Suicide Prevention

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 686Owner, Sep 5, 2015.

1. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I feel compelled to post this for some reason. Depending on what online article I read this is either nation suicide prevention month, week, or national suicide prevention day is coming up.

At work, we lost a co-worker. I had little interaction with her, but I find it incredibly sad. She did not seem overly outgoing at work, but not many of us do. Just a few people that we talk to on a daily basis.

Looking at her social media profiles, she had tons of friends outside of work. Not just online friends, but weekly pictures of her going out with them, and working out with them. She was very into fitness. She was even out with friends the night on her last night.

She was a military veteran. I found a brochure amongst her work stuff about an organization that helps military vets integrate back into society.

No one saw this coming of course. I think it could be said that anyone and everyone is willing to help someone in need. If she had reached out, or if we knew to reach out to her, we would have helped in whatever capacity we could.

Just putting this out there unsure of its purpose or clear message. I know some here have lost family members to suicide as well. Sometimes you just don't know what someone is going through.

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

My Father killed himself when I was young.

There is a lot of talk about suicide. Most is by people that don't know what the hell they are talking about.
    They use, what they think are cute, but are just stupid sayings like, "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem".

Fact is, if you haven't been to the point of pulling the trigger on yourself, you really can't understand.

MB-G26, IndyGunFreak, nmk and 2 others like this.

3. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I too lost a coworker to suicide a few years ago.

His marriage had dissolved because of his drug and physical abuse but he seemed to have turned things around. He became distraught when his ex decided to move to another state with the kids and her new boyfriend. He really loved his kids. We had talked about what was going on in his life a couple of days earlier and I knew he was very down but I didn't see it coming either.

It was very tough seeing what it did to his mother and father. Sometimes I think I should have been more attentive.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

Sniffler likes this.
  4. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

My next door neighbor's son jumped from the Golden Gate Bridge, quite a few years ago. He was a grown man when he did it. He had been in and out of rehab for drug and alcohol abuse and had moved home (next door) as a step out of his last trip through the clinic.

The day he took his life, he told his father (my neighbor), "I am not sure I want to live if I can't be high" Later that day he jumped. It took a week or so before they found his body, but with his car parked very near the bridge, I think my neighbor kind of knew what had happened pretty quickly.

I know my neighbor would not agree with this, but I believe some people are beyond help.

Sniffler likes this.
  5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I think this is common. We don't see it coming. Although mostly we couldn't do anything anyhow.

Sometimes if you know the person well enough you may be able to push the right button.
    For instance,
    a fellow's Wife died. He loved her very much and she was everything to the man.
    The man did not want to live without her.
    The couple had some cats and dogs they loved.
    The man's best friend told the man, you have to continue to live to take care of the animals your Wife loved.
    This forced the man to keep living.

6. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Years ago when I lived in Mobile, I volunteered on a suicide prevention hotline. Could only work there a few years, got burned out. We helped a few people, but lost more than we saved. Heard some terrible stories.

wp

Glock&KimberLady likes this.
  7. Bruce M

Bruce M

A mental health professional I know who has achieved some notice in his specific field nationally has suggested that there is a point at which a person is not longer considering it but has made a decision and from that point the best that usually can be done is to physically delay it for a while. I have known a couple people who I had thought had life better than I ever would, who killed themselves and I felt badly that I never saw any signs of it.

8. Rotn1

Rotn1

I don't understand it and hope I never do.

I realized years ago how differently people think and process things. I just assume won't ever, even slightly be able to put myself in their space.

Sad as life is so short to begin with.

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I guess helping even one person can be called a victory.

10. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

I have a friend who is struggling right now. He's been throu a series of crappy relationships because he has terrible taste in men, had a hip replacement that went totally sideways*, is in terrible pain, and just found out he has non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Started chemo a few days ago and is feeling the effects of that as well. He is very tired and miserable and has started making a few worrying comments. I've been in the same dark place as him with pain and depression but not to his level and more than once I considered taking a walk into the woods with a pistol, off my property to spare my kids. Ultimately, I made it through and I'm hoping that he will too. So this is timely.

* he was supposed to have a hip replacement. Unbeknownst to him, the admitting nurse marked him as Medicaid/Indigent (despite having the same insurance as I did, and presenting his cards, likely because black). So surgeon opted to - again without his knowledge - something like a grind and resurface. But billed Medicaid for a hip replacement, and also billed him for the price of the surgery as well. Ultimately he found out when requesting his records, discovered there were two sets of bills or something of that nature. A total mess. Once the subterfuge was uncovered, he underwent the proper surgery some time later. I may not have all the details right, but basically he's gone through two very painful surgeries in a short time and then got popped with the cancer stick.

11. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

Kids do that. Kids totally rob you of the option to stick your .45 in your mouth, no matter how miserable and in pain you happen to be.

MB-G26 likes this.
  12. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

This girl had a couple of dogs, but I guess it wasn't enough. I'm not sure what happened to them.

No one at work seemed to know this girl was struggling. She was in great health and lifted weights.

13. peng

peng

I can only speak from experience with my Dad's suicidal psychotic break after my Mom's passing from ovarian cancer 6 years ago.

Thoughts of suicide due to an medical/pain issue are unique and understandable in my mind.

Depression related causes (like my Dad), however, are different. You cannot tell the person to "cheer up", or "snap out of it". They need help that you cannot possibly provide or understand. For us, it took my Moms hospice social worker to enlighten us to this, and then it took aggressive action to help. This meant we had to contrive to get him to say the magic phrase to a health care official (I want to hurt myself or others) so he could be forcibly committed to an institution for about 2 weeks so he could get the chemical help he needed. It has not been 100% smooth sailing since then, with 1 recurrence, but had it not been for that angel of mercy from the hospice organization, I cannot tell how our situation would have evolved.

14. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

I lost my brother to suicide 2.5 years ago. I have learned a lot about suicide since then. I have to agree about the cliche phrases people use. They don't have a clue.
    I read a book afterwards that has helped me, and may help others who would like info about the subject. The book is titled "Finding Peace, Without All the Pieces" It is available for your device on Amazon.

MB-G26 likes this.
  15. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

In my mind there are no better people on earth than hospice workers.

wp

nursetim and huskerbuttons like this.
  16. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I don't understand why admitting to wanting to "end it" automatically get you committed and drugged.

I've been through near-fatal illnesses before and I decided a long, long time ago that when I've had enough, I will go on my own terms, if I have that ability.

(Ever see that lady on the cigarette commercial that looks like a cross between Skeletor and Frankenstein's monster? Or Roger Ebert with his face prosthesis? I would never volunteer for that type of medical intervention and if the pain became so unbearable, or I was such a burden to everyone around me, I WILL decide my own fate.)

nursetim likes this.
  17. peng

peng

Like I said in my previous post, his violent desires had nothing to do with a physical pain or terminal illness which I can understand. I might even do the same myself if that were the case. He had a psychotic break, and literally could not distinguish reality from paranoid delusion, and it was the delusion that was controlling his behavior. Once that went away the transformation back to healthy was nothing short of astonishing to watch. I thank God for that Hospice professional every day.

18. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

We all face moments of unbearable pain.

There are a lot of ways to solve that problem. At least one is instant.

As long as that is true, people will kill themselves.

MB-G26 likes this.
  19. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

We are all glad that man chose to take care of his animals.

MB-G26, nursetim and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  20. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

Sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with how ones life is, good or not.

MB-G26 likes this.