Sump pump recommendations

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by harlenm, Mar 14, 2010.

1. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I have a Zoeller M53 now with no backup pump. If the power goes out, I have about 30 seconds to get my generator running and the pump plugged into it or my basement will be underwater. So, I want to upgrade to a system with a primary pump and a battery powered backup pump. I need as powerful of a pump as possible.

Zoeller makes 2 battery powered pumps, a 507 and a 510. The 507 isn't powerful enough, and the 510 is $600 plus a battery and installation.

Basement Watchdog has a nice combo setup that is $350 plus another $150 for the battery. It's a drop in replacement, just cut the pipe and install it.

My question is does anyone have any experience with pumps from them? My Zoeller has failed twice in the past few years. Once I ended up with over a foot of water in my basement and needed the fire department to pump it. The other time was yesterday and since it was in the very beginning of the rainstorm, I was able to get it working before any water came in.

Here is the link to the one I would buy, the BW4000
    http://www.basementwatchdog.com/combo_sump_pump.htm

2. Unlocked

Unlocked 4 8 15 16 23 42 CLM

Check into a water powered backup pump. Home Depot and Lowes both carry them now. Of course if you are on well water then this won't be an option for you.

3. harlenm

Yes, have a well.

4. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

I have seen some setups where the pump is connected to a deep cycle battery, and the battery is connected to the house current.

Sounds like you need two of each.

5. harlenm

The system I linked to above is exactly what I need. Just looking for reviews of that brand, or another recommendation of a good reliable pump system.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'm not a fan of watch dogs(I prefer Zoeller) at all. They are cheap for a reason... Just about all the battery backups are halfway decent(even the watch dog).. the main problem with them is people do not maintain them. They neglect the battery, and other maintenance that battery backups require... then when the battery backup is needed, the pump is bad, or the battery is bad, etc.. So whatever you get, READ THE MAINTENANCE SECTION OF THE MANUAL. Also make sure you use a marine battery, and the battery is off the floor(build a shelf)

If I can make one other suggestion... A lot of plumbers don't do this, but to me, you have to be brain dead not to. If you install a battery backup, run a separate discharge line for it. It doesn't have to be 100ft long, just 10-12ft to get it away from the house. To often plumbers and homeowners, tie a battery backup, into the discharge w/ the primary pump... What happens? The line clogs w/ dirt, debris, etc.. and stops allowing the water to discharge from the main pump. The main pump will continually run trying to pump the water out, and eventually burn out. Then the backup does its job, kicks on, and starts trying to push water out the same pipe, hitting the same obstruction. Usually the backup pump burns out or the battery dies in this situation. So basically, you've spent all this money to protect your basement from water damage, and because someone didn't really think it through, you'd have been better off just saving up for the insurance deductible..

Edit: I just read what I posted, and it may not seem clear.. What I was advocating, is going to require significantly more work(new sump discharge line, quite possibly a new sump pit.) It however, offers the best protection.

IGF

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  7. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

You could check the local codes. In my last house I got a permit to tie my sump pump into the house's drain system.

So, I stopped 'recycling water', which is pumping it out, then the water filters back below and gets pumped out again.

8. harlenm

My sump pump ties into the storm drains, so i don't have to worry about where the water goes.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

You do if during a heavy rain, the city system backs up. I hate sounding negative, but I have saw SO MANY nice basements absolutely wrecked because of poor installation/planning when installing a battery backup.

IGF

10. harlenm

It won't, it's all downhill from my house.

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Well.. like I said.. I wish you luck.. I can't tell you the customers houses I've been where I was standing in 2ft of water and heard "I never thought..."

IGF

12. harlenm

If the storm drain backs up, the pump will dump the water outside of my house. It looks like this.

[​IMG]

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Now that is smart.. did you have that done afterwards? Most installers/builders never think that far ahead here... I actually don't think I've ever even seen one of those. Most of the time when I've dealt w/ people who want battery backups, it's happened because something happened to their sump line, rather than their sump pump. Here, ours are totally sealed(where yours is open, ours typically just have a 90 fitting going down) and glued together.

Looking at what you have there, the watchdog would be fine w/o a separate pump, so long as its properly maintained.

14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Is this a indoor swimming pool you are trying to keep empty? If the water comes in that quick if pump not running maybe a basement should not have been built there??? (Water table, slope,etc)
    My wife had two sump pumps with independent circuts/discharges/etc. If we had kept the place the next step would have been to get automatic generator tied to #2.
    good luck.

15. rboatright

rboatright

http://www.radonseal.com/pumps/battery-sump-pumps.htm

Here's my take.

1) I think your battery should be utterly a seperate purchase from the pump. The high capacity pump on that page will run 24 hours on a marine deep cycle battery. They suggest hooking up 2. :)

2) The pump is a suction pump that lives high and dry OUTSIDE the sump, that's a good thing for a backup. It's SAFE.

I like this a lot, the prices are reasonable, and the whole thing makes more sense.

16. harlenm

I didn't think of it. It's a standard part to an install from basementsystems.com. It's designed as an ice backup, that if the discharge pipe gets frozen or clogged, there is still a way for the water to get out of the house, even if it's dumping it right outside the foundation wall. That's not a photo of my house, it's just a stock image from their website.

17. harlenm

I actually really like the idea of that. Going to research.

18. harlenm

I'm gonna order the basement watchdog system. Its got the most powerful backup pump, and the easiest installation. Also has the lowest price.

One question, do I have to use their battery, or can I use any marine battery?

19. Glock1963

Glock1963

Welcome to my world.

I love my house from the ground up, but the last few years have been record setters in the rain department. My Zoeller has been running more than usual. I have a generator but, like you, I would have to be home to ensure no damage is done. I don't have a finished basement but I still don't want water getting into my furnace, water heater, washer and dryer, etc.

The local guys in the biz that I know don't think too much about the watch dog set ups. If your pump is running a lot the batteries won't pull it for very long. I am thinking about putting another pump and maybe a Generac generator in if I decide to stay where I am at.

I doubt if I ever have another house with a basement, though. Too many potential problems with them for the few advantages they offer.

20. Glock1963

Glock1963

No offense, but telling someone after the fact that a basement should not have been built there is a little on the futile side. His basement IS there and he is looking for viable options for the situation at hand.

However, having said that... I agree with you and 2nd your advice in the last part of your post. The best step and most reliable would be to have a 2nd pump installed, but I would have them both hooked up to an automatic generator.