close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

sun fla other panfish

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Jul 7, 2004.

1. noway

noway

A few weeks back, a GT'er PM me on my success with catching the peacock bass and I told him that it has suck for the last 2 yrs with me getting a hit and miss (more like a miss ) fashion. I've been targeting their smaller cousins which are in the same family of fishes known as a "cichlid".

This fish is a Mayan Cichlid aka ....Tiger fish , by the locals in SE-florida. The fish is a sub-tropical fish that loves the warm waters and mainly lives in Mexico/Central/South-american countries. You will not find this fish outside of SE-florida due to the cooler water temps. The states has no bag or size limits, since this a non-native fish that's endangering the local species game fish. The fish is easy to fish very similar to crappie or bluegill and will bite almost anything. I like to use my crappie rig and fish them with various jigs and just changing the body coloring to figure out what they are bitting on. Since everybody that come to florida figure bass and specs are the only 2 fish worthy of fishing alot of non-native fishes are running around in my parts ( peacock/mayan/oscar/tilapia )

The fish meat is 10x better than bass and 5x better than crappie and offers no harsh flavor but has a sweet soft like taste. The best way to cook these are to remove the head by cutting the fish behind the gill plate and pectoral fins. I like cooking mine with the skin pulled but some just like de-scaling the fish and cooking it as-is. You can bake/grill/fry this fish and it comes out perfect with a few bones around the thinner middle section. Just add salt/pepper and Cholula or Louisiana hot sauce.

The best areas in SE-florida are in Miami and Broward counties. You can fish this fish in the conservation area of #2 & #3 along the alligator-alley way and in Taylor Slough and Sharkriver Slough. Most canals in SE-fla have these fishes just waiting for you to throw a bait so don't be shy. The summer months are more productive than our 2 months of cool weather and the first time around mar-april when the waters are getting more warmer are the best time in general since you won't get sunburn and mosquito bitten or not as much. ;)

I add a few pictures of from a fish expedition that I did about 2weekends ago on one hot june day in the everglades in the Sharkriver slough. The smallest fish weighed in at 10oz and the largest was 1 lb 15oz. The fish are something bigger and the bigger ones are harder to catch or more selective in their strikes.

2. noway

noway

jigs heads used for fishing this fish

3. noway

noway

4. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

thats awesome!

i used to see those all the time when i was living in west palm.
    i used to catch alot of oscars too...great fighting fish

i usually used 2 minnows on the same hook struggling against each other under a bobber about 6 inches

the oscars would slowly swim by and roll their eyes toward the minnows and BAM! it was on

5. noway

noway

yeap the oscar are just about the same " a very willing and bitting fish". I find the Cichlids to be a better taste than the oscars.
    ;)

6. shrpshtr

shrpshtr

thanks for sharing noway.

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Noway,

This is "one bad looking fish Hoss!
    I don't think we are going to find one of these in the creek out back here in W.Tex! :)

Great pics man !

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Noway,

Hey, 'I ain't' trying to get your thread 'off topic,' but one quick question here. I saw on the news where there is a bad raging fire in Dade co. FL. Is that effecting you?
    Just Curious!

Be careful!

CanyonMan

9. noway

noway

Nope, but it's effecting my fishing spot. ;)

Where I caught these cichlids is only like 10 miles west of that fire major location.

The gun range property ( Tropical Gun Range IIRC ) & portions of the indian reservation where effected.

Pretty much most of the fire is contained and controlled. Alot smoke but most of that blew into Miami .

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Be careful at the creek. and carry 'plenty of water!' :)

CM