Suicide bomber attacks CIA base. At least 8 Americans dead

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Weiser 878, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...12/30/AR2009123000201.html?hpid=moreheadlines

A suicide bomber blew himself up Wednesday inside an Afghan military base used by the CIA, killing at least eight Americans in what is believed to be the deadliest single attack on U.S. intelligence personnel in the eight-year-long war, U.S. officials said.

The bomber managed to slip past security at Forward Operating Base Chapman in the eastern province of Khost before detonating an explosive belt in what one U.S. official described as a room used as a fitness center. The blast also wounded eight people, several of them seriously, U.S. government officials said.

It was not immediately clear how the assailant was able to infiltrate the U.S.-run post, which serves as an operations and surveillance center for the CIA near the Afghanistan-Pakistan border. U.S. sources confirmed that all the dead and injured were civilians, adding that most of them were probably CIA employees or contractors. At least one Afghan civilian was also killed, the sources said.

While many details remain uncertain, the attack appears to have killed more U.S. intelligence personnel than have died since the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan began in late 2001. The CIA has previously acknowledged the deaths of four officers in fighting in Afghanistan in the past eight years.

"It is the nightmare we've been anticipating since we went into Afghanistan and Iraq," said John E. McLaughlin, a former CIA deputy director who now serves on a board that supports children of CIA officers slain on the job. "Our people are often out on the front line, without adequate force protection, and they put their lives quite literally in jeopardy."

The CIA has been quietly bolstering its ranks in Afghanistan in recent weeks, mirroring the surge of military troops in the country. Agency officers coordinated the initial U.S.-led attack on Afghanistan in 2001 and have since provided hundreds of spies, paramilitary operatives and analysts in the region for roles ranging from counterterrorism to counter-narcotics. The agency also operates the remote-control aircraft used in aerial strikes on suspected al-Qaeda and Taliban fighters in the lawless tribal provinces on the Pakistani side of the border.

U.S. military officials and diplomats confirmed Wednesday's attack and the eight civilian deaths. "We mourn the loss of life in this attack," State Department spokesman Ian Kelly said.

Before Wednesday's attack, the number of U.S. deaths in Afghanistan this year had reached 309, the highest one-year total since the start of the war. Eleven U.S. military personnel have been killed since Dec. 1.

Staff writers Karen DeYoung and Michael Shear and researcher Julie Tate contributed to this report.

2. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

3. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Wonder what took so long for them to do this? Too bad about the dead and wounded, but there will be more.

4. G19 Elite

G19 Elite Elite

Wow...now Chapman will be even more of a target with the Washington Post stating that its a CIA base all over the newspaper.

5. G19 Elite

G19 Elite Elite

That came off as pretty disrespectful. You can take that junk somewhere else.

6. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. But that's how I see things. Sorry I am not PC enough for you but that's how I am about a lot of things. I have enough infractions to back the lack of PC part up as well. Don't know why people get so upset when a person states fact and truth based on their perspective.

7. G19 Elite

G19 Elite Elite

Yeah I guess its easy to be that way about alot of things from the safety and comfort of your home. Don't patronize the warriors of this country that fight and give their lives for you to have that BS attitude.

8. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Dude, I did 14 years in the Navy, discharged on a medical, so I don't believe I am patronizing anyone. If you have a problem with it, that's your problem not mine. I am tired of tip toeing around everyone else's feelings.

9. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

Damn that sucks. Now they are attacking intelligence operatives.

10. aomagrat

aomagrat

Maybe terrorist looked middle eastern and security was afraid to screen him lest they be accused of profiling.

11. bennwj

bennwj Command Sergeant Major (retired) Silver Member

You took the words right out of my mouth.

12. bennwj

bennwj Command Sergeant Major (retired) Silver Member

More likely they were para-military folks....... They train a bunch of locals and go out and make trouble. They are a really brave bunch of guys.

13. deadday

deadday

Damn brother, go take a valium or something...there was nothing disrespectful in his comment, just some hard truths..

14. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Sad for those folks.

Afgan looks to be Obama's Nam.
    :supergrin:

15. deadday

deadday

:upeyes:

16. G33

:rofl:

17. deadday

deadday

I'm glad you find this topic humorous..

18. G33

Just you.
    :supergrin::supergrin:

19. Z71bill

Z71bill

I would guess the bomber knew he was taking out CIA - or maybe more accurate to say the people who sent him knew.

Someone on the inside helped / gave them info would also be a good guess.

20. marv

marv Millennium Member

There is entirely too much freedom of information. In WWII these dam editors and reporters would have been shot for treason.