot reloads, an aftermarket barrel is the safe way to go.

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Ah, but I am a reloader. I use a Lee Factory Crip Die in the final stage for 9mm, 40S&W, .45ACP and .45GAP reloads on my Dillon 550B. I never, ever reload to maximums with used brass.

5. gary newport

gary newport

And I too am a reloader! I've put over 15,000 of MY reloads through my GAP Glocks (and several thousand through ACP Glocks) with NO problems. I reload on the light side, using only plated or jacketed bullets. I use only Dillon dies these days.

6. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

My experience, with a G20 I now own, and a G23 that I previously owned, was with "ALL" ammo fired through the factory barrel showed signs of bulging at the bottom of the casing. The hotter the round the larger the bulge. I too use the FCD, and may be wrong in my thinking, but don't feel comfortable shooting weakened brass from the bulging. Especially in the high pressures achieved with 9, 40' and 10, loads. I am aware of others success of multiple reloadings from stressed brass, but I had a Hi-Power years ago which had poor case support, and luckily it was just the grips that blew up.

As far as the ACP Glock models, I have a 30, and have not as much have seen any stress signs in my brass. For the most part, the few thousand 45 brass I posses are on somewhere between their tenth, and twentieth reloading. Of course the 45 loadings are about a third of the chamber pressures achieved by the others.

I have become fond of all my digits, and feel I got lucky once, and don't want to press my luck. Any abnormality in my brass, and it gets filed in the round file cabinet. Hey but thats just what I do.

7. big88foot

big88foot Millennium Member

The main reason I bought an aftermarket barrel (KKM) for my G-22 was I thought I wanted to reload with lead bullets. It does have a slightly tighter chamber and better support, but I never saw much increase in accuracy, (at least not from a practical, hand-held viewpoint). Anyway, I ended up not reloading lead for .40 and never used the barrel much because it didn't have quite the reliability of the stock barrel. It was okay for range use, but every hundred rounds or so, it would have a small proplem with feeding. Of course I only used if for a couple hundred rounds so that might have just been a break-in issue. (anyone want to buy a G-22 KKM barrel?)

BF