Supplements that actualy work

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by mac66, Feb 21, 2020.

1. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Some background...

I just found this forum

I'm 65 years old and usually work out 5 or 6 days a week. Generally I do circuit weight training and cardio on alternate days. In the summer I ride my bicycle anywhere from 20-40 miles a day, 3 or 4 days a week and lift on alternate days.

Last summer I started doing heavier weights on the bench, squats, military press, curls etc. etc. The over the head presses injured my rotator cuffs in both arms. Fortunately I didn't tear them but it took 6 months of rehab to get me back lifting again. I've been doing lots of reps with low weight (nothing over my head) since around Christmas and last week started increasing the weight. I'm trying to build back up where I was last summer.

The thing is I'm tired and sore most of the time. At 65, while I'm in the best shape I've been in for 30 years, I don't recover very fast any more.

I've never been one to take any supplements including vitamins but I'm willing to try if they can help me build muscle and/or recover quicker.

Any suggestions?

2. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Protein powder. Good quality whey protein, like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard.

Water. Stay very well hydrated - start every day with at least one tall glass of water, and drink throughout the day. You should never feel thirsty - if you do, you’re starting to get dehydrated. My rule of thumb is drink enough that I have to pee every 30 minutes.

The day after a workout, hit same muscle groups with one compound movement. Don’t go to failure or to where you’re pushing it very hard.

3. BigBull 301

BigBull 301

Look into MtnOPs products.

4. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

TRT works - whether or not you consider that a supplement, or hormone therapy, anti-aging, male enhancement, or PED’s is a matter of opinion.

Now that’s out of the way... for a natural lifter - increased protein (minimum of 1 gram per the body weight you hope to achieve), whey protein, and creatine are all helpful. I found that 2-3 grams of Creatine per day, without a loading phase worked for me.

Also, past age 45 or so, any attempt to go hard, whether an increase in volume, or an attempt to set a new current max resulted in strains, pain, injury or all three. YMMV.

Dave514 and Willard like this.
  5. BradD

BradD

I agree with this. It's amazing how slowly I have to increase any parameter to avoid nagging injuries.

As for supplements: I take Cod Liver Oil and Advil to try and decrease inflammation. When I get sick of eating chicken and fish, I use some Whey protein powder. That's about it.

6. MilkDrinker

MilkDrinker

I agree with creatine and protein powder. I personally use a 50/50 mix of whey and casein.

I’ve been using magnesium glycinate for years to prevent cramps and it works 100% of the time for me.

I also take a B-12 complex and extra potassium when I rehydrate, it’s more effective than plain water.

7. Detectorist

Detectorist

Vitamin D. 5000 i.u./day.

Get enough rest. You shouldn't feel tired all the time.

Wizzz likes this.
  8. Wizzz

Wizzz

I used to do creatine and On protein powder on and off. I've built enough muscle and strength when I was younger so I'm more into maintaining now.

I don't push heavy weights around now because it wears the body out and cause injuries.

rfd339 likes this.
  9. rfd339

rfd339 Silver Member

20200727_023737.jpg
    I use this for the BCAA and glutamine for recovery. Extra 1000mg arginine for cardiovascular twice a day.
    Stay away from creatine, it draws water from the body into the muscle and is hard on the kidneys so keep well hydrates ,to add it will bloat you up bad with water weight if you go with that suppament. Good quality protein from chicken and fish to lessen the calories because some of those big jugs will fatten you up.
    I'm 50 and have lefted heavy weights from my mid 20's to 45 and used it all to gain an extra plate on the bar . Shoulder joints told me it was time to back off. I still do 315 beach and 350 squat still and cardio on a elliptical for 3 miles in 40 mins five days a week. Mountain bike 5 to10 miles on weekends but not forced.

10. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

That advice on water intake can be dangerous. I’m 6’2” and 235lbs. My doctor told me to drink 200 ounces of water a day and take a fiber supplement for chronic constipation . Four months later I started having irregular heartbeat. It got so bad that sometimes it felt like a hand was squeezing my heart and I went to the emergency room. I had hypokalemia, or low blood potassium. It didn’t matter that I took a daily multivitamin pack. My cardiologist said that I only needed about one ounce of water for every two pounds of lean body mass. I was drinking twice that much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. jk_226

jk_226

A good rule of thumb is if your urine is dark yellow you're not drinking enough, if it's totally clear you're drinking too much. Too much can result in overhydration causing sodium levels in your blood to get too low.

[​IMG]

BradD and CZ Glock like this.
  12. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

Testosterone. I started TRT in December and feel the best I have my whole adult life. My aches and pains are gone except for mild tennis elbow from lifting weights. I’ve lost fat and put on muscle. I get blood tests every few months and all my numbers are perfect. I’ve got the sex drive of a young man at age 51. My mental focus and memory are much better than before when I was getting brain fog. My blood pressure was a little high before TRT. Now it’s back down in the normal range.

