GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Native Mainiac
18,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to cut summer short this year. Due to dry weather, the lake is a couple feet low, and didn't want to risk having a real problem getting the boat onto the trailer. I use an old road that goes into the lake to launch and pull my boat.
The campground at the other end of the lake has a gravel ramp, and I would scuttle my boat before paying to use that. Besides, doubt if it is in much better shape.

I have a bunk trailer, but thinking of putting roller on next spring to make shallow water launching and landing a little easier. I was able to land the boat in low water that wouldn't cover th bunks, but it would be impossible to launch it....the winch doesn't "push" worth a dang.

I'll still canoe or kayak until ice -in, but for me, this signals end of summer.

What is your event that makes the season change to fall??

Boat 1 Oct 2020.jpg

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I don’t put my boat away until Dec. Usually toward the end.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I pulled my personal boat monday. I'm gonna shrinknwrap it here in the next few days. Yep, summers over.

·
Have you seen me?
12,686 Posts
Had to cut summer short this year. Due to dry weather, the lake is a couple feet low, and didn't want to risk having a real problem getting the boat onto the trailer. I use an old road that goes into the lake to launch and pull my boat.
The campground at the other end of the lake has a gravel ramp, and I would scuttle my boat before paying to use that. Besides, doubt if it is in much better shape.

I have a bunk trailer, but thinking of putting roller on next spring to make shallow water launching and landing a little easier. I was able to land the boat in low water that wouldn't cover th bunks, but it would be impossible to launch it....the winch doesn't "push" worth a dang.

I'll still canoe or kayak until ice -in, but for me, this signals end of summer.

What is your event that makes the season change to fall??

View attachment 840692
Typically, I know things are moving along nicely with the opening of tree rat season in mid-August. September 1st is when the fun begins, though! Dove and early goose open, with wood duck and teal close behind.

Right now, I'm enjoying the evening and watching the sun set while bow hunting in a tree stand.

·
Native Mainiac
18,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good looking boat. How was the fishing this year?
Was sub-par on the lake this year. The word got out a few years ago about the big smallmouths and a lot of folks don't do the "catch and release" thing. While not bad eating, I've only kept a few bass that I have hooked deeply. Not like trout or salmon.

·
Just lack finishing up
3,388 Posts
Was sub-par on the lake this year. The word got out a few years ago about the big smallmouths and a lot of folks don't do the "catch and release" thing. While not bad eating, I've only kept a few bass that I have hooked deeply. Not like trout or salmon.
Envy you a bit being right on the water. Makes it sweet for boating/fishing. Too bad about this year's fishing. Bet you it's better next year. :fishing:

·
Venor ergo sum
3,315 Posts
The temperature up in Tucson can be counted on to be under 100 degrees.

·
Mentally Frozen
24,817 Posts
Won't be long and you can play with your ice hole.

·
Mentally Frozen
24,817 Posts
Saw three moose today in the Teton's. The Aspen have turned a beautiful golden color.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
I got a new boat and plan on fishing every month of the year. It will obviously slow down soon but we have enough moderately warm days in any given month to get out a day or two at least.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I'm too smart to have a boat, ;) and even smarter to have a best friend with a boat, and he moves his boat to the Florida Atlantic coast or Cancun for the winter, and we fish down there. :dancingbanana:

Reactions: FullClip

·
Native Mainiac
18,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you ever tried “liquid rollers”?

MaryKate Liquid Rollers Trailer Bunk Board Lubricant https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00144EZJ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_Y2LDFbCFT3Z9Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I sprayed down the carpet on the bunks with silicone lube before landing the boat. But when the bunks are an inch out of the water it's a tough job winching the thing up.

I want to try to put rollers on and have them lower than the bunks. Bad thing at the "ramp" that I use is when the water gets this low, there is a "reef" I have to deal with, where the water is only about 8" deep in places, have to get out and guide the boat between the big rocks. Just bought new hip boots and waders after years of living with leaky ones.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts