Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not want to hijack another thread but there have been some here recently badmouthing the NRA. I think it's totally wrong. The NRA is one of the last bastions we have to actively support our Gun Rights!
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> The NRA has reported that the White House has made it clear that in the very near future there will be new initiatives on gun control. This should come as no surprise since prior to his election as President, Barack Obama was a strong supporter of gun control. There was never a single gun control bill in the Illinois legislature that he did not vote for, and he voted against every pro-gun measure that ever reached the floor of the state Senate. As an individual there is not much one can do to resist this upcoming effort by the President, but by joining the NRA you can add your voice to the strongest advocacy group for 2nd amendment rights.

I am an NRA member only and not otherwise affiliated with this group. I am not soliciting funds or attempting to change anyone's opinion. Only to bring these potential problems to the surface.

<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
They do but that's somewhat necessary to keep gun right on people's minds and keep them supporting the organization. Otherwise if people stopped renewing their memberships/donating to the ILA when times were good they wouldn't have enough funds to fight hard when times get bad again. Is the NRA perfect? No. Is the NRA in the best position to continue fighting for our 2A rights which believe it or not are constantly under attack by some powerful people and special interests? Yes!

·
Registered
864 Posts
I am a Life Member of the NRA and recently became an annual member of GOA. Every person on this forum should join one or both of these organizations. GOA is critical of the NRA on a number of points, but the NRA is still the best thing we have going to help preserve our God-given and Constitutionally-protected right to keep and bear arms.

·
Raven
12,747 Posts
I did not want to hijack another thread but there have been some here recently badmouthing the NRA. I think it's totally wrong. The NRA is one of the last bastions we have to actively support our Gun Rights!
The NRA has reported that the White House has made it clear that in the very near future there will be new initiatives on gun control. This should come as no surprise since prior to his election as President, Barack Obama was a strong supporter of gun control. There was never a single gun control bill in the Illinois legislature that he did not vote for, and he voted against every pro-gun measure that ever reached the floor of the state Senate. As an individual there is not much one can do to resist this upcoming effort by the President, but by joining the NRA you can add your voice to the strongest advocacy group for 2nd amendment rights.

I am an NRA member only and not otherwise affiliated with this group. I am not soliciting funds or attempting to change anyone's opinion. Only to bring these potential problems to the surface.

<!-- / message -->

Last bastions? :rofl:

Maybe you should do some digging into their history, before you have to find out the hard way how they'll sell out gun owners for their bigger political goals. Or maybe you should review the archives of their stories and look for trends of baseless fearmongering to try and convince people to give them more money.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'm a member of the NRA. I support them, and their philosophy. However, they are like any other big organization out there. They play their games, but they are on our side, and I am happy about that.
My biggest question is with, or without the NRA, or any lobby group is. What would really happen if a sitting President, or administration, actually made a move to strike down the 2A and try something like in Britain or Austrailia here in the US. I really don't think it would, or could ever happen. It would look similar to Cairo right now if they tried something like that in the US. They know it too. Cooter and Bubba don't play those kind of games. The NRA has it's place, but they are not worried about them. We the people, that's where the worry lies, and actually where it should lie. I love to be represented, but represent me well. You want to change the Constitution, fine, call a convention and change it. Trounce it, side step it, skip it, what have you , Myself ,and every other American who has ever raised their hand and said " I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic so help me God" Are watching.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm an NRA member, and have been for over twenty years. I support most of what they do. But they are NOT our strongest defense against gun control. There has not been any Federal Gun Control law passed without NRA approval. 1934 National firearms Act was written with NRA help. 1968 Gun Control Act also had a lot of NRA input. The 1994 Brady Act was run by the NRA and modified until they agreed not to fight it. Ditto the 1994 Assault Rifle ban. NRA has never fought to repeal ANY federal gun control law.

I encourage people to join. But do not for a minute think that Wayne Lapierre and his cronies are anything but a different breed of politician out for power and personal benefit.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last bastions? :rofl:

Maybe you should do some digging into their history, before you have to find out the hard way how they'll sell out gun owners for their bigger political goals. Or maybe you should review the archives of their stories and look for trends of baseless fearmongering to try and convince people to give them more money.

Interesting comment but could you elaborate because I don't see any evidence of what you are saying.
What are the NRA's "bigger political goals"?
And I don't think that keeping us advised is fear mongering!!

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I don't know if that is completely true but the Brady Act and Assault Rifle Ban would have been much more restrictive if not for the NRA.