Despite webmd and similar sites saying testosterone is bad, how many 20 year olds die from heart attack or stroke? There are studies showing that testosterone therapy can make the heart healthy and reduce the reoccurrence of heart attack and stroke, and reverse type 2 diabetes.

The problem with TRT is a lot of doctors who don’t understand it and either won’t treat you because your number is “normal” despite being so low that you have symptoms of low testosterone, or the ones who treat people using outdated protocols. If you’re going to do it, first watch this YouTube playlist so you understand it and know how to spot a ****ty doctor and protocol: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLT-Q6MPPx-h3XadsETUtb5HC4WdNH6fQj&feature=share

13. jk_226

jk_226

ETA:
    Sorry for the double tap. The internet in my area is choked and freezes up regularly, probably due to all the people staying home due to COVID.

14. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

Before starting TRT, I was getting injuries when lifting my warmup weight. I tore a rotator cuff doing a light warmup set. Now I’m pushing more and more weight and have been injury free. Of course I’m not going for any one rep maxes and keeping the weight sane.

I think the reason why we get injured easier when we get older is that with higher testosterone level we also have more estrogen (yes even men need some estrogen) which is heart and joint protective. If your testosterone level is low, then your estrogen is low too. My joints used to ache without even doing anything. I felt like I was getting arthritis. Now that’s gone and I feel great except for very mild tennis elbow from lifting weights. It seems like no matter how hard I lift I don’t get sore, I don’t get injured, and I have fantastic recovery from my workouts. At 51 it feels great to be getting compliments on looking younger and having big guns.

15. Gauss Rifle

Gauss Rifle

@MilkDrinker likely has the answer to getting rid of your pain and muscle fatigue. ...Magnesium

Magnesium acts as a transport medium for lactic acid; an energy source for your muscles. It's used in anaerobic exercises where the energy demand on your body exceeds that which is sustainable under respiration alone. Examples include sprinting, weight lifting and cycling for extended distances.

Lactic acid is often given a bad rep., as it has a tendency to pool in your muscles; leading to that "burning" sensation you get during muscle fatigue. If this sensation lasts for days-weeks after a workout, even after you're rested, you're probably magnesium deficient (as many Americans are).

In my personal experience, cycling to and from work for as little as 50-60 miles a week, caused an intense burn and fatigue in my legs as lactic acid built up and stayed there. On weekend, I took 1000mg of magnesium with plenty of fluids and the pain was gone in less than an hour. Taking between 500-1000mg per day ensured that the pain never returned throughout the rest of the time I was cycling.

I now take about 633mg every day as part of my strength training routine. Beside the normal delayed onset muscle soreness associated with working a new muscle group, any muscle fatigue I might have goes away overnight. As a baseline, I'm 42 and about 200 pounds so you'll need to tailor your dose specific to your needs.

Hope this helps.

16. ricky

ricky Millennium Member

I understand that mostly they do shots instead of something simpler that works or have things changed?

17. Detectorist

Detectorist

20 to 40 miles a day is too much to recover from while also lifting weights. Consider lowering that mileage.

18. Detectorist

Detectorist

Of course you feel better. The fact that you feel better than you have your whole life means to me that you're overdoing the TRT. It's not really that different than the anabolic steroids taken by many bodybuilders.

19. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

Yes, to be honest my T level is higher than the "normal" level range, but not by a lot. Definitely not in bodybuilder range. And my dose is about 75 percent of the "max" therapeutic TRT dose. My dose is 155mg per week, max therapeutic dose is 200mg. Bodybuilders usually take as high as 500-600mg per week. Also, my doctor orders lab tests on a schedule and includes a complete metabolic panel in order to keep an eye on my health markers. Everything looks good!

My statement about feeling better than I had in my whole adult life needs to be amended. There's a "honeymoon" phase where you go from feeling terrible from low T level to feeling awesome, then you get used to it and just feel good. That's where I'm at now. I just feel normal, which is much better than I was last year when I had anxiety, depression, and zero sex drive, and my body felt like I was 10 years older than my age.

By the way, the "normal" testosterone level comes from a lab that measures testosterone levels and publishes the normal range based on patients. Every year or so the normal range lowers based on terrible health of participants as well as environmental damage done by pollutants/plastics. Normal levels today are much lower than a decade ago. I'm simply "optimized", not abusing. My doctor is very conservative with the treatment and won't allow you to go overboard. But I do know from a T forum I'm on that some TRT doctors do allow patients to take too high a dose and will even add steroids to the prescription. That's not me nor my doctor.

20. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Thanks for the info fellas. Gives me something to think about. Not been doing any lifting since the gym has been shut down during the virus. That has allowed my muscles to heal up some. Now that the gyms are starting to open back up I'll start back lifting, but real light. Haven't done much else this summer but walk and bike ride (20-30 miles 3-4X week)

I talked to my doc in August about Low T. He is reluctant to do TRT because I had a heart valve replacement about 5 years ago.

I started taking a multi-vitamin that has 75 mgs of magnesium in it. Probably not enough but it's a start.