Supplements that actualy work

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by mac66, Feb 21, 2020.

1. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Some background...

I just found this forum

I'm 65 years old and usually work out 5 or 6 days a week. Generally I do circuit weight training and cardio on alternate days. In the summer I ride my bicycle anywhere from 20-40 miles a day, 3 or 4 days a week and lift on alternate days.

Last summer I started doing heavier weights on the bench, squats, military press, curls etc. etc. The over the head presses injured my rotator cuffs in both arms. Fortunately I didn't tear them but it took 6 months of rehab to get me back lifting again. I've been doing lots of reps with low weight (nothing over my head) since around Christmas and last week started increasing the weight. I'm trying to build back up where I was last summer.

The thing is I'm tired and sore most of the time. At 65, while I'm in the best shape I've been in for 30 years, I don't recover very fast any more.

I've never been one to take any supplements including vitamins but I'm willing to try if they can help me build muscle and/or recover quicker.

Any suggestions?

2. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Protein powder. Good quality whey protein, like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard.

Water. Stay very well hydrated - start every day with at least one tall glass of water, and drink throughout the day. You should never feel thirsty - if you do, you’re starting to get dehydrated. My rule of thumb is drink enough that I have to pee every 30 minutes.

The day after a workout, hit same muscle groups with one compound movement. Don’t go to failure or to where you’re pushing it very hard.

3. BigBull 301

BigBull 301

Look into MtnOPs products.

4. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

TRT works - whether or not you consider that a supplement, or hormone therapy, anti-aging, male enhancement, or PED’s is a matter of opinion.

Now that’s out of the way... for a natural lifter - increased protein (minimum of 1 gram per the body weight you hope to achieve), whey protein, and creatine are all helpful. I found that 2-3 grams of Creatine per day, without a loading phase worked for me.

Also, past age 45 or so, any attempt to go hard, whether an increase in volume, or an attempt to set a new current max resulted in strains, pain, injury or all three. YMMV.

Willard likes this.