close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Supercross

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by nipperwolf, Apr 6, 2007.

1. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

recently made my second annual trip to Indy for the AMA Supercross. I go to the practice session because it offers better photo ops. ;)
    small crowd, so I can sit where I want. I like to sit down low so I can pan the riders as they fly over. I rented a D80 to try out, and took my D50 as well.

these were with the D80 and my 80-200 2.8;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

D50 and 50mm 1.8

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

You make a fella wanna go to the Honda store and do bad things...

3. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

fixed it for you. ;)

4. Litespeed_67

Litespeed_67 LnL operator

Nice fix. :) I've tried unsuccessfully to take a camera to the Phoenix SX for the past two years only to be turned around at the entrance. They could never tell me what was or wasn't allowed but finally talked to someone and the general rule is "no lens over 4 inches in length and no 'pro' looking camera." If I decide to give money to the commies running the place next year I will surely have the battery grip removed from my 10d and an 85/1.8 or 100/2.0 lens with me.

Taking pictures at the Nationals isn't as bad but it's hard to get a good spot. The best shots I got of the pros' were at Glen Helen's Prequel last year. It was also cool because the I got to pass Tommy Hahn in the open practice the day before. It doesn't matter that he was looking over his shoulder waiting for someone right?

5. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

All my street bikes have been suzuki GSXR's and 1 Bandit 1200, I did own a Yamaha Grizzly atv, but all my dirtbikes have been from BigRed.:thumbsup:
    one ACL reconstruction, 3 fused vertibrae in my neck and tremendous skin loss from a 120mph wheelie crash on my GSXR1000 have made my wife lay down the law. No more bikes. Now I spend money on fishing, guns and photo equipment...you know "mature" pursuits:sad: ;)

Here's a pic of my last bike, a custom painted (by David Bargoil customs) GSXR1000....the bike that almost did in the ponykilr. 165dyno'd RWHP. It's a scanned pic from my last film days.

[​IMG]

6. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

thats bites. I've those horror stories about MLB, Hockey, NFL, but never Supercross. the rules here are simply no video cameras. I walked in with a D50 with 50 around my neck, and the D80/80-200 2.8 in my bag, which they checked. last year, they didn't even check my bag.

have you ever been to, or tried to get the camera in for practice?

you could do real well with the 85 or 100 since you can sit close.

7. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

man, I got off lucky with just a couple minor knee tweeks. :supergrin:

great looking bike, btw. ;)

8. Litespeed_67

Litespeed_67 LnL operator

Yeah, it's been like that at Phoenix every time. I might give up and just go to Anaheim again. They didn't even seem to check the stuff when I was there...which sucked cause I didn't take it with me. There isn't any practice other than the day of the show so that's kind of out as well. I'd much rather be at the outdoors anyways and hope that I can figure out some way to get a press pass. I lucked out at the WMA Cup in 2005 (the world's largest Womens motocross event) and ended up with a press pass because a Canadian magazine had a team there and the photographer didn't show up. I made great friends and had the added bonus of two full page spreads in the magazine when it finally came out. I almost think I can work for them at the outdoors since some Canadian riders participate but have to wait til closer to time.

http://www.kickballracing.com/misc/john/IMX.jpg