close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Super-sonic leading edge flaps?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Tennessee Slim, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

I was reading (yet another) thread about the pics of the silly faux fighter (F/A -37 Talon) in the Jessica Biel movie and noticed it had leading edge flaps. My first thought was yuh, right, first flight transonic, the shock wave’ll rip those puppies right off. Searching my storage banks, I can’t think of a single SS A/C with leading edge flaps. In fact, I’m thinking it won’t work for the reason already mentioned, which is why they’re limited to swing-wing as a means to vary camber.

Anybody know of an exception?

2. 40Cal

40Cal Modurbator

Kinda makes sense to me. I can't think of anything with leading edge devices that flies SS. The swing wing system always made a lot of sense to me anyway...why re-invent the wheel?

3. G21FAN

G21FAN Useless loser Millennium Member

4. flyandscuba

flyandscuba

Several military combat aircraft have had leading edge slats. The F-4 Phantom II and A-4 Skyhawk had them, before that -- the F-100, and F-86.

Here's an "experimental" fighter that has them: http://www.air-attack.com/page.php?pid=7

The F-16 and F/A-18 have them. Here is a good photo of an F-16 with leading edge slats extended to remain in formation with a P-51 Mustang.

[​IMG]

5. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Thanks, flyandscuba. I checked around (obviously not too seriously) and couldn't find any. I thought civilian A/C might be the most likeley exception but the Concord didn't have them either. Not being a jet jock I haven't spent much time around the leading edges of 'fast movers'.