"In a dramatic ruling giving gun owners a win in an National Rifle Association / California Rifle and Pistol (CRPA) Foundation lawsuit, this morning Fresno Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Hamilton ruled that AB 962, the hotly contested statute that would have banned mail order ammunition sales and required all purchases of so called "handgun ammunition&#8221; to be registered, was unconstitutionally vague on its face."

Does this sound familiar? If not for the NRA and CRPA the Ammunition Ban would have gone through in California!! For decades the NRA has been litigating in many dozens of court cases to promote the right to self defense and the 2nd Amendment.

I am not the spokesperson for the NRA! I will be the first to admit that they are not perfect and they do have good and bad points but they are the largest, most organized and oldest organization of this type and are constantly vigilant in monitoring attempts at restricting Americans right to self defense. And they are in positions to take immediate, experienced legal action.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
To be fair, they've pretty much been saying that in every letter I get from them for the past 15 years.
:rofl: True. NRA is good to go but they do like to sell the impending doom thing a wee bit.
I agree and if they would layoff the aggressive mailing they wouldn't need money. I get a renewal letter every month and I just became a member :dunno: .

·
Stop the steal!
18,000 Posts
I've been an NRA member since the mid 1980's, and a sporadic member prior to that. Currently, I'm a life member. It's my thinking that everyone who owns a gun, or supports the constitutional right for citizens to own arms......should be a member of the NRA.

As others have said, the NRA hasn't been perfect, and has actually supported gun legislation, but is our best source of voice in our government......like it, or not.

I'm not very happy that it seems like some people seem to live very well on the money donated from much less well off members of the organization.....this just doesn't seem right at all to me. The NRA should be an organization that serves it's members as spokesmen for their needs.....and never should be a source of excess wealth for certain leadership roles. Their salaries should be a reflection of those who pay their salaries......but, the membership doesn't have a voice in that at all......

Even so, the cost of membership is small when you consider the alternatives!

Be a member of the NRA, then you have the right to complain.

If you aren't a member, then you are a part of the problem......not the solution. Without the NRA, it's hard to imagine what gun rights we would still have, but it most assuredly would be less than it is right now......:wavey:

hog

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
If you aren't a member, then you are a part of the problem......not the solution.
Aaaaaaaaaand here's where you lose people (I'm saying this as a member of the NRA.)

Just by buying guns and ammunition, and shooting, you're doing something for gun ownership. Just by voting for the right people and for the right amendments, locally and otherwise, you're doing something for guns (I know some people who own zero guns who still support gun ownership in all forms.)

Saying that you're "part of the problem" simply by not being a member of the NRA is ridiculous at best, and at worst, will piss people off when they hear it who might otherwise have thought to join. Just imagine if the NRA said "If you don't join us, you're part of the problem." I guarantee their membership wouldn't go up.

Also, to the original poster, this same thing gets posted weekly on numerous subforums and many other gun forums, and it's a bit of a tired subject.

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
I personally think that GOA and JPFO are better groups than the NRA.
I was an NRA member for years and all I saw that I gained form it was endless phone calls and mailings asking for more money and I've never saw the NRA stop any piece of Anti-Gun legislation from passing. I think they're nothing more then a big Paper Tiger that eats firearms owners money. JMHO, YMMV.

·
Varmit Control
8,529 Posts
Alot of the NRA members here on GT need to become NRA certified firearms instructors.

The more people we train to become safe and responsible gun owners, the more votes we get for pro-gun politicians on election day.

BTW, I am an Endowment Life Member.

·
Stop the steal!
18,000 Posts
I personally think that GOA and JPFO are better groups than the NRA.

.....and I've never saw the NRA stop any piece of Anti-Gun legislation from passing.
The anti-gun politicians themselves will tell you who is doing the best job at stopping their efforts to legislate gun control. You don't hear them complaining about GOA, JFPO, 2nd A foundation, etc. What you do hear them complain about, loudly and clearly, and in an endless diatribe of frustration........is none other than the NRA.

TN Frank.......you couldn't be more wrong about thinking the NRA has never stopped any anti-gun legislation. The stack of failed attempts at curbing your RKBA, on local, state, and the national level is tall and extensive. Most of these things are stopped long before you hear about it in the news.

GTFord......OK, let me revise my wording for you that fail to see what the NRA has accomplished.......If you don't belong to the NRA, you are not part of the organized effort to preserve the second amendment that has proven to be meaningful within the workings of our government at all levels.

It really is too bad that the constitution isn't held in as high regard as those elected representatives who swear to uphold it, say they do. The NRA is the best bet for making this happen against their will.

hog

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
The NRA is not a perfect organization. I do, however, believe that the NRA is the strongest voice in protection of 2nd Amendment rights. And yes...I am quite proud to be a LIfe Member of the NRA.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts