close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Summer ADC work

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mpol777, May 9, 2006.

1. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

A friend and I are helping out a local sheep rancher. He's got a large pasture that's too much for his guard animals and with the lambs dropping he's taking a lot of losses from coyotes.

We ran the denning crew around and it's looking like most are commuting in. The traps went in last week. The big problem with that is the 5 guard dogs. There's scuttle holes and sign right up on the pasture, but catching a guard dog isn't high on the list so we have to work back.

I think we should have him squared away in a short while and he's listened to reason about this winter. I'd much rather be taking coyotes when the fur is prime. I'll hunt coyotes for free, ADC costs money. With those sheep, that place is going to be a magnet for them year round. Even with hunting he'll still need some protection, but not like it is without it.

This is the third call I've been on so far this year. The last two were dens. Real simple there. Minimum impact on the coyotes and maximum return. Since ADC has to be that's the way it should go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

That is A GREAT PIC.

That dog looks like he is surely putting the KI-YA to the yote.

wow, just wow!

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

She's a special case. The big boys above her are mostly just denning and trapping dogs. She can do it all. Just a little wisp of a thing and only a year and half old. Runs like there's no tomorrow and can toll a coyote like it's on a fishing line. Still she's got all the grit in the world. The only one better I've ever seen is the momma to one of my pups.

I'm hoping to that when my pup is ready we can breed the two. Should make for a hell of a good litter. Of course my pups are only 4 months, so we've got some time. :)

They'll get their introduction come October on coyotes. I won't run them for lions or bear for another year after that if I can keep them off of them.

I don't care much for ADC, but it makes dogs.

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

This is promissing. 2 more inches and it would have been a large time this morning.

[​IMG]

5. noway

noway

3rd picture down in the 1st post, is that a terrier? a Airdale?

6. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

All 3 are Airedales. The other two are of the slick coat variety.

The one you pointed out is my Willie pup's daddy. His momma has the curly coat and he's a pretty good mix. A bit of hair but it doesn't look like he'll need clipped, which is good. Less to maintain and get stuff caught in.

My other pup is a Airedale/Walker cross. He's already started to show some nose. Terrier grit and a hound nose backed up by a full blood airedale... these boys are gonna be a crack pair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. noway

noway

{The other two are of the slick coat variety}

okay I see the meaning now. The other pictures didn't show this ;) I'm used to the ones in the 3rd picture with shaggy coats.

Interesting..... I thought airdales wheren't dat good of a dog for hunting sports like this. learn something new everyday.

8. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

They're good at some things and poor at others, like most working dogs. Although some folks have trained them to retrieve birds, this line would most likely consume them. :)

They run hard, fast and long. Have a good nose, but they're 'head up' and a cold trail isn't for them. They'll wind and ground at the same time, but when they see what they're after they'll skip the trail alltogether. In a mixed pack of hounds and airedales I don't think a man could do better in this country. Hounds might give up a tree if you don't get there fast enough and keep trailing. An airedale will sit on a tree for days until it gets to chew on what's up there. They don't mind holes and they'll go into 'marine mode' (read: kill stuff and break things) right quick.

For tolling coyotes it takes a special type. One that has it between the ears to be patient and lure in the coyote knowing you're there to stick a bullet in it and then they can go to work.

For general tracking the mix of sight and scent is good here since the ground doesn't hold scent for anything. Just too dry. And for safety sake, 2 good airedales can handle anything in this country besides the odd jaguar up from Old Mex.

Once these pups get another year or two on I'll add a couple good hounds. Maybe in 10 years I can give 'ole Warner Glenn a run for his money. Nah... probably take 40. :)

9. Pitt

Pitt Gangstalicious

Mpol777,

I didn't know you were a dog man. You doing bounty work for the Guvmint or just local stockmen? I read your posts on S&P, but I didn't know we had the dogwork (my terriers hunt men) in common.

10. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Local folks mostly. Sometimes the G&F boys will come in for a favor. One of my buddies said it pretty well. "If you can't do it with a dog, it probably ain't worth doing."

:)